Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe replace 4Runner with a Defender

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 10:58 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020Defend3r
Good morning! Interesting post. It sounds to me like you've got a good handle on the inherent risk associated with the brand (potential reliability issues) and cost difference between the two. With that being said, the driving experience will be quite different and as mentioned above, "I would never be the same again" (in reference to a BMW) applies (I think) to the Defender. I've owned a crazy number of cars in my life, everything from my first jalopy (a $200 Ford Merkur) to BMW, Lexus, and Porsche vehicles. Some were because they looked cool, some were because they handled like a whip, and others were for utility (Jeep Wrangler). I've been in the same spot as you, just recently actually, when I sold my Tesla Model 3 with less than 15k miles on it to pick up the Defender in November of last year. The heart wants what the heart wants I suppose . I think, if you work hard and can afford it without putting yourself behind the eight ball financially speaking, do what will make you happy.

I purchased the Defender in November of last year and have put about 4k miles on it. The only issue I've had is the A pillar noise that sounds like rain or sand hitting the window at speeds over 50mph. It's actually in the shop as I type this for round two of trying to suss it out. The dealership told me that LR is aware of the issue but has not released a permanent fix for it yet. Aside from that, it's been great. Swapped the all weather tires for some Duratracs and have been having some fun off road as well.
I thought there was a TSB for the A pillar noise?

I'd want the Duratracs as well, the Wranglers get a very poor snow/ice rating on Tirerack. If you order a Defender and choose the off road package, can you specify which off road tires you want?

Old 03-09-2021, 11:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by downshift

I'd want the Duratracs as well, the Wranglers get a very poor snow/ice rating on Tirerack. If you order a Defender and choose the off road package, can you specify which off road tires you want?
There is TSB for the pillar noise. It does not seem to work in all cases ... yet.

I believe the Duratrac must be installed post delivery ... but someone will correct me, on that -- and add color, I am sure.

You are a Toyota person, that's clear .. and its great. No problem.

My last Toyota-person experience was a friend who spoke with me and made the mistake of going and test driving a Velar with his wife -- she fell in love instantly. He is still trying to bring himself to give in to the temptation of a JLR product.

In any case, enjoy !

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 03-09-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

Darn it .. now you got me remembering my brown, 1974 e-type Jaguar convertible ...... !!!! I thought I was over that one --- not ever, it seems

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 03-09-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts
The following users liked this post:
TrioLRowner (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 05:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I think so, but that was the 2020 (when I looked into it). May be different now.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
There is TSB for the pillar noise. It does not seem to work in all cases ... yet.

I believe the Duratrac must be installed post delivery ... but someone will correct me, on that -- and add color, I am sure.

You are a Toyota person, that's clear .. and its great. No problem.

My last Toyota-person experience was a friend who spoke with me and made the mistake of going and test driving a Velar with his wife -- she fell in love instantly. He is still trying to bring himself to give in to the temptation of a JLR product.

In any case, enjoy !
I actually just got the pillar noise fixed! This was the 2nd time it was in for that issue. I’m sure it was just more of that tape they put on but I don’t care at this point, a fix is a fix. Once there is a permanent solution (I was told they are still working on it but who knows) I will explore that.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Darn it .. now you got me remembering my brown, 1974 e-type Jaguar convertible ...... !!!! I thought I was over that one --- not ever, it seems
I would hope you'd never get over an E-type!

Old 03-09-2021, 06:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2020Defend3r
I actually just got the pillar noise fixed! This was the 2nd time it was in for that issue. I’m sure it was just more of that tape they put on but I don’t care at this point, a fix is a fix. Once there is a permanent solution (I was told they are still working on it but who knows) I will explore that.
Good news!

Old 03-09-2021, 06:44 PM
5th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

just registered to offer a different experience. I just drove my 2021 x-dynamic across the US (Atlanta-Seattle) through the heart of snowpocolypse in Texas over highways of sheet ice and saw hundreds of wrecks and stranded cars. This puts my currently at 6k and I’ll be towing a large trailer back to Atlanta in two weeks. The car has been utter perfection with zero glitches including the infotainment system. Drove it off-road out near Tonopah, NV, really just beat it up and it’s just an incredible vehicle. This is my third Land Rover and still own a 2008 LR3 HSE which has only really needed upkeep and just now new O2 sensors. Maybe 2021 started the glitch free run or maybe I’m just lucky but it’s been the best car I’ve ever owned after around 30 diverse cars I can’t speak highly enough about it. Toyota’s are great but they don’t make you feel alive when you drive them...

Hello LR enthusiasts! I'm new to the brand. I've had a string of Toyota 4x4's since the early 90's. They've served me well, no complaints, but I'm ready for a change. When I saw the new Defender, I was hooked.

Thing is, my brain is telling me not to get it. My current 4Runner has <30K on it. It has at least another 100k in it, easy, with nothing more than maintenance and consumables (tires, brakes). Sure, I hate that it's part time 4WD. I wish it had a center diff, preferably limited slip, but it's still more than capable of any off road task I will ever ask of it. And of course my brain is concerned with the potential (probable?) reliability issues. I certainly wouldn't want an issue 50 miles from the nearest cell tower. Or even if I was just on a ski trip or something, some little ski resort town isn't going to have a shop that can deal with a Defender.

My heart though, really wants one. It tells me it's worth putting up with the issues. So what if I have to reboot the infotainment system now and then. I need to reboot my laptop now and then, right? Same thing, right? The Terrain Response system is just too cool. All the other tech, like the rear view mirror camera, 4x4 info display, all the other camera views, scratches my tech itch in ways the 4Runner just can't. And if the inside gets dirty, just grab a hose and hose it out! Plus there's the legacy of the original Defender and Series models.

I think of it like this. A 4Runner is like your mother. She'll always be there for you, do whatever you need, and hardly ask for anything in return. Just remember to call her on her birthday.

The Defender, on the other hand, is like your mistress. The $ex is incredible, but she throws a fit every now and then, and you need to buy her expensive things to keep her happy!

The following users liked this post:
Moretti (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 06:46 PM
5th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

just registered to offer a different experience. I just drove my 2021 x-dynamic across the US (Atlanta-Seattle) through the heart of snowpocolypse in Texas over highways of sheet ice and saw hundreds of wrecks and stranded cars. This puts my currently at 6k and I’ll be towing a large trailer back to Atlanta in two weeks. The car has been utter perfection with zero glitches including the infotainment system. Drove it off-road out near Tonopah, NV, really just beat it up and it’s just an incredible vehicle. This is my third Land Rover and still own a 2008 LR3 HSE which has only really needed upkeep and just now new O2 sensors. Maybe 2021 started the glitch free run or maybe I’m just lucky but it’s been the best car I’ve ever owned after around 30 diverse cars I can’t speak highly enough about it. Toyota’s are great but they don’t make you feel alive when you drive them...

The following 2 users liked this post by Elbobo:
angelboing (03-09-2021), majl (03-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Maybe replace 4Runner with a Defender