Sponsored by:

Laundry list of software issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 01:23 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Laundry list of software issues

Hi All,

Love my Defender, and while I knew I was getting into a car of questionable mechanical integrity (I've owned several LR's), this car has managed to more than surpass any other LR I've owned in terms of it's inferior quality. It's already been in for windows not working and transmission shifting to neutral in it's 1st week and 2 months in I have a long laundry list of other items to deal with, most notably the A/C, not working. Arguable outside of the motor running and the brakes stopping the car would assume windows and A/C and windows would be in the next 3-4 things that should work lol.

Anyway I have a list of 5-6 things from the software side that are not working. I have done a Pivi reset to no avail and am wondering if the factory reset option is worth trying or just let the dealer deal with it. Currently the wireless charging does not work, no service internal is showing in the Pivi, I can't update the software, the balance/fade option for the stereo is flip flopped (yes seriously) and the subwoofer levels button has disappeared in the setting completely.. Fun stuff for sure.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had issues with the shift to neutral in autostart/stop (regularly), issues with the A/C (just once), and had the subwoofer disappear as well (but that fixed itself somehow?).

Old 09-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

Well my weird software issue was all due to a weak, albeit new battery (replaced about three days after delivery). The screen stopped responding and then the backup cam came on on its own while on the interstate (rather nauseating). Luckily I was enroute to the dealer when all this happened for an appointment. I had determined the battery was soft (at this point around 6 months old) and apparently its voltage dips caused all the software issues. It was giving me the three farty beeps noises several times a week and asking if I could start it up and charge it. I did get the CTEK charger and it would bring it back up, but only for a day or two. It never detected the battery was not all it could be. They put in a new battery and did a 'Hard Reset' on the system and all has been well since. Of course part of the issue on the dying battery may be due to its not being driven for two months while I was on project in Namibia. I suppose It need to put it on the CTEK while I go away since there is some draw while the beast sits and slumbers. Interesting in the fact the CTEK is only $85 on Amazon and the one with a Land Rover Logo on it is almost $400 for the same unit, and the Amazon supplied unit comes with the connector & wires to make a permanent connection to the jump points in the engine bay.

Old 09-13-2022, 02:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

Can you explain your A/C issues some more? Does it not work at all or go in and out?

Old 09-13-2022, 02:57 PM
Mudding

I was on a trip returning home a month ago and noticed I had to turn the A/C a couple degree lower to get cooler. Then again a week ago a couple degrees cooler to get cold. Then a few days ago it stopped blowing cold completely. Now it works fine. So it's all over the place. I've read there are issues with ductwork that could be causing this on the forums here.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mlw911
I was on a trip returning home a month ago and noticed I had to turn the A/C a couple degree lower to get cooler. Then again a week ago a couple degrees cooler to get cold. Then a few days ago it stopped blowing cold completely. Now it works fine. So it's all over the place. I've read there are issues with ductwork that could be causing this on the forums here.
Did it ever stop blowing completely or just cold?

I have had some weird issues too and have noticed some things that are just different compared to other cars.

My dealer told me this and half the stuff they say isn't true so take it as that. They said that LR will modify the temp of the air regardless of what its set to based on outside temp. I still think this is wack but I was driving in 68 degree weather and set the AC to 72 degrees which to me should still be cool air (was in my Volvo) but it started blowing hot air. When I asked them whats up they say because it was cold outside the defender was heating the car to get it to 72 degrees. Took it in multiple times for that and that's the end result that I got.

The not blowing at all - I had my ac just completely turn off every now and then including fan. Changing the fan speed did absolutely nothing and it was completely dead. If I reset the car it would work fine for awhile. The dealer had to do a complete reset of that module in order for that to go away. Has been fine for 12k miles since then.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

Of your issues.. a few are well known and documented fixes:
-Not charging on wireless charger - software / hardware update and it's because of magnetic / MagSafe interference
-Going into neutral - power train module update likely needed
-The service interval not showing isn't really an issue, it happens on mine from time to time (ie my 2020 X did not show an interval until around 8000 miles then I noticed that it showed up ... for the 20K service)
- Get them up update your pivi software if other issues

Not sure about AC or windows but -- my strong suggestion would be to book an appointment, drop it off at the dealer with a typed list of issues, get a loaner or rental car (or drive one of your others) and don't worry about it.

The following users liked this post:
SoCalDef (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 06:05 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by inater
Did it ever stop blowing completely or just cold?

I have had some weird issues too and have noticed some things that are just different compared to other cars.

My dealer told me this and half the stuff they say isn't true so take it as that. They said that LR will modify the temp of the air regardless of what its set to based on outside temp. I still think this is wack but I was driving in 68 degree weather and set the AC to 72 degrees which to me should still be cool air (was in my Volvo) but it started blowing hot air. When I asked them whats up they say because it was cold outside the defender was heating the car to get it to 72 degrees. Took it in multiple times for that and that's the end result that I got.

The not blowing at all - I had my ac just completely turn off every now and then including fan. Changing the fan speed did absolutely nothing and it was completely dead. If I reset the car it would work fine for awhile. The dealer had to do a complete reset of that module in order for that to go away. Has been fine for 12k miles since then.

No, I’ve not had that type of problem. Fan speed worked fine just not blowing cold enough and then only warm now cold again.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:09 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Of your issues.. a few are well known and documented fixes:
-Not charging on wireless charger - software / hardware update and it's because of magnetic / MagSafe interference
-Going into neutral - power train module update likely needed
-The service interval not showing isn't really an issue, it happens on mine from time to time (ie my 2020 X did not show an interval until around 8000 miles then I noticed that it showed up ... for the 20K service)
- Get them up update your pivi software if other issues

Not sure about AC or windows but -- my strong suggestion would be to book an appointment, drop it off at the dealer with a typed list of issues, get a loaner or rental car (or drive one of your others) and don't worry about it.

Shifting into neutral and windows were fixed quickly within days of receipt and have been fine since. Stereo is the most annoying thing as it’s very buggy. Oh and the windshield wiper stuttering since new. I need them to check that too. Highly annoying. I can live with it all just the multitude of glitches on the software front beat ya down lol.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

I had issues after every software update and figured out it was due to poor cell service where I live, causing the updates to not load correctly. So now when I get a "software update available" message and want it to load, I turn off the Defender cellular service and make sure it is connected to my home wifi instead. I even bought an extra router and put it in the garage to be sure the signal is strong.

Another factor that makes the AC temp fluctuate is the sun sensor. When sun hits it, the Defender decides to crank up the cold air. Or, when cloudy, you may need to drop the temp setting yourself to get the same cabin temperature.

The following users liked this post:
mlw911 (09-15-2022)