Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Hitch Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 01:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Kev M:

Are you able to load it single-handly? I had the same once, and it got to be a really sketchy experience to work the loading and unloading.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Kev M:

Are you able to load it single-handly? I had the same once, and it got to be a really sketchy experience to work the loading and unloading.
I'm not dumb enough to try with my wife's bike lol.

I might be able to, but I don't think I would. Jenn helps just to keep another set of eyes and hands on it. The rear tire especially doesn't leave a lot of room side-to-side on the ramp/track and I need to lean it slightly towards me to get the handlebar past the spare

But I would bet I could do it easily with a dual-sport or something a little lighter than 400# wet

Old 09-22-2021, 09:10 AM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I am so thankful you posted this. I'm copying your setup and purchasing today. WIll be transporting an array of different bikes but not towing here in California is a big deal because I can get into the carpool lane and avoid traffic. I can also go the speed limit (trailers limited to 55mph).

THANK YOU.

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (09-22-2021)
Old 05-15-2023, 07:38 PM
Mudding
Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

Bumping to vouch for this product as well. It seems to haul my new Husky TX300 (225 lbs) just fine too. I'll report back once I hit some nastier trails to shake it loose (hopefully not) offroad. I'll also need to test it with the Aprilia (460 lbs). The slimmer tire width isn't an issue at all. Personally I will be picking up some auxiliary brake lights & turn signals since things get a bit obscured.

The following 2 users liked this post by DrPizz:
Kev M (11-12-2023), TSY (10-25-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 08:26 AM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I haul my KTM 300 dirt bike using the blackwidow 400 carrier behind my D90. I use an 8" hitch extension to clear the spare and allow me to load and unload by myself with no issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by ballandchain:
alanconnelly (05-17-2023), LordExplorer (05-16-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 07:37 AM
Mudding
Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ballandchain
I haul my KTM 300 dirt bike using the blackwidow 400 carrier behind my D90. I use an 8" hitch extension to clear the spare and allow me to load and unload by myself with no issues.
I loaded mine myself, just tilted at a slight angle when loading. Even strapped down, I'm clearing the spare wheel with the bike. Just for safety, I folded and secured the right peg to keep it up and away from the spare wheel.

The following users liked this post:
Kev M (11-12-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 08:18 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev M
Well, guess it's time to bump my own thread then.

I jumped in with both feet and picked up the BlackWidow SMC-600r for the capacity and dimensions it offered.

https://www.blackwidowpro.com/motorc...rs/p/smc-600r/

I've had it a couple of weeks but finally assembled it yesterday and we gave it a test installation and run around the neighborhood before an upcoming trip where we'll be using it in a few weeks.

I have to say the D110 didn't seem to know or care it was there. To use it properly I'm going to have to remove the right side rider's peg to keep it from contacting the spare and I'm going to triple-check the tie-downs, but otherwise it looks like we should be good to go.

Besides using it for this trip it will be nice to know it's available should any of our svelte Italian girls require a rescue (or the same for any of our friends).

Will report back again after the trip.
how did this work out? I’m looking to get one for my dual sport was worried about the back tire . Any issues ?

Old 11-12-2023, 08:19 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DrPizz
Bumping to vouch for this product as well. It seems to haul my new Husky TX300 (225 lbs) just fine too. I'll report back once I hit some nastier trails to shake it loose (hopefully not) offroad. I'll also need to test it with the Aprilia (460 lbs). The slimmer tire width isn't an issue at all. Personally I will be picking up some auxiliary brake lights & turn signals since things get a bit obscured.

hey man how did this work out I’m looking to get one for my husky 501s. Any issues with tire?

Old 11-12-2023, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by droc234
how did this work out? I’m looking to get one for my dual sport was worried about the back tire . Any issues ?
Your inbox is full so I couldn't reply to your pm.

But this is what I wrote:

Originally Posted by droc234
Hey man how did this work out for you? I’m looking to put a carrier on my 110 for a dual sport
dirt bike.. any issues?
It works just fine for us. Keep the following in mind:

* It's a heavy piece of kit. I'm glad we only use it occasionally because morning/removing the carrier is easier with a second set of hands.

* I'm glad we have it as potential emergency pickup usage for any bike currently in the fleet (all smaller Italian bikes these days).

* But all our bikes are bigger/heavier than most any dirt bike so for us, loading is best done with a helper as well. I bet I'd feel pretty comfortable loading most dirt bikes solo.

* I leave the spare tire in place to protect the hatch, but it means I have to lean a ~400# bike out around the tire during loading/unloading. Again, I bet a dirt bike is easier but keep the tire in mind depending on the width of the bars.

* I added additional lights to the carrier for brake and turn signal. Though they work ok (except in bright sunlight), I probably should have gone with something bigger that thin a LED strip.

That's all that comes to mind.

Ride safe!

Kev
​​​​​​​

Old 11-12-2023, 09:38 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Kev M
Your inbox is full so I couldn't reply to your pm.

But this is what I wrote:

It works just fine for us. Keep the following in mind:

* It's a heavy piece of kit. I'm glad we only use it occasionally because morning/removing the carrier is easier with a second set of hands.

* I'm glad we have it as potential emergency pickup usage for any bike currently in the fleet (all smaller Italian bikes these days).

* But all our bikes are bigger/heavier than most any dirt bike so for us, loading is best done with a helper as well. I bet I'd feel pretty comfortable loading most dirt bikes solo.

* I leave the spare tire in place to protect the hatch, but it means I have to lean a ~400# bike out around the tire during loading/unloading. Again, I bet a dirt bike is easier but keep the tire in mind depending on the width of the bars.

* I added additional lights to the carrier for brake and turn signal. Though they work ok (except in bright sunlight), I probably should have gone with something bigger that thin a LED strip.

That's all that comes to mind.

Ride safe!

Kev
thanks so much for the quick reply.

did you have to use an extention on the hitch to fit the bike? You mentioned you had to remove the peg. Does it hit?

which tow carrier did you get? The black widow 600?

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Hitch Carrier