2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Rods vs. IIDTool for Custom Ride Height: Pros and Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 09:52 AM
4wd Low
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lift Rods vs. IIDTool for Custom Ride Height: Pros and Cons?

Howdy everyone,

I've been pondering the differences between installing lift rods and using the IIDTool to set a custom ride height. To my understanding, both methods achieve the same goal: one through hardware, the other through software.

The IIDTool seems like the more versatile option, allowing adjustments as needed. However, I'm curious if there are any potential downsides to using the IIDTool that I might be overlooking.

Any insights or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, JPS

Old 05-20-2024, 10:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by jpschwinghamer
Howdy everyone,

I've been pondering the differences between installing lift rods and using the IIDTool to set a custom ride height. To my understanding, both methods achieve the same goal: one through hardware, the other through software.

The IIDTool seems like the more versatile option, allowing adjustments as needed. However, I'm curious if there are any potential downsides to using the IIDTool that I might be overlooking.

Thanks, JPS
I have no experience with the IIDTool, but considered it when I was first building my Defender. I opted to order the 1.5" rods and throw them in my recovery bag in back. Other than testing them for fit and to familiarize myself with how to install so I could do it in the field, I've never put them in. Definitely wouldn't ride around with them all the time. But then, I run wheel/tire combos that fit and would only use the rods or the IID Tool for actual rock-crawling where getting the body a little higher has benefit. But so far, I've not felt the need for them so they sit in the back.

In your shoes I'd order a cheap set of rods and see if you need them and how much trouble they are to install (very little) and then weigh that experience against the cost of the programmer.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by jpschwinghamer
Howdy everyone,

Thanks, JPS
If you are buying a GAP tool. And there are many great reasons do do so. Lift rods are obsolete.

GAP provides a lift/lower for minutes or months on demand. Activate it on the fly. It does what a LLAMS kit does without the expense and install.

A rod gives you 1 predetermined lift. GAP gives you a variety of customizable ones that you can change whenever you feel like it.

Ride around stock all day, hit the trails and add a 1" lift, encounter an obstacle, activate super extended height, then back down to regain travel. On the way home, revert to stock. "Oh no. My rack is loaded with skis and I cant fit in my garage". No problem. Drop down to ride the bumpstops and sneak on in.

It's win win.

Add all the other benefits GAP gives you and it's a no brainer.

If you camp you can also use it to level each corner of vehicle. Handy for RTT users.

The following users liked this post:
BD1 (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 11:29 AM
Mudding
Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Drop down to ride the bumpstops and sneak on in.
Is this lower than the access height? If so, I'm going to have to investigate!

Old 05-20-2024, 11:30 AM
4wd Low
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
It's win win.

Add all the other benefits GAP gives you and it's a no brainer.
Awesome! I'm sold.

JPS

Old 05-20-2024, 11:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,297 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrown
Is this lower than the access height? If so, I'm going to have to investigate!
yes about 40-45 mm below access. Very handy

Old 05-20-2024, 03:17 PM
Mudding
Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gavinc
yes about 40-45 mm below access. Very handy
sweet!