2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Ladder Broken after 2.5 years

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 04:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

I work in biomed and we have aluminum cast brackets with similar profile/dimensions that are used on variable load far less than this ladder, think of monitor mount or some sort of holder arm. Anyway, they always break after certain years / number of loads.
Finally manufacturer changed to brass ones that are basically machined from single piece (more $$$ too).
I think JLR thought ladder won't be used as much, just there for urban coolness.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,169 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by wcc18999
It really sucks the OEM one broke. LR should be ashamed of this and they ought to comp you one.
they helpfully offered to sell me another for the low low price if $1100ish plus tax.

closer to 1200. I stoped listening after the 11.

it’s really incredible they can churn out this sort of garbage.

They’re aware of the fragility. They couldn’t care less.

Very easy to get hurt falling off ladders. I was fortunate.

I had been a big proponent of the design and its positioning. A side ladder is very useful. I still use it. I just don’t put weight on the lower 3 rungs.

I contacted LR directly via their FB. Pictures and info etc. I have little expectation they will reply. I just want a hinge.

Ladders to nowhere or ladders to never to be used racks will never break. It’s rare a week goes by that I wont be on mine.

Last edited by GavinC; 03-26-2024 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 08:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

Honestly, that kind of sucks. If you know somebody that is skilled with TIG some careful grinding to give some inset bead to the center of the casting, some O grade rod (super soft, pure aluminum). Then an access to a mill. After you weld it, mill off the protruding bead. My bud has a super Man-Cave, with all the above. Just would need the skilled welder dude. As part of my license on aircraft, welding castings is part of our training. On a funny note; during my practical test, the examiner handed me a broken gear casting and asked how I would weld it. After explaining the inspection, material evaluation and so on. I then said, "I would then take it to a good welder to do it." "I can't weld." I can supervise. He said, "good answer." Too bad, while at Soloy in Olympia, we had a contract welder that could butt weld aluminum foil. I unfortunately don't have his contact anymore.

What happened to you is why I opted out of the installed ladder options. I like this better:

The following 7 users liked this post by Dogpilot:
GavinC (03-23-2024), GrouseK9 (03-27-2024), lightning (03-24-2024), Ratledge (03-24-2024), TheManMac (03-24-2024), WAFOX (03-24-2024), WTFChuck (03-24-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-23-2024, 11:07 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
Honestly, that kind of sucks. If you know somebody that is skilled with TIG ...
Sadly i don't have any welder mates anymore. When I lived in north Queensland, two of my best mates were great welders. A fitter and a boiler maker if memory serves. They even let me have a crack at it one evening after a few cold ones. Sadly, I don't know anyone with the skills anymore.

Frustratingly, there has to be shelves with boxes of these hinges sitting about somewhere in China most probably.
Most things are made to be replaced rather than repaired. Such a simple 5 minute repair with a new hinge. Shame it can't be ordered.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
they helpfully offered to sell me another for the low low price if $1100ish plus tax.

closer to 1200. I stoped listening after the 11.

it’s really incredible they can churn out this sort of garbage.

They’re aware of the fragility. They couldn’t care less.

Very easy to get hurt falling off ladders. I was fortunate.

I had been a big proponent of the design and its positioning. A side ladder is very useful. I still use it. I just don’t put weight on the lower 3 rungs.

I contacted LR directly via their FB. Pictures and info etc. I have little expectation they will reply. I just want a hinge.

Ladders to nowhere or ladders to never to be used racks will never break. It’s rare a week goes by that I wont be on mine.
If you do not get a reply from LR, I would get an attorney to send them a letter. You could have gotten seriously hurt on that ladder and they are liable for designing a faulty weak ladder which is obviously not fit for its purpose. They need to have a warning label on the ladder! You buy LR products for their sturdiness and durability.

Old 03-24-2024, 07:48 AM
Pro Wrench

If you do not get a reply from LR, I would get an attorney to send them a letter. You could have gotten seriously hurt on that ladder and they are liable for designing a faulty weak ladder which is obviously not fit for its purpose. They need to have a warning label on the ladder! You buy LR products for their sturdiness and durability.
I think you’re confusing me with someone who likes spending money.

I'm not about to pay a lawyer when I’m too tight-fisted to buy a $220 knockoff for its lovely hinges.

I already used my best zip-tie too. I’d been saving that for a special occasion

Last edited by GavinC; 03-26-2024 at 06:52 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GavinC:
Defendher (03-24-2024), rcmike57 (04-28-2024), TheManMac (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 08:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Has nothing to do with wanting to spend money on attorneys. It is not about the money but the principle of designing a ladder that breaks with no warning.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:32 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
yes. Aluminum casting. Looked porous. From my phone call with parts it Sounds like LR are aware of this design flaw. Not an isolated failure it seems.

I have a hunch the majority of ladders installed never see any use so the cycle numbers to failure might take an eon or two.
I’ve seen some on Defenders with no rack or bars. Ladder to nowhere. 22” rims and RAI pair well with them.

seems like a ladder designed to snap without warning is a lawsuit in waiting

Very disappointing to see such bad quality in an OEM part. A true safety issue.

cheapest option may be to buy a knockoff for about 250-300 and use it for parts. 1 hinge.
i run a foundry and i am not sure what you mean by 'looked porous' ? its entirely possible to weld it back together.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:36 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Has nothing to do with wanting to spend money on attorneys. It is not about the money but the principle of designing a ladder that breaks with no warning.
you sound naive about how the legal system works.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:45 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by outcast
i run a foundry and i am not sure what you mean by 'looked porous' ? its entirely possible to weld it back together.
"looked porous" I can see holes in the casting. Looks like a granular sponge in places.

I'm sure it could be welded together. It's made of metal after all. (aluminum by the looks of it)

Sadly I do not run, own, or by other means have access to a foundry. Poor life choices I guess.

Quick Reply: OEM Ladder Broken after 2.5 years