Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Roof Ladder install comments and Alpine Window Q

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 04:07 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default OEM Roof Ladder install comments and Alpine Window Q

I installed the LR roof ladder today. All went pretty well, but there are a few of things to be aware of:
Despite what the LR instructions say, it is not a two person job. That being said, I did put some foam board on window while fitting ladder, as well as painters tape above and below trim piece.

Trim piece holes: I watched the PowerfulUK video beforehand. One of his pointers is to drill the hole in the trim piece slightly above center. I did this, but it turns out it should be WAY higher, partly due to the bolt coming in at an angle. I drilled the hole using a 3/4" spade bit (closed thing I have to 19mm), but I ended up having to grind the top of the hole pretty much just into the top shoulder of the trim piece.

Roof rail mounting: despite what some have said here, you do not necessarily need to mount the racks or ladder first- it depends on which roof rails you have. If you have one with several large slots at both ends, then it doesn't seem to matter. If you have one with fewer slots then I think the order would matter.

Torques: the translation for the torques are ~ 35 ft-lbf for the side mounting, ~53 in-lbf for the top mounting.

Top mounting: per Simon at PowerfulUK's advice, I used longer M6-1.0 bolts to temporarily holt the ladder in place until the short little bolts in the kit could be fitted. Makes it much easier.

Top mounting alignment: The LR instructions say to align so the bolts are centered in the holes top to bottom. My ladder frame may have been subtly warped, as it was a real bear to do this- when one was lined up, the other wasn't. Finally got it lined up by putting a drift punch in one of the elongated holes to prevent it moving and manhandling the ladder to align the other. I ended up going a little above the advised torque in hopes that will prevent movement. In the end though, The alignment really only affects the spacing from the window. Not sure it would have been noticeable if it wasn't perfect.
Sorry no photos- I didn't realize there were so many points until I was done. The PowerfulUK video and the LR directions do prepare you pretty well.

Now I am hoping you guys can help me by looking at your vehicle's alpine window weather stripping along the top edge, center. I noticed mine looked like it wasn't tucked under the window, but when I compared sides they were both the same. So are yours the same? Not sure what the purpose would be, but if everyone's is that way, then it must be on purpose. See photos below.

Left side.

Right side.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (09-15-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 04:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Great color!

The following 2 users liked this post by crcjr1963:
GrouseK9 (09-15-2022), wnewport (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 07:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Holes for the ladder. Just off center. Mine came with little template but still a measure twice and then measure a gain a few times before drilling.

A 19mm hole saw is ~ =3/4" as near as makes no difference.

I've not noticed any issues with the alpine windows.

I didn't notice any difficult or odd angles on the bolts.
All lined up nicely

Love the color.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GavinC

I've not noticed any issues with the alpine windows.

Love the color.
I think what I am seeing on mine might be what I have circled on your alpine window. Looks like it might be the same thing- rubber seal in center top on top of the window vice below window.

You got a template? Was it a factory kit? If I followed the directions in the factory kit I would have drilled half way up and been way off. Mine was like your right hand hole in the end as far as the top edge.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

Those seals are totally normal. Granted I have a 110 and not a 90 but same thing.

I did see in some instructions for something (the expedition roof rack, or maybe roof rails) this same seal anomaly in the actual instructions in the photo, so... tis normal.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by wnewport
I think what I am seeing on mine might be what I have circled on your alpine window. Looks like it might be the same thing- rubber seal in center top on top of the window vice below window.

You got a template? Was it a factory kit? If I followed the directions in the factory kit I would have drilled half way up and been way off. Mine was like your right hand hole in the end as far as the top edge.
Yes OEM factory kit from dealer. Template was just a little stick on thing. I measured and measured and measured again. Didn't really fully trust it.

The rubber seal does seem to move from under to over to under the upper margin of the window. Looks to be by design and not a flaw.

Under to over transition point

Seems to correspond with the internal window frame/divider where the anchors for the cargo wall are.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:22 AM
Drifting

That's a relief. I also went and looked at the directions for the cross bars that were still laying around and it shows that transition too in one of the illustrations. Thanks to you both for setting my mind at ease!