2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Defender X order cancelled by LR

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 01:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

LOL, does anyone really think a dealership is going to just pocket your 2k deposit, cancel your order, and say sorry? If they're willing to do that now (because of smoked taillights) then they are so illegal and rotten that they would just do it to every customer. "Sorry, we cancelled your order. Thanks for the deposit; we're keeping it."

The issue is not losing your deposit money if the seller cancels the sale; it's not getting a Defender at all or for many more months than expected. What an odd turn for someone's mind to take about the deposit.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:52 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
LOL, does anyone really think a dealership is going to just pocket your 2k deposit, cancel your order, and say sorry? If they're willing to do that now (because of smoked taillights) then they are so illegal and rotten that they would just do it to every customer. "Sorry, we cancelled your order. Thanks for the deposit; we're keeping it."

The issue is not losing your deposit money if the seller cancels the sale; it's not getting a Defender at all or for many more months than expected. What an odd turn for someone's mind to take about the deposit.
I think you may have misread what has been posted. I dont see where anyone has alluded to not getting a deposit back on a cancelled order.

My post had to do with the delays and timeframe and if you decide you want to move on when is enough enough in terms of being able to back out of a "non refundable" deposit situation and be refunded. Like I mentioned by timeline has doubled from what I was told in February. If it suddenly gets pushed six more months which would make it over a year since I gave my deposit I think the refund option should be presented as an option.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:28 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is in the port sitting. What do they do about built cars that need taillights. Is this a 6 month issue?

Old 07-16-2021, 04:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Schorer
Mine is in the port sitting. What do they do about built cars that need taillights. Is this a 6 month issue?
3 but who knows what to believe anymore.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...h-delay-107137

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 04:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Moretti
I think you may have misread what has been posted. I dont see where anyone has alluded to not getting a deposit back on a cancelled order.

My post had to do with the delays and timeframe and if you decide you want to move on when is enough enough in terms of being able to back out of a "non refundable" deposit situation and be refunded. Like I mentioned by timeline has doubled from what I was told in February. If it suddenly gets pushed six more months which would make it over a year since I gave my deposit I think the refund option should be presented as an option.
Post No. 2

Old 07-16-2021, 05:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Oh, if it's mine, it's not about the cash, it's about the only principle you have to leverage JLR on this snafu is economic. If this trend continues, I'm concerned about the viability of some local Dealers. Either JLR needs to stand behind the commit or folks are taking a risk. Whether someone pulls the money out, or double downs - I don't care. This is the internet and we all have opinions. To me, it's as personal a choice as color. But if someone wants to cash out, a "no-refund" option at this point shouldn't be a limit to them.

Old 07-16-2021, 05:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 109 Posts

I still have a Bronco Wildtrak order that was placed right when reservations opened, and it's been indefinitely delayed due to parts availability. Communication from Ford has been terrible.

As frustrating as it is when delays happens, it's not like this is unique to JLR. Hopefully everyone gets their X as soon as possible.

The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
4x4 DAVE (07-17-2021), GrouseK9 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 06:38 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I still have a Bronco Wildtrak order that was placed right when reservations opened, and it's been indefinitely delayed due to parts availability. Communication from Ford has been terrible.

As frustrating as it is when delays happens, it's not like this is unique to JLR. Hopefully everyone gets their X as soon as possible.
fwiw as a fellow early Bronco reservation (fully loaded Badlands here) who has been left on read by Ford for about a year now, couldn’t agree more.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mcdooogs:
4x4 DAVE (07-17-2021), LoneStarBridger (07-20-2021), swajames (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 06:51 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Post No. 2
Thats not a cancelled order though...that is sorry its going to take longer order....similar to what I was saying. We feel comfortable with our order because they provide us a timeline. Once that timeline goes into indefinitely unknown the option of immediate refund should be required.

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Oh, if it's mine, it's not about the cash, it's about the only principle you have to leverage JLR on this snafu is economic. If this trend continues, I'm concerned about the viability of some local Dealers. Either JLR needs to stand behind the commit or folks are taking a risk. Whether someone pulls the money out, or double downs - I don't care. This is the internet and we all have opinions. To me, it's as personal a choice as color. But if someone wants to cash out, a "no-refund" option at this point shouldn't be a limit to them.
Agreed.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Pseftis
Just got off the phone with my sales guy at Land Rover
Was expecting delivery of my 2022 Defender X next month
All orders of X models cancelled at the moment apparently due to smoked tail light issues
Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Wow. That changes a bit. By leading everyone on for a "future" delivery of weeks/months to go, they were able to hold onto any deposits. Now they will have to cough up the cash. Even a "non-refundable" deposit will be invalid if they can't provide the service/sale. I'm no lawyer (but a pretty seasoned Sea-lawyer). I think you need an offer, acceptance, and consideration for any contract (written, verbal or other). Without the ability to provide the resulting product from the deposit, that's a slam dunk for anyone willing to lawyer up.
Okay, if you meant something else, Grouse, fair enough. Was just going by the bolded: Pseftis says his X got cancelled, you said that changes everything, and that if dealers keep the deposit people will be lawyering up. So it sounded like you were talking about the situation in the post you responded to, which is when JLR cancels your order out right, and speculating that some people might have to lawyer up to get their deposits back. If not, then my misunderstanding. Carry on.

Quick Reply: My Defender X order cancelled by LR