2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lexus GX Over Trail

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 04:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,338 Likes on 662 Posts

Large rims/small sidewalls are really more about bent rims than they are flatted tires. The tire compresses till it can't compress any more because it comes in contact with the rim, and if there's still energy in the "strike" it will now be absorbed by the rim.

The following users liked this post:
curb-optional (04-23-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 06:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
If you're in a state like NJ, just wait - you will.... just kidding. You've got about 5 inches? of rubber sandwiched between the pothole's edge and your 5,000 lbs of Defender mass. Eventually, you hit a jagged edge somewhere. If you just bang straight down, the air suspension is terrific and maybe you've missed the edges. It's when you hit something sharp... granite curbs along the street are another hazard. snow plows bang them, the granite chips, then you get sharp granite. if you ever watch the tfl guys, they love defender and took one really early on up a trail. their defender probably lacked the air suspension, which i think is helpful in accepting some of the force (so the tire doesn't have to), but that's just a guess. In any event, it's terrific you've not had a flat, but i'm skeptical a 22" rim is a good choice if you're concerned with getting flats, but that's just me. on a 22" rim you can choose an all terrain tire, which gives you better odds. a larger sidewall is more likely to be protective to the tire, but as your experience has been, it's not the only consideration. some goodyear's have kevlar, and can fit a 22" rim, so there's that. climate matters too - i have a harsh winter and a baking summer - a few of those cycles can impact tire life expectancy. even the rubber TMPS tubes need replacing, as they too get brittle. how's the ride quality? have you noticed a trade off in terms of ride quality on the large rims vs smaller?
I'm in RI and Mass, pot hole city. I've had 22 inch wheels for 6 years or so with no issues. Comfort is not an issue as these cars are tuned for larger wheels. It's pretty incredible how well the Range Rover rides on them. The Defender is much more noticeable.

curb-optional (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 02:48 PM
Mudding
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

you hit the nail - I am sure the full size RR on 21" rims is different than a Defender on that same rim, as the RR likely has more tuning for comfort. I've never tested a RR, as that's not for me. (I've driven for weeks the velar and evoke as loaners, but those are not the RR). I'm looking at Defender only, and I can pick anything from 19-22", with the most common seeming to be the 20". My current LR has 18" rims and no air suspension (it's a bit rough, but NOT a wrangler). the 20" rim 110 3.0L I drove was wonderful - it had air suspension. but it wasn't as smooth as I would have thought. I also had tested a 2.0L and that probably had 19"s, but I don't recall. I remember it being exceptionally smooth. I'm looking for the least Wrangler like Defender, and so I'm leaning toward the 19"s. The 20"s I tested were great - but wouldn't a bit more air be a bit more smooth?

Old 04-23-2024, 03:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by curb-optional
you hit the nail - I am sure the full size RR on 21" rims is different than a Defender on that same rim, as the RR likely has more tuning for comfort. I've never tested a RR, as that's not for me. (I've driven for weeks the velar and evoke as loaners, but those are not the RR). I'm looking at Defender only, and I can pick anything from 19-22", with the most common seeming to be the 20". My current LR has 18" rims and no air suspension (it's a bit rough, but NOT a wrangler). the 20" rim 110 3.0L I drove was wonderful - it had air suspension. but it wasn't as smooth as I would have thought. I also had tested a 2.0L and that probably had 19"s, but I don't recall. I remember it being exceptionally smooth. I'm looking for the least Wrangler like Defender, and so I'm leaning toward the 19"s. The 20"s I tested were great - but wouldn't a bit more air be a bit more smooth?
My 2016 RRS w/air susp on 21" wheels felt similar in terms of smoothness to my Defender w/ air. You can just feel the 'tallness' more with Defender with bit more wind noise and top heaviness.

I swapped out the stock 20" wheels and stock pirelli all-seasons (I hate all pirelli tires) with 22" Urban wheels paired with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 all seasons. Zero difference in smoothness or ride quality going from 20" to 22". The Michelins track straigher too.

I also live in a pothole area and have no concern losing the extra one inch of sidewall. If I go offroading next year I can throw a beefier tire on the stock wheels.

curb-optional (04-24-2024)