Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe replace 4Runner with a Defender

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 01:44 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Maybe replace 4Runner with a Defender

Hello LR enthusiasts! I'm new to the brand. I've had a string of Toyota 4x4's since the early 90's. They've served me well, no complaints, but I'm ready for a change. When I saw the new Defender, I was hooked.

Thing is, my brain is telling me not to get it. My current 4Runner has <30K on it. It has at least another 100k in it, easy, with nothing more than maintenance and consumables (tires, brakes). Sure, I hate that it's part time 4WD. I wish it had a center diff, preferably limited slip, but it's still more than capable of any off road task I will ever ask of it. And of course my brain is concerned with the potential (probable?) reliability issues. I certainly wouldn't want an issue 50 miles from the nearest cell tower. Or even if I was just on a ski trip or something, some little ski resort town isn't going to have a shop that can deal with a Defender.

My heart though, really wants one. It tells me it's worth putting up with the issues. So what if I have to reboot the infotainment system now and then. I need to reboot my laptop now and then, right? Same thing, right? The Terrain Response system is just too cool. All the other tech, like the rear view mirror camera, 4x4 info display, all the other camera views, scratches my tech itch in ways the 4Runner just can't. And if the inside gets dirty, just grab a hose and hose it out! Plus there's the legacy of the original Defender and Series models.

I think of it like this. A 4Runner is like your mother. She'll always be there for you, do whatever you need, and hardly ask for anything in return. Just remember to call her on her birthday.

The Defender, on the other hand, is like your mistress. The $ex is incredible, but she throws a fit every now and then, and you need to buy her expensive things to keep her happy!

Last edited by downshift; 03-08-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:36 PM
Mudding
Received 108 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by downshift
I think of it like this. A 4Runner is like your mother. She'll always be there for you, do whatever you need, and hardly ask for anything in return. Just remember to call her on her birthday.

The Defender, on the other hand, is like your mistress. The $ex is incredible, but she throws a fit every now and then, and you need to buy her expensive things to keep her happy
Well, in your metaphor, sir, which one brings you more pleasure?

Old 03-08-2021, 02:48 PM
Mudding
Received 119 Likes on 65 Posts

We had an LR4 for 10 years and almost 100k miles with no issues. We did buy a 10 year/100k mile service contract, for a sense of security and every part on these vehicles is expensive. If you keep the car maintained it's not likely to ever leave you stranded, most complaints are with infotainment, or cel, you rarely, if ever, hear of one actually breaking down on the side of the trail

Old 03-08-2021, 03:05 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Well, sounds like you know what you might be getting into. For the record, my Defender has been free from defects (took delivery in January) aside from early software bugs that have been resolved via over the air updates. I do fully expect some down time due to a repair issue at some point in my ownership. Living relatively close to a dealer and having another vehicle to drive are big stress relievers in this regard. If neither of these things are true... I'd see about the new Grand Cherokee (shorter wheel base coming out next year, long wheel base is this year) or the Bronco.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Drifting
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Your metaphor could be spot on!!!

2 weeks ago I replaced a 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 (70k miles) with a LR Defender. A couple of minor annoyances were popping up with the ZR2, but it was incredibly good off-road. However, I’ve wanted a Defender forever and can’t tell you the excitement I’ve had since the new Defender was announced. I am so happy with the performance of the Defender...it’s even better off-road and rides superbly on-road...plus a much more luxurious/comfortable vehicle. I couldn’t be happier with the new defender.

I say go for it...if you are able to handle it financially.

I have had no issues in my two weeks of ownership...other than the steering wheel not being center upon delivery (being fixed in a couple of weeks) and the keyless entry system (which I don’t really care about all that much...I can live without it, but would like to get it fixed).

Old 03-08-2021, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the replies! I should mention that so far, my research has been online only, because, well, you know. Once I get vaccinated, I will make a trip to the local dealer and get all up close and personal to my possible future mistress. That will go a long way.

Seems like there are a lot of initial issues. Might you say there are growing pains that, once resolved, you have a relatively trouble free future?

It also seems some of the issues I see reported on this forum could still be related to it being a brand new model. I see they are taking orders for the '22 model year. Were I to get one, that's what I'd do. I'd stay away from the first model year.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by downshift
Thanks for the replies! I should mention that so far, my research has been online only, because, well, you know. Once I get vaccinated, I will make a trip to the local dealer and get all up close and personal to my possible future mistress. That will go a long way.

Seems like there are a lot of initial issues. Might you say there are growing pains that, once resolved, you have a relatively trouble free future?

It also seems some of the issues I see reported on this forum could still be related to it being a brand new model. I see they are taking orders for the '22 model year. Were I to get one, that's what I'd do. I'd stay away from the first model year.
My three cents ...

Toyota people (I have happily know many) value what you describe -- predictability, economy, reliability (momma traits) --- and they are quite certain they value these things highly. They rightfully argue there is no better global brand for those things over the last four decades than Toyota (we will let go the issue of their challenge with the first wireless throttles and their slight dip in Quality when they jumped into the global volume domination effort with VW and GM).

I like your momma versus mistress view -- very fun. I have owned Nissans, VWs, lots of Hondas, Porsche, MBs, MGs, several Land Rovers, (even a GM car or two), but never a Toyota (because once I figured out they are designed to all drive exactly the same -- which is really quite an engineering feat --- I just couldn't sign up for that concept).

Also, I have never owned a BMW -- but, I have driven more than one -- and KNOW that she is a movie star (Ava Gardner) -- the perfect driver's car, and once I owned one, like Frank Sinatra I would never be the same again. (I figure a person needs to keep something reachable out of reach, I suppose).

Seriously, the only thing that might trip up a Toyota person coming to JLR is the entirely irrational service costs and service surprises. It goes beyond logic, so you will need to happily squirrel away some funds and be ok, happy even, about spending it at the dealer -- and view that as a part of the charm of the overall experience.

Best to you. Enjoy, regardless of your decision !!

Old 03-09-2021, 06:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Good morning! Interesting post. It sounds to me like you've got a good handle on the inherent risk associated with the brand (potential reliability issues) and cost difference between the two. With that being said, the driving experience will be quite different and as mentioned above, "I would never be the same again" (in reference to a BMW) applies (I think) to the Defender. I've owned a crazy number of cars in my life, everything from my first jalopy (a $200 Ford Merkur) to BMW, Lexus, and Porsche vehicles. Some were because they looked cool, some were because they handled like a whip, and others were for utility (Jeep Wrangler). I've been in the same spot as you, just recently actually, when I sold my Tesla Model 3 with less than 15k miles on it to pick up the Defender in November of last year. The heart wants what the heart wants I suppose . I think, if you work hard and can afford it without putting yourself behind the eight ball financially speaking, do what will make you happy.

I purchased the Defender in November of last year and have put about 4k miles on it. The only issue I've had is the A pillar noise that sounds like rain or sand hitting the window at speeds over 50mph. It's actually in the shop as I type this for round two of trying to suss it out. The dealership told me that LR is aware of the issue but has not released a permanent fix for it yet. Aside from that, it's been great. Swapped the all weather tires for some Duratracs and have been having some fun off road as well.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:45 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bukmar
Your metaphor could be spot on!!!

2 weeks ago I replaced a 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 (70k miles) with a LR Defender. A couple of minor annoyances were popping up with the ZR2, but it was incredibly good off-road. However, I’ve wanted a Defender forever and can’t tell you the excitement I’ve had since the new Defender was announced. I am so happy with the performance of the Defender...it’s even better off-road and rides superbly on-road...plus a much more luxurious/comfortable vehicle. I couldn’t be happier with the new defender.

I say go for it...if you are able to handle it financially.

I have had no issues in my two weeks of ownership...other than the steering wheel not being center upon delivery (being fixed in a couple of weeks) and the keyless entry system (which I don’t really care about all that much...I can live without it, but would like to get it fixed).
No issues in two weeks except for two issues? Two issues in the first two weeks seems like a lot to me, am I missing something? Do you expect the issue rate of one per week to continue, or do you think, once resolved, you will be issue free?

Old 03-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
My three cents ...

Toyota people (I have happily know many) value what you describe -- predictability, economy, reliability (momma traits) --- and they are quite certain they value these things highly. They rightfully argue there is no better global brand for those things over the last four decades than Toyota (we will let go the issue of their challenge with the first wireless throttles and their slight dip in Quality when they jumped into the global volume domination effort with VW and GM).

I like your momma versus mistress view -- very fun. I have owned Nissans, VWs, lots of Hondas, Porsche, MBs, MGs, several Land Rovers, (even a GM car or two), but never a Toyota (because once I figured out they are designed to all drive exactly the same -- which is really quite an engineering feat --- I just couldn't sign up for that concept).

Also, I have never owned a BMW -- but, I have driven more than one -- and KNOW that she is a movie star (Ava Gardner) -- the perfect driver's car, and once I owned one, like Frank Sinatra I would never be the same again. (I figure a person needs to keep something reachable out of reach, I suppose).

Seriously, the only thing that might trip up a Toyota person coming to JLR is the entirely irrational service costs and service surprises. It goes beyond logic, so you will need to happily squirrel away some funds and be ok, happy even, about spending it at the dealer -- and view that as a part of the charm of the overall experience.

Best to you. Enjoy, regardless of your decision !!
Thanks TrioLRowner, that's very helpful. The thing that you said that worries me is "service surprises." I'll get an extended warranty, so (in theory at least) I won't have to worry about costs.

So far, everyone who has posted has had some sort of issue. 100%! Sure, they all seem relatively minor. If they get resolved, it's one thing, but if there are continual minor issues, that's another. That could get frustrating.

I get a sense that everyone will likely experience some issue, but I don't get a sense of how often new issues will pop-up. Perhaps I should post a survey in another thread, but how often do you think problems in the following categories will occur?

1) Minor annoyances, like a pixelated Nav map, where rebooting Pivi resolves it. Or a setting that doesn't persist, like you turn on auto high beam assist but it turns itself off.
2) Something that requires a trip to the dealer, but doesn't prevent you from driving the car (e.g. you are not stranded), and the dealer fixes it on the first visit. Like the A-pillar rattle or a steering wheel off center.
3) Some major PIA that doesn't prevent you from driving, but is persistent and can't be fixed. Something like the engine auto start/stop doesn't start the engine when you hit the gas, the guy behind you honks and flashes the "you're number one" hand signal. Restarting the car resolves it, but the dealer can't reproduce it or find a fix.
4) Something that leaves you stranded. It could be at the grocery store or out in the boonies miles away from the nearest cell tower.

Quick Reply: Maybe replace 4Runner with a Defender