Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rack Offering - upTOP Overland

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 07:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Rack Offering - upTOP Overland

Got my ride back today after getting prototyped for an Uptop Overland rack.

In a couple weeks it should go live on their site, but now we have one more option for a rack.

It’s beefy, has scenepod lights, interior switch for said lights, sturdy handles that I’ve already placed full body weight on, and can even be custom color/painted. I stuck with black and had them do white for the upper portion.

Not sure where they’re sticking on price point, it definitely cheaper than Voyagers, and probably hovering near Frontrunner. They’ll offer two options. Alpha/Bravo. Mine is the Alpha version. Bravo is the cheaper version.

Keep an eye out on UptopOverland.com for the release! Photos attached.

Last edited by Bdcrosswhite; 03-19-2021 at 07:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bdcrosswhite:
FzyPChz (03-20-2021), The_hog (03-20-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 07:52 PM
Mudding
Received 93 Likes on 47 Posts

Looks good. Does it use the front two bolts in the roof or did they come up with a mounting solution that avoids those?

Old 03-19-2021, 08:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Looks great. Similar question: does it require removal of roof rails and bolts?

Old 03-19-2021, 11:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by zac431
Looks good. Does it use the front two bolts in the roof or did they come up with a mounting solution that avoids those?
It does use all the bolt mounts for normal install. Mine is a special fitting to accommodate the two I had stuck. They use a special pressure mount on that right front spot until the dealer can remove mine. Honestly - I’d almost prefer they just sheered the tops off those two bolts and covered them up! It’s quite annoying.

That pressure mount is something they use on the 4Runner version of their racks.

Since it’s secured at all the other points it’s definitely not going anywhere!

Old 03-19-2021, 11:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Tartan
Looks great. Similar question: does it require removal of roof rails and bolts?
yep - utilizes existing mounts under the roof rails. It’s quite secure and can hold a ton of weight. Keeps it lower profile that way.

[img]blob:https://landroverforums.com/1aa416f0-1398-422b-a9e8-887afa0db5d5[/img]

Old 03-20-2021, 01:23 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

wow, this is the best looking rack i have seen.

i was hesitant about racks that mount to the roof with all the issues but this thing is something special

couple quick questions.

how high above the shark fin does the rack sit?

on their site they say the rack creates no wind noise. a little hard to believe but maybe you can chime in

Originally Posted by Bdcrosswhite
Got my ride back today after getting prototyped for an Uptop Overland rack.

In a couple weeks it should go live on their site, but now we have one more option for a rack.

It’s beefy, has scenepod lights, interior switch for said lights, sturdy handles that I’ve already placed full body weight on, and can even be custom color/painted. I stuck with black and had them do white for the upper portion.

Not sure where they’re sticking on price point, it definitely cheaper than Voyagers, and probably hovering near Frontrunner. They’ll offer two options. Alpha/Bravo. Mine is the Alpha version. Bravo is the cheaper version.

Keep an eye out on UptopOverland.com for the release! Photos attached.

Old 03-20-2021, 06:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Ehloo
wow, this is the best looking rack i have seen.

i was hesitant about racks that mount to the roof with all the issues but this thing is something special

couple quick questions.

how high above the shark fin does the rack sit?

on their site they say the rack creates no wind noise. a little hard to believe but maybe you can chime in
I literally sits slightly above the camera. Pic below. We tried to get it lower profile and closer to the roof but the sunroof clearance is biggest part of it.

regarding wind noise - we took it to 95 and I seriously couldn’t hear any difference. You hear basic, slight noise, but they’re right. It’s not noticeable. As soon as I closed the cover on my sunroof and was listening to NPR I couldn’t hear anything other than road noise.

im a huge fan on how it turned out and glad I switched from the full sized front runner.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:47 AM
Rock Crawling

It’s nice looking, but I am really hesitant to get any rack that requires removing the roof rail bolts with all these problems people have been having. There doesn’t seem to be any easy fix other than removing the headliner and no way I’m going that route. Was hoping Uptop would just make this attach to the roof rails themselves for quick install and uninstall.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:45 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I dont find it particularly attractive. The waterjet cutting in the verticals just feels techy and not at all aligned with the aesthetics of the truck, but to each ones own.

And I do agree, that it's pretty easy to figure out a solution that can mount directly to the roof rails, why opt for a solution that could potential void your warranty should issues arise down the road?

I like the integration of the work lights. How are they routed down into the cabin? Seems like this is something that has to be outfitted at their shop to gain that functionality?

Old 03-20-2021, 08:50 AM
Rock Crawling

I like the look of the bravo better. Less stuff going on, but I’m leaning back towards the voyager for the more classic tube look. Nice to have more options, but this roof bolt thing is ridiculous. They should’ve used the roof rails to attach.

Quick Reply: New Rack Offering - upTOP Overland