My Defender X order cancelled by LR

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 08:34 AM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My Defender X order cancelled by LR

Just got off the phone with my sales guy at Land Rover
Was expecting delivery of my 2022 Defender X next month
All orders of X models cancelled at the moment apparently due to smoked tail light issues

Old 07-16-2021, 09:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Wow. That changes a bit. By leading everyone on for a "future" delivery of weeks/months to go, they were able to hold onto any deposits. Now they will have to cough up the cash. Even a "non-refundable" deposit will be invalid if they can't provide the service/sale. I'm no lawyer (but a pretty seasoned Sea-lawyer). I think you need an offer, acceptance, and consideration for any contract (written, verbal or other). Without the ability to provide the resulting product from the deposit, that's a slam dunk for anyone willing to lawyer up.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Wow. That changes a bit. By leading everyone on for a "future" delivery of weeks/months to go, they were able to hold onto any deposits. Now they will have to cough up the cash. Even a "non-refundable" deposit will be invalid if they can't provide the service/sale. I'm no lawyer (but a pretty seasoned Sea-lawyer). I think you need an offer, acceptance, and consideration for any contract (written, verbal or other). Without the ability to provide the resulting product from the deposit, that's a slam dunk for anyone willing to lawyer up.
I don't think most people who are buying a $90k truck care that much about a $1500 deposit to the point where they're "lawyering up".

​​​​​​It's an expected 3 month delay on X & V8. Realistically, what are these people going to do, order a Bronco?

As much as we bitch about delays, it just makes us want it more and there aren't any alternatives out there.

X is very low volume. One article said this will delay "around 300 units scheduled for production". Even if they all cancel, it's maybe $500k in deposits. 🥜s

My local dealer was taking 3 deposits yesterday (at 1pm on a Thursday) when I stopped by to look at Carpathian gray. This thing is going to end up being a runaway hit for JLR so don't give up your place in line!

Last edited by _Allegedly; 07-16-2021 at 09:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
bobbyz95 (07-16-2021), Bsooudi (07-21-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:08 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

It's been crickets from my dealer on my 110-X order. I shouldn't have to ask, I'll see how long before I'm notified.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Good point on increasing the appeal and agreed $1.5k or $2k isn't going to hurt anyone on this forum. Only thing that I would consider is the liquidity of some of the dealers. I'm waiting on parts, can't buy trucks - I'm sure the Sales Consultants on Commissions and the Dealers are going thru lean times. Time will tell how many are positioned well enough to last.

Perhaps Deposits are what are giving them the Cash Flow! I was talking to mine this morning and he said that the wait for new orders is about 7-8 mos. on all versions. Not sure if that's because their allotment is full or supplier delays, but likely a mix. That's a long time for a Dealership not to be selling.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:56 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Good point on increasing the appeal and agreed $1.5k or $2k isn't going to hurt anyone on this forum. Only thing that I would consider is the liquidity of some of the dealers. I'm waiting on parts, can't buy trucks - I'm sure the Sales Consultants on Commissions and the Dealers are going thru lean times. Time will tell how many are positioned well enough to last.

Perhaps Deposits are what are giving them the Cash Flow! I was talking to mine this morning and he said that the wait for new orders is about 7-8 mos. on all versions. Not sure if that's because their allotment is full or supplier delays, but likely a mix. That's a long time for a Dealership not to be selling.
It did look bleak for their sales department.

They only had 6 new vehicles on the lot and they're the only LR dealer within an hour drive for 2 million people.

At least the service department was busting at the seams. Maybe they can expand into the showroom.

The following users liked this post:
Magnumforc (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 11:51 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

All the deposit requirements around me (my state and neighboring states) were 5k. What happens when this issue extends into the non smoke lights?

I had to sign an agreement that made my deposit non refundable. I have heard of a few people at my dealership get their deposit back when the order showed up different than expected. When I ordered back in February I was told it would take four months and now it will be closer to eight months. We have seen some evidence of the red lights reflecting the same issue as the smoked lights. Apparently JLR does not have an easy fix for the problem. This could end up being quite significant.

Maybe its easier to cancel the order then kept leading a customer on?

Old 07-16-2021, 01:10 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Moretti
All the deposit requirements around me (my state and neighboring states) were 5k. What happens when this issue extends into the non smoke lights?

I had to sign an agreement that made my deposit non refundable. I have heard of a few people at my dealership get their deposit back when the order showed up different than expected. When I ordered back in February I was told it would take four months and now it will be closer to eight months. We have seen some evidence of the red lights reflecting the same issue as the smoked lights. Apparently JLR does not have an easy fix for the problem. This could end up being quite significant.

Maybe its easier to cancel the order then kept leading a customer on?
Or they just do like Ford and just keep saying "sorry".

My son is supposed to be driving a Bronco as we speak but it likely won't be until March now. At least they're locking his price for the '22 model, giving him a couple of upgrades, and letting us use the free pass for their driving experience whenever we want... all with a $100 deposit that they already refunded without me asking (yes the order is still in).

Old 07-16-2021, 01:17 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Or they just do like Ford and just keep saying "sorry".

My son is supposed to be driving a Bronco as we speak but it likely won't be until March now. At least they're locking his price for the '22 model, giving him a couple of upgrades, and letting us use the free pass for their driving experience whenever we want... all with a $100 deposit that they already refunded without me asking (yes the order is still in).
That timeline is also unfortunate but at least you don't have any skin in the game financially and Ford also seems to be trying to do thing to please you. I wanted to do a land rover experience next week and my dealer refused and referred me to land rover usa who ignored me. Apparently you get a free two hour experience if you provide your VIN so i also get to wait for that.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:24 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Moretti
That timeline is also unfortunate but at least you don't have any skin in the game financially and Ford also seems to be trying to do thing to please you. I wanted to do a land rover experience next week and my dealer refused and referred me to land rover usa who ignored me. Apparently you get a free two hour experience if you provide your VIN so i also get to wait for that.
I do also have a Defender on order for myself so I do understand what you're saying.

I can't really say that I prefer one version of the way this is being handled or the other between the two manufacturers.

One massive difference though is that Ford has quite a few dealers and manufacturer reps involved with the Bronco forums so they do seem to get some direct information.

Quick Reply: My Defender X order cancelled by LR