2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 09:43 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. I meant the width of the tire from the tread side, including the side biters.
We'll know soon enough.

Old 08-19-2022, 03:59 PM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Joining the 20" -> 18" Club

I am on the verge of buying a set of 18" Tuffant Kimberley wheels for my '22 P400 X-Dynamic HSE but still trying to decide which tires to purchase. I'm planning to have the rear caliper grinding done by a local shop (they've done at least one new Defender already).

Before reading through almost this entire thread (and its links!), I was an absolute beginner in the bewildering realm of wheels, tires and associated jargon, but now I understand a smidge more.

Here's my criteria for the tires I'd like, and I'm hoping some of you seasoned pros can weigh in on which tire options might be good. As someone pretty new to off-roading, I'm open to any and all suggestions. What would you choose based on my criteria and why?
  • I want to be able to tackle moderately difficult trails with confidence, mostly in the form of mid-Atlantic region national forests, so they can be rocky, occasionally muddy, and tree-filled. For that, I'm thinking that I'll need something I can air down a bit when needed to lessen the risk of puncture, hence the desire to swap from 20" to 18" as many of you here have done.
  • I'd also like to try driving on the beach at some point
  • Eventually I want to tow a mid-size camping trailer
  • In addition, safety on wet and occasionally snowy roads is very important, as is safe highway travel up to 85 mph for road trips
I see that some of you went with 265/70 R18 and I'm wondering if that's because 275/70 will likely rub?

Also, I'm not sure how important it is to look for the LT specification for the driving criteria described above. I read that they're better for off-roading in general, but many of the AT tires I've looked at don't have that spec and they are still listed as off-road capable.

The shop I talked to suggested Falken Wildpeak as something that might be good, but I'm also interested in Vredestein Pinza from some of the reviews I've seen.

Thanks for any guidance!

Old 08-19-2022, 05:33 PM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by AliP
I am on the verge of buying a set of 18" Tuffant Kimberley wheels for my '22 P400 X-Dynamic HSE but still trying to decide which tires to purchase. I'm planning to have the rear caliper grinding done by a local shop (they've done at least one new Defender already).

Before reading through almost this entire thread (and its links!), I was an absolute beginner in the bewildering realm of wheels, tires and associated jargon, but now I understand a smidge more.

Here's my criteria for the tires I'd like, and I'm hoping some of you seasoned pros can weigh in on which tire options might be good. As someone pretty new to off-roading, I'm open to any and all suggestions. What would you choose based on my criteria and why?
  • I want to be able to tackle moderately difficult trails with confidence, mostly in the form of mid-Atlantic region national forests, so they can be rocky, occasionally muddy, and tree-filled. For that, I'm thinking that I'll need something I can air down a bit when needed to lessen the risk of puncture, hence the desire to swap from 20" to 18" as many of you here have done.
  • In addition, safety on wet and occasionally snowy roads is very important, as is safe highway travel up to 85 mph for road trips
I see that some of you went with 265/70 R18 and I'm wondering if that's because 275/70 will likely rub?

Also, I'm not sure how important it is to look for the LT specification for the driving criteria described above. I read that they're better for off-roading in general, but many of the AT tires I've looked at don't have that spec and they are still listed as off-road capable.

The shop I talked to suggested Falken Wildpeak as something that might be good, but I'm also interested in Vredestein Pinza from some of the reviews I've seen.

Thanks for any guidance!
The LT tires will have a stronger sidewall and generally heavier construction, so better for being off-road, but also heavier so may affect on-road "feel" or acceleration. It's not really a requirement for mud / sand, but probably good if you'd be dealing with a lot of rocks or doing some rock crawling.

I've been considering Falken Wildpeak for my Defender - either 20's or going to 18's as well. I was originally going to go with the old standard BF Goodrich KO2's, but the reviews for the Wildpeak seem to be a LOT better for rain and ice/snow, which is why I'll probably pick them regardless of changing wheel size. I did some asking about Wildpeaks and I can't seem to find anyone who has used them on the Defender so I can't really say how they'd fit for sure, but a lot of 275/70's rub without other modifications.

The following users liked this post:
AliP (08-20-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 05:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,298 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by AliP

Thanks for any guidance!
I'm in the same boat. I have the Kimberley alloys but no tires yet. Grinding is done on one rear. Doing the other this weekend. (I'm slow. Someone proficient could do it in 30 mins or less)

I'm going with 265/70 R18 which is a 32.6" tire and an extra 1.25" sidewall. The biggest sidewall in a tough tire is my main criteria. This is a huge % increase in effective sidewall over the 255/60R20. The difference in size should not put too much stress on the drive-train and the change in the speedo is minimal.

275/70 R18 is a 33" tire and will rub. I don't want to muck about with any of that and do not want lift rods.

I'm going with the BFG KO2. E rated in this size. OEM size 255/70 R18 are D rated which may be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. Had toyed with the Grabber X3 for a bit. I'd love to get them but I think I'll end up regretting it. I don't off-road enough to justify a MT. The AT is the smarter choice.

Like you, I want to be able to hit more rocky, rooty terrain with more comfort and confidence in an aired down situation. (20" daft alloys leave you no scope for that)

Unlike you, I have no concerns about their winter capabilities. I have a set of Blizzaks I'll use and will continue to use on my 20" (275/55R20) from Nov-March

What ever tire you go with, if it is a 265/70, just be sure to get the dimensions from tire rack or the manufacturer. Some brands run a little taller than the nominal sizing.

Just my 2c

Best of luck with the mods.

Last edited by GavinC; 08-19-2022 at 05:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AliP (08-20-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 06:44 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

I also have a set of incoming 18" Kimberley and pre-shaved rear calipers on a P400, and am going with LT265/70R18 Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXPs (E load), which are a hybrid a/t and yet relatively light compared to most other hybrids of this girth. I live in SoCal, so 3-peak snowflake symbol definitely not a huge priority here. They are a tad taller than the average 265/70R18 at 32.87" due to the more aggressive tread design, but I am hoping the extra fraction of an inch won't be an issue. We'll see in about a week when they show up.

Especially if you hit lots of rocks and mud though, a milder a/t, while it offers a smoother and probably quieter ride on pavement where most of us hang out 90% of the time, it may not have enough bite to pull you through those slippery and tricky surfaces. Hybrids should offer a bit more of an aggressive tread for tackling those off-road terrains, while still managing to stay relatively composed and quiet on pavement (compared to a true Mud Terrain, anyway), and way lighter. I was happy with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my former Land Rover (a LR4 with 18" rims as well), but they are currently backordered in this size, so these Mickey Thompson (really rebadged Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP, M/T bought Dick Cepek) seem like a good alternative and "only" weigh 54 lbs, while coming with a decent 50k-mile treadwear warranty which means M/T feels comfortable they won't wear out too quickly.

In the size we are shopping for (265/70R18), I could not find a single A/T or similar tire rated Extra Load (XL), which is the minimum Land Rover recommends for the new Defender. Tires in this size are either SL / standard load (which are okay on lighter SIVs but should not be used on a Defender, theoretically) or Light Truck E-range, so which way to go is kind of a moot point in my opinion. Besides, rims as incredibly strong as the Kimberley would feel kind of a waste with SL passenger tires wrapped around them.

Last edited by umbertob; 08-19-2022 at 06:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by umbertob:
AliP (08-20-2022), GavinC (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 10:36 PM
Mudding
Received 267 Likes on 107 Posts

I’m also running BFG KO2 E-rated - the extra sidewall rubber means little worry when driving on sharp rocky trails.
I’ve been using this tire for many years on different vehicles- it’s extremely versatile and doesn’t care what you throw at it: snow, ice, mud, sand, rock, and decent on-road.
Size is 285-65R18 (with 1.5” lift). Yes I know, odd size on this forum, but I like the wider stance and less worry of dropping a bead when aired down with 8.5” wide wheels (no issues at 20psi).

The following 2 users liked this post by dj200:
AliP (08-20-2022), mopadzi (08-22-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 04:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
I also have a set of incoming 18" Kimberley and pre-shaved rear calipers on a P400, and am going with LT265/70R18 Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXPs (E load), which are a hybrid a/t and yet relatively light compared to most other hybrids of this girth. I live in SoCal, so 3-peak snowflake symbol definitely not a huge priority here. They are a tad taller than the average 265/70R18 at 32.87" due to the more aggressive tread design, but I am hoping the extra fraction of an inch won't be an issue. We'll see in about a week when they show up.

Especially if you hit lots of rocks and mud though, a milder a/t, while it offers a smoother and probably quieter ride on pavement where most of us hang out 90% of the time, it may not have enough bite to pull you through those slippery and tricky surfaces. Hybrids should offer a bit more of an aggressive tread for tackling those off-road terrains, while still managing to stay relatively composed and quiet on pavement (compared to a true Mud Terrain, anyway), and way lighter. I was happy with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my former Land Rover (a LR4 with 18" rims as well), but they are currently backordered in this size, so these Mickey Thompson (really rebadged Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP, M/T bought Dick Cepek) seem like a good alternative and "only" weigh 54 lbs, while coming with a decent 50k-mile treadwear warranty which means M/T feels comfortable they won't wear out too quickly.

In the size we are shopping for (265/70R18), I could not find a single A/T or similar tire rated Extra Load (XL), which is the minimum Land Rover recommends for the new Defender. Tires in this size are either SL / standard load (which are okay on lighter SIVs but should not be used on a Defender, theoretically) or Light Truck E-range, so which way to go is kind of a moot point in my opinion. Besides, rims as incredibly strong as the Kimberley would feel kind of a waste with SL passenger tires wrapped around them.
Even though many of the 265/70R18 do not have the XL designation, check the load ratings. For example, my new Vredestein Pinza AT actually has a higher load rating that the OEM Pirelli Scorpion XL rated tires and has a similar construction as far as sidewall and tread ply count. Max pressure to get to that higher load is 44psi as compared to the Pirelli 50psi. Not sure what the "XL" rating gets you if a standard load rated tire actually can carry more weight. I have yet to find an answer for that. In theory, the XL means it can take pressures above the typical 35psi max of a standard load tire. So why the Vredestein Pinzas don't have an XL designator is puzzling.

Last edited by POPTOPP; 08-21-2022 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:31 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

https://www.prioritytire.com/blog/st...load-xl-tires/

SL and XL tires are built different and, in same size comparisons, XL tires will be able to take higher air pressures and heavier loads.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
https://www.prioritytire.com/blog/st...load-xl-tires/

SL and XL tires are built different and, in same size comparisons, XL tires will be able to take higher air pressures and heavier loads.
Good point about keeping comparisons in the same size. For example, in the OEM 255/70R18 size, the standard load tires typically have a load index of 113 or 2,535 lbs which is less than the XLs at 2,756. However, when moving up a size which most of are doing, those larger standard load tires far exceed the OEM load rating. For example, the 265/70R18 typically the largest that will fit on an 18" wheel without modifications, no AT tires carried by Tire Rack are XL rated. The standard load tires in that size include the General Grabber, Toyo Open County, Falken Wildpeak and Goodrich Wrangler. All are very fine tires for the trail. While I can't speak to their construction, I can attest to the fact that the Vredestein Pinza have the same or superior construction to the OEM XL tire. I guess, my point is that when shopping for tires, that XL rating isn't a requirement. Rather it's load and construction.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:40 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T 275/55 20 with OEM 20" Rims

I finally got the MT Baja Boss on the Defender, it fits, no rubbing at all (in all highest) with the OEM 20" rims and in a tire size 275/55 20.
I was skeptical, but it was worth it. The drive is noticeably louder but not enough for my wife to notice. No other notes - 200 miles in, it is excellent.

I snapped some quick pictures on the fly but I'm happy to add more, if someone wants to see them from a different angle, close ups etc.

The following 6 users liked this post by DEFENDER2020:
D-Fens (09-01-2022), Defendit.. (09-02-2022), GrouseK9 (09-01-2022), Huc (09-02-2022), MattF (09-01-2022), Mike_F (09-01-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: No Lift tire size guide (work in progress)