Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Hitch Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 08:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Motorcycle Hitch Carrier

On the off chance that someone else has already tried this I thought I'd ask.

We've got a small "fleet" of motorcycles and I'm looking for a way to transport one occasionally (to take with us on a road trip, for rescue or repair, etc.). Personally I hate towing a trailer if I don't have to so a hitch carrier would be a great solution.

Three of our four bikes in the fleet are smaller and Italian with wet weights in the 400-450# range, so I'm thinking that as long as the spare tire doesn't complicate things too badly we should be good. The fourth bike is just too damn big and heavy. I'm assuming that our D110 P400 7-seater w/ factory tow package and air suspension has a tow rating near 8k so an ~800# tongue weight capability, and therefore 550# of bike and hitch hauler should be well within capability (even considering the longer lever). I figure worse case I can always take the spare off the back when using it if I have to, though I kinda like it there to protect the tailgate too.

Anyone try this yet and/or have any tips or recommendations (or corrections on my assumptions).

I'm looking at the VersaHauler VH55RO

https://www.versahaul.com/vh55ro.php

or the slightly less expensive but with longer ramp and wider track BlackWidow MCC-600

https://www.blackwidowpro.com/motorc...xoCwroQAvD_BwE

EDIT - looking into it closer that spare is HUGE - I might have to use this one the BlackWidow SMC-600r -since it has a longer distance from the hitch pin to the center of the support rail.

https://www.blackwidowpro.com/motorc...rs/p/smc-600r/

Last edited by Kev M; 06-18-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:32 AM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

While I haven't tried it, I'm definitely interested in it. I have a Kendon trailer, but my race/track bike is sub-400lbs and if I don't have to tow, why would I tow!

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 11:45 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I've looked at those as well, but I'm just not comfortable putting anything besides maybe a motocross/trail bike on one. I know they are rated for more weight, but for me it is just not worth the risk. I've always used these:
​​​​​​https://www.alumaklm.com/recreationa...rcycle-trailer
They also made a single place folding version that stood up on end for storage. I had one of those as well.
Aluminum makes them easier to move around, you can't even feel them when towing. A bit more hassle from a storage perspective, but safest way to haul and easiest to load. Just my humble opinion and experience.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MrBreeze
I've looked at those as well, but I'm just not comfortable putting anything besides maybe a motocross/trail bike on one. I know they are rated for more weight, but for me it is just not worth the risk. I've always used these:
They also made a single place folding version that stood up on end for storage. I had one of those as well.
Aluminum makes them easier to move around, you can't even feel them when towing. A bit more hassle from a storage perspective, but safest way to haul and easiest to load. Just my humble opinion and experience.
My little brother has a dual-bike Kendon I use from time-to-time. But it's far from convenient as he lives a couple hours away and in another state lol.

That said, I've done plenty of towing over the years, from car carriers to boats, but given the opportunity, I'd much rather to carry a bike on a hitch carrier or in the bed of a truck (the latter of which I currently don't have).

I've got a number of other friends who use the hitch mounted carriers, so I'm not worried about the capability of the carrier in the least. Well I can't vouch for the BlackWidow product yet, I know the VersaHauler is stout.

So I guess I'll give it a go and report back.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, guess it's time to bump my own thread then.

I jumped in with both feet and picked up the BlackWidow SMC-600r for the capacity and dimensions it offered.

https://www.blackwidowpro.com/motorc...rs/p/smc-600r/

I've had it a couple of weeks but finally assembled it yesterday and we gave it a test installation and run around the neighborhood before an upcoming trip where we'll be using it in a few weeks.

I have to say the D110 didn't seem to know or care it was there. To use it properly I'm going to have to remove the right side rider's peg to keep it from contacting the spare and I'm going to triple-check the tie-downs, but otherwise it looks like we should be good to go.

Besides using it for this trip it will be nice to know it's available should any of our svelte Italian girls require a rescue (or the same for any of our friends).

Will report back again after the trip.

The following 3 users liked this post by Kev M:
droc234 (11-12-2023), GrouseK9 (03-27-2024), Huc (08-09-2022)
Old 07-28-2021, 05:50 AM
Rock Crawling

Nearly 400 miles yesterday with the Ducati hanging off the back. The Defender didn't seem to notice or care. It works perfectly!

The following 3 users liked this post by Kev M:
Huc (08-09-2022), MrBreeze (07-28-2021), TheMoke (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:19 AM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I notice that the bike is mounted offset to the left slightly. Is there a reason for that? Also, there tends to be quite a bit of slack with a regular hitch and hitch receiver, so do you notice this much with the bike carrier? I would imagine you get a fair bit of a rocking motion with a motorcycle.

Anyway, looks good! I have not thought about a hitch carrier for a motorcycle before.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TheMoke
I notice that the bike is mounted offset to the left slightly. Is there a reason for that? Also, there tends to be quite a bit of slack with a regular hitch and hitch receiver, so do you notice this much with the bike carrier? I would imagine you get a fair bit of a rocking motion with a motorcycle.

Anyway, looks good! I have not thought about a hitch carrier for a motorcycle before.
The offset is because of the carrier itself and the default position of the wheel chock. I could probably center it better by changing that, but then it would put the handlebar closer to the tire.

Since we noticed absolutely zero negative effect on the ride and handling of the D with it mounted as such I'm inclined to keep it that way.

Though a normal hitch tends to have some play this carrier comes with methods to help minimize this.

The hitch pin has almost an interference fit and there is a collar that slides over the draw bar and hitch with four bolts that you tighten against the hitch/bar to help hold them together.

As an additional brace I ran a set of straps over the wheels, and over the outer corners of the carrier and attached them to the safety chain eyelets on the hitch synching then down also reduced any possibility of play/rocking.

I rode behind the Defender for at least 300 of those miles and even after driving over potholes, expansion joints, or other irregularities the Defender and the carrier looked completely steady and undisturbed.

Last edited by Kev M; 03-26-2024 at 03:57 PM.
GrouseK9 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 11:46 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
The offset is because of the carrier itself and the default position of the wheel chock. I could probably center it better by changing that, but then it would put the handlebar closer to the tire.

Since we noticed absolutely zero negative effect on the ride and handling of the D with it mounted as such I'm inclined to keep it that way

Though a normal hitch tends to have some play this carrier comes with menthods to help minimize this.

The hitch pin has almost an interference fit and there is a collar that slides over the draw bar and hitch with four bolts that you tighten against the hitch/bar to help hold them together.

As an additional brace I ran a set of straps over the wheels, and over the outer corners of the carrier and attached them to the safety chain eyelets on the hitch synching then down also reduced any possibility of play/rocking.

I rode behind the Defender for at least 300 of those miles and even after driving over potholes, expansion joints, or other irregularities the Defender and the carrier looked completely steady and undisturbed.
Thanks for being the experiment, Kev -- I have to admit to being hugely tempted. I have a Kendon that I use to haul my D675 to the track and it tows fine on the P300, but I HATE backing a trailer. I'll try the tow package stuff, but this may be in my future. Not a fan of having to remove a rearset (it's more complex on the race bike!) but I'm fairly sure I'm lighter than that Monster!

Kev M (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 01:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by expatbrit
Thanks for being the experiment, Kev -- I have to admit to being hugely tempted. I have a Kendon that I use to haul my D675 to the track and it tows fine on the P300, but I HATE backing a trailer. I'll try the tow package stuff, but this may be in my future. Not a fan of having to remove a rearset (it's more complex on the race bike!) but I'm fairly sure I'm lighter than that Monster!
Not sure you'd have to remove the rearset peg or bracket. The spring loaded rider peg was levered up against the sidewall of the tire. I could have left it on but it was easy to pull the clip/pin and remove the peg and spring. But in the end it would really depend on peg placement vs the size of the spare. Our peg aligned with the lower portion of the tire sidewall.

Last edited by Kev M; 09-22-2021 at 09:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Hitch Carrier