Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Defender X order cancelled by LR

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 12:47 AM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Okay, if you meant something else, Grouse, fair enough. Was just going by the bolded: Pseftis says his X got cancelled, you said that changes everything, and that if dealers keep the deposit people will be lawyering up. So it sounded like you were talking about the situation in the post you responded to, which is when JLR cancels your order out right, and speculating that some people might have to lawyer up to get their deposits back. If not, then my misunderstanding. Carry on.
Come'on man don't you know that once you take delivery of your defender you supposed to stop posting here because you are too busy enjoying it

When's that Moab trip anyway?

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 09:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
Come'on man don't you know that once you take delivery of your defender you supposed to stop posting here because you are too busy enjoying it

When's that Moab trip anyway?
I hit 750 miles yesterday -- enjoying the hell out of it!

I've been twice this year already. Drove out in March, used the Jeep for a couple weeks, flew home, flew back in April for another backpacking/Jeeping trip with my daughter for two weeks, then drove it home. It was the swansong for the Jeep, which I sold to my good friend from Dayton who was on the March trip and couldn't resist its charms!

So I don't know that a fall trip is in the cards for me; probably be next spring. But I won't rule it out entirely.

By the way, what's the verb form of "Land Rover" or "Defender?" Do you go Roving? Rovering? Defending? Landieing? One-tenning? This is going to be problematic, I can see.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:32 PM
Drifting
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

My dealer has a X in their showroom and my salesman said the replacement taillights are on order for it. Sounds like they have found a solution to the problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hovdebo:
AvoTow (07-17-2021), ColoradoDefender (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 03:39 PM
Winching
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts

or he doesnt know what he is talking about and is just blowing smoke

The following 2 users liked this post by disco96sd:
4x4 DAVE (07-17-2021), GrouseK9 (07-17-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,240 Posts

By the way, what's the verb form of "Land Rover" or "Defender?" Do you go Roving? Rovering? Defending? Landieing? One-tenning? This is going to be problematic, I can see.

Rovering is the usual usage.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

I hit 750 miles yesterday -- enjoying the hell out of it!

I've been twice this year already. Drove out in March, used the Jeep for a couple weeks, flew home, flew back in April for another backpacking/Jeeping trip with my daughter for two weeks, then drove it home. It was the swansong for the Jeep, which I sold to my good friend from Dayton who was on the March trip and couldn't resist its charms!

So I don't know that a fall trip is in the cards for me; probably be next spring. But I won't rule it out entirely.

If you must .... then "Rovering" is the most apt, as all birthed from ROVER UK.

For my education, is the standard verb used when off-road in a Jeep ... "Jeeping"? (And of course, Jeep may forever claim, accurately, that it inspired the first Land Rover.)

Old 07-19-2021, 12:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner

For my education, is the standard verb used when off-road in a Jeep ... "Jeeping"?
Absolutely. "Hey Mike, wanna go out to Moab for a Jeeping trip with me?" I think that's the only acceptable form. "We Jeeped yesterday" is not really on the approved list, although it crops up occasionally.

Interestingly, I'm not sure you couldn't use it as a generic verb for "off-roading." As in, "Hey Mike, let's go Jeeping in my new Defender." Sorta like how down here in the south, "Do you want to grab a Coke?" suffices for any soft-drink purchase, or "Pass me a Kleenex" works for any brand of nose-wipe tissue.

TrioLRowner (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 12:07 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Not to completely hijack the thread, but besides "Jeeping" we use "Wheeling" as well. i.e., "Let's go wheeling" "Do you want to go wheeling?" alternately when speaking of another person's rig: "I'd wheel that"

TrioLRowner (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 01:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Many years ago a buddy and I were coming off an old forest fire road from grouse hunting. We went up in a near blizzard, but the blood lust was in our young veins and up we went. We were in his old Jeep Cherokee circa late '80's. It wasn't tricked out and had basically nothing but minor off-road tires for snow. As we were going up the last rise to our favorite covert, the Jeep kept losing grip. On those Appalachian mountain roads, there was a STEEP drop off on one side and rocks on the other. I kept waiting to just open the door and jump out as he kept driving. He would ask "Is this a good place to stop?" I'd quickly answer "yes". Then he said, "How about a little further". Finally, the Jeep lost total traction and we started to slide backwards uncontrollably. In some movie magic, the Jeep completely did a 180 on the ice on a road that I wouldn't image two trucks could pass each other on. We're now facing downhill and he asks "How about here?" We left the Jeep right there and dumped dogs.

Much later we started down the mountain. What started off as fresh snow on old crud/ice turned into at least a foot of snow. When we got to the bottom of the hill and about mile from the hard road we see two totally tricked out Jeep Wranglers/CJ's coming the other way. Four good ole boys blowing thru the fresh powder. We stopped to compare notes and they were crestfallen that we had already plowed thru the snow before them. My buddy is now doing everything he can do to convince them not to go up and how dangerous it is. The other Bubba's are trying to convince us to just turn around and join them for the romp in a near stock Jeep Cherokee. Bubba: "Come on!! Let's go up!" Buddy: "No way am I going up in this truck". Bubba: "It's a Jeep ain't it?!?" Funniest thing in my life at that moment. They keep at it. My Buddy finally goes: "Nothing on earth will get me to go back up that mountain". Bubba reaches under his seat, pulls out a 1/2 empty bottle of Jack Daniels: "Shot a liquor make you do it?" That there was gospel wisdom from a fellow redneck. Since that day, we've called it "Shot a liquor make you do it?" Ok, Bubba's second question set a new high water mark to humorous statements.

Yeah, we shouldn't have turned around but there's a MUCH greater degree of confidence when you have other drivers (and a shot of liquor) with you.

TrioLRowner (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 02:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe don't lawyer up since the fee will most likely outpace the deposit (or at least pretty close, can confirm - I am a lawyer). But get your F'ing money back, refundable or not - they cannot perform on their end of the contract, so your obligations are excused. Sorry to hear about the cancellations, praying this doesnt happen to non X models.

Quick Reply: My Defender X order cancelled by LR