2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meridian - has anyone replaced theirs yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 11:03 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

i have been spending prob too much time researching the meridian system and what i would upgrade

couple of important points for your installer if they have not worked on one before.

- all 14 speakers are active which means power is run directly to each speaker. no crossovers or shared channels
- there is a 6x9 sub under the driver seat. it’s does very little in producing bass but used more for active noise cancelation
-the 6.5 in the door are tuned to play down tom 30 HZ. so most of the bass your are hearing is from the doors. this is pretty impressive
- the rear boot mid ranges play your back up sensor chimes so you cannot disconnect them
-as mentioned before, oem speakers are 2 ohm. if you are not planning on a new amp you will need 2 ohm replacements. leaves not many options

someone posted a facebook link of a defender build. i found out that the shop is local too me and one of the top installers in US.

got an appointment next month to start the install. i am going to leave it to them to suggest the equipment

for those not looking to spend a fortune and just want a little better sound i highly suggest sound deadening the doors. i did all 4 myself and it dramatically improved the sound quality. i would actually be content with the current system but i was able to jump a long wait with the shop and put a deposit

Originally Posted by Ehloo
i have been extensively researching my build and upgrade to my Meridian 700 system.

i wanted to say first off the 700 surround might sound good enough for most. but once you hear a aftermarket system and able to compare it’s night and day

i have a very addictive personality and once something grabs my attention i am all in. i have not started or purchased anything butting getting close. Difficult to choose components as local shops just recommend what they sell

the meridian surround is a 14 speaker + sub with a 700 watt amp. two of the speakers are center channel, 8 inch sun under the center counsel, 3 way speaker in the front, 3 way speaker in the rear but the mid range sits on the roof in the boot.

as i planned the build with various shops the need for that many speakers is redundant if you have higher end speakers. most of the listening would be concentrated for the front, everything behind just to fill in.

its been more than 20 years since i have had a aftermarket car audio system.

a lot has changed and more importantly cost

for those considering.

a basic speaker upgrade using oem amp and adding subwoofers will cost you around 5k usd. you will achieve much better results

i thought i could get a full system completed at 5k but was way off.

a full system with higher end speaker replacement, amplification for the speakers, subs, DSP and tuning is going to be 10k

i am most likely going with a 10k build but expecting a huge difference.

current build

- 3 way speaker upgrade in the front. Looking at some Focal K2 series which will be active. amps driving directly by passing the cross over included.

- 2 way rear passive. amp will connect to the cross over. not the ideal settup but saves cost on amp as i don’t need as many channels and the tuning. as mentioned the rears are there just to fill in. will end up going with a slightly lower speaker model. will disconnect the rear mid range in the boot roof

- 2 10 inch subs in custom sealed enclosure. will be fitted in rear boot area under cargo load lid. i only have two rows and there is a huge space below the load gate.
- Helix V8 amp- 8 channels with dsp. 6 channels will be dedicated to the front speakers and 2 for the rear
-Helix Mono sun amp
-helix modules that allow volume control and separate source for a hi-res player. it will bypass the factory system and go straight into the dsp amp. i can switch back and forth depending on the situation

a whole bunch of sound deadening. speakers will sound much better but overall greatly reduce road noise

the goal is try to get the highest end build with the 10k budget.

more to come

Old 07-10-2022, 01:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Anybody have instructions on how to get at the tweeter speakers on the upper door near the window? Guessing the black panel that holds the grill just pries off?
Thanks!

Old 07-10-2022, 06:23 PM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

Pops off fairly easy,

Old 07-11-2022, 05:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks so much Defendit!

Old 07-14-2022, 03:27 PM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The meridian speaker system in my RRS is the worst feature of the entire car. The low end and high end are somewhat tolerable but the mid range (vocals) is almost entirely muted when listening to Tool and other bands in the genre. I’m trading in for a preordered defender which should be arriving any week now and the meridian system coming in that car has been the biggest gripe for me. This thread has given me some hope for improvement though once I take delivery!

jesus though, between the speaker upgrade and all the off roading mods I want to do to this car. I feel like this $80k car is going to hit $100k quick! 😅

Old 07-14-2022, 03:54 PM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone have the manual section avail to remove the rear speaker/wall cards on a D90X V8?

have one grill really rattling and want to tighten it up.

Old 07-14-2022, 03:57 PM
Winching

there is always hope. just involves $$$$$

as you determine the need for higher end sound you jump into a rabbit hole of good, better and best.

i thought a 5k budget was more than enough to build out the whole system. i was very wrong or maybe atleast for the higher end components. ended up more doubling the budget for what my installer still calls entry level. i had to call it at some point. almost endless

Defender goes in late July for a two week build

Here are the final components

-Morel Elate Carbon 3 way run active
the mid range might or might not fit. the oem midrange location is small and blocked majority by the size of the grill. i might end up swapping with a audiofrog gb25. smaller but will fit no issues and suppose to sound great
- Morel Virtus Nano Integra 2 way/ coaxial in the rear doors- just for rear fill. rear doors have a rear mounting plate in the doors which prevents larger speakers
- 2 Arc Audio 1100.5 amps. 8x150 watts and about 1000 watts to the subs
-2 arc audio 10 inch A series shallow mount subs
- Mosconi dsp

custom amp rack and sub box in false floor. it will be able to be displayed but covered most of the time

i will have a secondary high res bluetooth source which car play will display on my screen. just can’t control volume. will be controlled by JBL click which is a bluetooth volume control

for when the family is in the car, i will be using the oem head unit which all speakers including those that were not replaced will be active.

no speakers will be deactivated, separate source will have the oem speakers tuned very low

its been a long journey of research and lots of youtube videos.

i had to find an installer that had worked on a defender and was able to interface seamlessly. luckily i found one of the best in the nation in my neck of the woods

if anyone has questions about upgrading ask away. i know too much now

QUOTE=SeriousVicarious;831588]The meridian speaker system in my RRS is the worst feature of the entire car. The low end and high end are somewhat tolerable but the mid range (vocals) is almost entirely muted when listening to Tool and other bands in the genre. I’m trading in for a preordered defender which should be arriving any week now and the meridian system coming in that car has been the biggest gripe for me. This thread has given me some hope for improvement though once I take delivery!

jesus though, between the speaker upgrade and all the off roading mods I want to do to this car. I feel like this $80k car is going to hit $100k quick! 😅[/QUOTE]

Old 07-14-2022, 04:07 PM
Winching

watch the video from powerful uk. it’s for a 110 but it’s the same process. The rear doors of the 110 didn’t have any posted instructions but literally same process

its actually pretty simple

remove bottom storage section. need a plastic pry tool. you can buy them in amazon cheap. remove too leather arm rest, pull off midrange speaker grill.

remove all screws.

Originally Posted by mdeeds71
Does anyone have the manual section avail to remove the rear speaker/wall cards on a D90X V8?

have one grill really rattling and want to tighten it up.

Old 07-14-2022, 04:38 PM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
watch the video from powerful uk. it’s for a 110 but it’s the same process. The rear doors of the 110 didn’t have any posted instructions but literally same process

its actually pretty simple

remove bottom storage section. need a plastic pry tool. you can buy them in amazon cheap. remove too leather arm rest, pull off midrange speaker grill.

remove all screws.
From what I see the seat bottom has to be removed as the cards run down and past the seat plus it integrates a bit different with the top plastic. No screws that I can find comparable to the rear door on a 110. Watched that video to no avail for my setup.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ehloo, thank you for confirming what my high end installer has been telling me. They have done 4 Defenders so far using Morel speakers. Cost ranges from $10K to $15K depending on which Morels they use. They said the complicated part is some sort of ethernet connection in the OEM Meridian system. And they have found it's best to just disconnect the midrange speakers in the far back.

Still can't decide if I want to spend that much or just change out the door woofers and tweeters myself using Focal speakers for about $2K. Just had my installer replace all the speakers in our new X5 with Focal speakers. Huge difference in sound quality. (B&W system was unavailable when we ordered the X5)

Quick Reply: Meridian - has anyone replaced theirs yet?