Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky8 Winch Tray Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 04:49 AM
Overlanding
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ORDPA
What is this “bricking phenomenon”? What exactly is happening and why?
With just finishing the install, I can honestly say that I have no clue how you could brick your truck doing the install. I was terrified of bricking from TFL and everyone else, but there is only one step that required a cut near wires, but the wire was connected to the bumper and if you somehow messed up and cut it, you could just replace the wire or worst case whole bumper with new wire. I have heard that with OEM Winch, you wire into a control board or something but with L8 kit, the only wiring you do is connecting the Positive lead to Accessory post and negative lead to Ground post.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:07 AM
Mudding
Received 103 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by warkeld
With just finishing the install, I can honestly say that I have no clue how you could brick your truck doing the install. I was terrified of bricking from TFL and everyone else, but there is only one step that required a cut near wires, but the wire was connected to the bumper and if you somehow messed up and cut it, you could just replace the wire or worst case whole bumper with new wire. I have heard that with OEM Winch, you wire into a control board or something but with L8 kit, the only wiring you do is connecting the Positive lead to Accessory post and negative lead to Ground post.
That is what I was wondering. From everything I have watched and the instructions it seems pretty straight forward. Did you disconnect the battery during hook up or just do it live being careful like Lucky8 suggests?

Old 09-19-2023, 07:14 AM
Overlanding
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ORDPA
That is what I was wondering. From everything I have watched and the instructions it seems pretty straight forward. Did you disconnect the battery during hook up or just do it live being careful like Lucky8 suggests?
I just left it live and was careful about not banging the wrench on metal. If you position the wrench handle on the back side of hood strut, you have plenty of stroke for tightening.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:50 AM
Mudding
Received 103 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by warkeld
I just left it live and was careful about not banging the wrench on metal. If you position the wrench handle on the back side of hood strut, you have plenty of stroke for tightening.
Good to know. I figured I would just be careful. Going to hook up my BantamX at the same time so I only have to be in there once.