Sponsored by:

Maybe replace 4Runner with a Defender

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 06:56 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Juancl
Thanks Juancl,

In my pandemic inspired online research, I've watched a lot of these videos. I really need to get vaccinated so that I can go test drive one! (Those TFL guys had some bad luck, didn't they?)

The ultimate in off road capability is certainly appealing, but If I'm honest with myself, I don't really need that. I use it in the snow (ski trips) and backcountry camping (rough dirt roads, high clearance required). It's just my wife and myself in the backcountry, so if it looks like there's a chance we could get stuck or damage the car, we turn around. We like to get away from the crowds, so finding someone to rescue us might be difficult.

In all honesty, a Subaru would be capable of 90% of what I need. But I don't want a Subaru! The Defender is just way cooler than a 4Runner or Subaru! My 4Runner is fine, it does everything I need, I'm just bored with it. My brain is asking do I trade in a 4Runner with 30k on it for a Defender that will have some sort of issues just because it's cooler than my 4Runner? Maybe. My heart says yes.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:05 PM
5th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple shots from my cross country.

The following 3 users liked this post by Elbobo:
angelboing (03-09-2021), majl (03-09-2021), mammoth (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 07:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by downshift
Thanks Juancl,

In my pandemic inspired online research, I've watched a lot of these videos. I really need to get vaccinated so that I can go test drive one! (Those TFL guys had some bad luck, didn't they?)

The ultimate in off road capability is certainly appealing, but If I'm honest with myself, I don't really need that. I use it in the snow (ski trips) and backcountry camping (rough dirt roads, high clearance required). It's just my wife and myself in the backcountry, so if it looks like there's a chance we could get stuck or damage the car, we turn around. We like to get away from the crowds, so finding someone to rescue us might be difficult.

In all honesty, a Subaru would be capable of 90% of what I need. But I don't want a Subaru! The Defender is just way cooler than a 4Runner or Subaru! My 4Runner is fine, it does everything I need, I'm just bored with it. My brain is asking do I trade in a 4Runner with 30k on it for a Defender that will have some sort of issues just because it's cooler than my 4Runner? Maybe. My heart says yes.
I hear you. Like you I like to go off the beaten path with my wife and kids, but no one else, so we don’t do anything extreme. Living in South FL means not a huge variety of things to do with our D5 around here, hence over the 3.5 years we have had it it has lived the urban life that 90% of LRs sold these days live. Our adventuring typically meant flying somewhere fun, renting a Wrangler and go explore. Thanks to COVID this year we actually drove to the GA mountains in the D5 and finally used it how it should be used (see video). Long story short, can’t wait to pick up our new D90 later this year in UT, and do some adventuring on that area before slowly making our way back home, with several strategic stops for even more exploration. Have also hooked up now with the local LR clubs down here to learn more about places to go and play closer to home.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 09:36 PM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Elbobo
A couple shots from my cross country.
Great shots and story! Looking forward to picking ours up and driving it 2/3 of the way across the country. Hope we get one of the good ones like you did and that the MY21 X-Dynamic karma is strong!

Old 03-10-2021, 07:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
Well, sounds like you know what you might be getting into. For the record, my Defender has been free from defects (took delivery in January) aside from early software bugs that have been resolved via over the air updates. I do fully expect some down time due to a repair issue at some point in my ownership. Living relatively close to a dealer and having another vehicle to drive are big stress relievers in this regard. If neither of these things are true... I'd see about the new Grand Cherokee (shorter wheel base coming out next year, long wheel base is this year) or the Bronco.
LOL. Only a Land Rover owner would be so proud that his vehicle has been problem-free after only 2 months of ownership. That speaks volumes about owner expectations.

In the same vein, Land Rover has finally admitted their reputation has cost them thousands of lost vehicle sales annually.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39590/...ity-reputation

Old 03-10-2021, 09:00 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by nerve64
LOL. Only a Land Rover owner would be so proud that his vehicle has been problem-free after only 2 months of ownership. That speaks volumes about owner expectations.

In the same vein, Land Rover has finally admitted their reputation has cost them thousands of lost vehicle sales annually.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39590/...ity-reputation
Well, Initial Quality Score is actually a thing... so I think most buyers of new cars actually care about driving off the lot without a visit to service until the first scheduled maintenance is due...

And, yeah, if you're expecting a luxury car not called Lexus to be defect free -- and especially a Land Rover -- you're nuts.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...lity-study-iqs

TrioLRowner (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Really useful JD Power article ... thanks for sharing.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:04 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

I wonder if they could cut down the cost on lost revenue by offering longer warranties?

Old 03-10-2021, 05:02 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
I wonder if they could cut down the cost on lost revenue by offering longer warranties?
... or just pay and pay and pay to fix things under warranty!

Old 03-10-2021, 05:44 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by expatbrit
... or just pay and pay and pay to fix things under warranty!
The article indicates that reliability is increasing as evidence by a decrease in warranty claims. If they are improving quality and afraid of a reliability stigma extend the warranty out a year or two to bring in more people who might be willing to take the plunge under those conditions. IMO the stronger warranty to the consumer shows me how much more the brand believes in its product.

Juancl (03-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Maybe replace 4Runner with a Defender