Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2022 P300 Defender 110S

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 10:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
@heliochrome85 I am also a Porsche guy (my only car now is a 2013 911 C2S) and I am deciding between the Bronco and the Defender. Just curious if you’re happy with the 4 cylinder engine or if you wish you had more power and had opted for the 6 cylinder option. Also - are there any options that you regret not adding (or are there some options that you’re really glad you selected)?

Thanks!

Josh

Couple things:
1. Porsche's are rarely big power cars. they do incredible things despite being down on power in comparison to displacement cars.
2. I drove the 6cyl, and the 4cyl fairly extensively. I figured that the 6 was far more complex (unreliable) given its hybrid system. The 4cyl has been heavily used in JLR products for several years, and was less complex,.
3. The defender, while exceptional in its dynamics, will never be a Cayenne GT. So no amount of tuning, or power will allow it to be a true sports SUV. As a result, the 4cyl (IMHO) is far more in keeping with the cars original character. They may have had V8s back in the day, but they were so abysmally slow and lumbering that it doesn't really matter. the 6 felt far too fast, and only made me feel more uncomfortable with the speed I was carrying into corners and off ramps. The 4, felt more stately. Considering that the 4 was nearly 10k USD cheaper, the decision was fairly simple.

My car is specced as follows:
2022 P300 S
- Green/White roof/khaki interior
- Pano Roof/White Steelies
- Off Road Pack
- Towing Pack
- Comfort and Convenience Pack
- Air Suspension Pack
- Clearsight Rearview Mirror
- Premium LED headlamps with fog lights
- Rough cut walnut trim
- premium interior protection pack

In the end, the MSRP on my 2022 was 67385, which is pretty in line with a Jeep Rubicon and the top trim Bronco

If I was to do it again, I dont think I would change anything major. Small tweaks would be to order the heads up display. At the time my order went in, the HUD gave it a 6mo+ delay, so I went without it. I skipped the Cold Weather pack adds heated steering wheel (will the leather peel? who knows), heated light washers, and heated windscreen (which has very very very obvious heating elements visible at all times throughout the field of vision). I also skipped 3 zone AC because at the time it was a nearly 2k upcharge. Finally, I didnt spec a 3rd row. The 5 passenger 110 has a flat load floor due to the folding mechanisms of the rear seat. the 7 seat 110 does not as the 2nd row can move forward, and thus folds differently. If you are planning on camping (like I am), that may make a difference.

In the end, personally, I really really dont understand the idea of getting a rough and tumble defender, and then get it in shiny black plastic trim. I ordered mine with the idea of taking it off road without worrying about scuffing the piano black plastic trim. Hence the S. Given Land Rovers reliability, I stuck with the 4cyl. Personally, I think the other options are overkill given the car's capability. In the end though everyone approaches power differently and the prevailing thought is that more is better, and who couldn't use an extra inch or two down below ;-)

Finally in regards to Bronco vs Wrangler vs Defender. Im a physician by trade, and this is my daily. As much as I love my rental Jeeps in Hawaii and Utah, I dont think I could live with the overall compromises in comfort, build quality and features that come with the Jeep. Secondly, the Bronco is wayyyyyyy too hot, and ford dealers, as a whole, are fairly notorious for being AWFUL. Ford, in true ford fashion, has screwed up the launch of the bronco. Just like they did the Ford GT. and the Ford Explorer. and the GT350. and the GT500. After spending a full day on the trails in the 2022 110 SE, i knew it was the one for me. I probably spent a full 6 months dreaming of the truck, convincing myself that my money is better spent in other investments. In the end, I am so happy I pulled the trigger, and have not looked back.

Last edited by heliochrome85; 10-20-2021 at 10:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by heliochrome85:
AustralianIdoma (11-11-2021), GavinC (10-22-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 07:22 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks @heliochrome85 ! I like your rationale for picking the 4 cylinder engine. I was playing with the configurator last night and this is what I came up with:

https://build.landrover/21B30326

Honestly the only reason why I am cross shopping the Bronco and potentially the new X3 is Land Rover's history of unreliability. I've had my 911 for 6 years and other than some electrical issues which were fixed under warranty it's been problem free. I'd like to keep my next car for 10+ years so I'm hoping that Land Rover has improved the overall reliability of their cars going into the 2023 MY.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
Thanks @heliochrome85 ! I like your rationale for picking the 4 cylinder engine. I was playing with the configurator last night and this is what I came up with:

https://build.landrover/21B30326

Honestly the only reason why I am cross shopping the Bronco and potentially the new X3 is Land Rover's history of unreliability. I've had my 911 for 6 years and other than some electrical issues which were fixed under warranty it's been problem free. I'd like to keep my next car for 10+ years so I'm hoping that Land Rover has improved the overall reliability of their cars going into the 2023 MY.

nice build. should age well from a design perspective.

Old 10-21-2021, 01:36 PM
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear boot light

Best vehicle ever! Had mine since July last year. I have done a few mods like awning, roof racks etc, but the best one of all was a proper light for the load compartment. 5 min install, what a difference!

https://defender3d.co.uk/products/ol...e-led-lighting

The following 2 users liked this post by Hambafrika:
GrouseK9 (10-21-2021), JoshuaKM1 (10-21-2021)