Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Option Regrets

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 10:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Option Regrets

For those who have a new Defender, I was wondering if you have any regrets about the options you picked or didn't pick? I am looking at ordering a 2022 P300 110 S, with a mind of taking it off road. Given the customization possibilities LR offers, its easy to get overwhelmed. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

My current build:
https://build.landrover/6C3F3BE2

Last edited by heliochrome85; 04-18-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Top Answer

09-08-2023, 10:50 AM
sarek
Rock Crawling
Received 628 Likes on 203 Posts

With a lot of experience with all of the options, here is my short list. I am at 60k miles on mine with all kinds of terrain driven. My focus is capabilitiy off road and simplicity focused on having the least problems when out on the trails. . D90 is preferred for off road (lighter , perfect all around wheelbase, better turning radius) unless people need to be transported. 1. Tow hitch reciever, not tow package.(as stated above)2. P300 (less complex, not mild hybrid, lighter weight)3. Fuji white (looks best after scratches and dirt. Also reflects heat)4. 18 inch steel wheels ( less likely to crack, easy to hammer out a dent, much nicer conical lug nuts)5. Coil springs ( durability, simplicity, easier to upgrade to custom shocks, springs ) air has its benefits, and a lot of them, but there is a larger potential for failure and does force electronic dampening shocks which have known issues and are proprietary. Custom coil springs and fully tuned remote reservoir shocks are in the works6. No active differential. I know a lot of people will disagree, however, this goes back to simplicity vs actual benefit off road. The factory active diff is just that. It decides when to lock and unlock based on settings and feedback. It has its own ECU, electric motor, internal clutches and harness. The other drawback is the differential is much wider. This requires a much shorter cv axles on the left. This is another limiting factor for travel on the rear axle. My 90 does not have the active diff, And I have proven that it is not a requirement for very heavy off-road use. Alternatively the working prototype for an ARB locker is already done to allow a selectable rear cross pinned heavy duty differential. In addition chromoly axles are in the pipeline. Now for the options that have grown on me. Definitely not a requirement,1. Full digital dash. I have to admit, it is nice2. Upgraded sound system. It is so much better than the base system3. Leather interior trim. The wetsuit material has proven to be very difficult to clean and does not wear well over time. The stuff I would leave to the aftermarket 1. Any off road mods including racks, bumpers, ladders , winch kits, skids, and so on. JLR are not a good value here2. Tires. Much better options in the aftermarket. Stick with 18s The choices are very good. 3. Specific software only items. Hence what we call activations. The nice thing about doing these afterwards is that you are not forced to add other options just to get those software only items. Tow assist 2, terrain response 2, and so on. Plus there are some pretty cool ones that you cannot get through JLR. I'm sure I'm missing a couple here, but generally I tell people get the creature comforts you really want mainly on the interior. Those are the items that are very expensive to retrofit after the fact. Leave most of the actual proper off-road items to the folks that know how to do it.. j2c.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:16 AM
4wd Low
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice build. I'd add tow package or whatever the option is, even if you're not planning on using it much. Parts alone are $1900 (after the fact) and dealers are quoting another $800-1000 for installation.

The following 2 users liked this post by JDBFreeheel:
Magnumforc (04-27-2021), SpyHop (06-07-2024)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine has the Cold Climate pack as well, and I will say that if I were building from scratch (I was able to buy off the lot), I might opt to not get it. I find the heating elements in the windshield are more visible than I would like. Especially at night with oncoming headlights, it makes those lit up areas look a little blurry. That being said, my wife hasn’t commented on it at all, so it might just be something that my eyes are more sensitive to than others. I haven’t read others complaining about it either.

Otherwise looks like you have covered a lot of good options in your build.

The following 2 users liked this post by BRW110:
DrPizz (09-07-2023), Magnumforc (04-27-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 06:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

I was concerned about road noise and was able to order the active diff without getting the off-road tires then I saw the stock off-road tires and realized they weren't THAT aggressive and would probably be fine. And then a piece of driveway gravel punctured a stock Pirelli Scorpion at only 2k miles and I really knew I'd made a bad choice. But luckily it's I've we don't have to live with forever.

BTW love the cold pack and heated windshield, especially when it snows.

The following users liked this post:
Magnumforc (04-27-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 06:06 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Avoid the snorkel at all costs.

And I might have opted for an aftermarket seat cover for the rear seats, for looks, but my son hasnt complained about it.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:44 AM
Drifting
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

I think if I had to do it all over again the only things I would add to my D90 would be the towing package and the Clear Sight Mirror.

In addition to the the towing package doing normal towing duties, it also provides a nice recovery point. As far as the clear sight mirror goes, I went back and forth on that one. During a couple of test drives my eyes just didn't get along with it very well. I'm sure it's something I could have adjusted to over time, but I decided to leave it off. Now looking back I should have just included it in my build and used it only when the back was loaded and my view completely blocked.

You have a great build and you will love it!

Old 04-19-2021, 07:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 71 Likes on 25 Posts

Very much regret not getting the towing package. As JDB notes above, parts to do it yourself are absurdly priced.

JDBFreeheel (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,375 Likes on 677 Posts

And Tow Package isn't just towing. It includes:

Receiver
Advanced Tow Assist (guides truck back to the tongue of trailer)
Terrain Response 2
ATPC
Configurable Terrain Response

The last three can be had without Tow Package (as Off Road Pack 2, iirc), and are about $850 iirc (not looking at website, I'm looking at my order details). So the Tow package is about a grand extra, at $1850.

JDBFreeheel (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 09:49 AM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

I didn't do the whole tow package, only added the hitch. I don't actually tow, but the hitch is always a must have, bike racks, recovery point, who knows.

I think it was only a $650 add, instead of the whole pack. Just a thought...

JDBFreeheel (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 11:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 697 Likes on 405 Posts

I have an off-road, working vehicle build of a P300. My comments ....

1. You have chosen the rear-locking e diff wth terrain response 2 ..... Great. That is job 1 !

2. Job two is the towing pack. Not because of the silly back up feature, but because towing on a hill, slick surface (gravel, mud, snow) , either forward or backward of any weight more than 1500 lbs (including the trailer) will have you leveraging LO range and the fact that the logic of the locking rear diff. includes locking the rear at the start of the pull (or push up hill). With 4000 lbs, backing up a gravel road, the LO range, locked rear diff really makes a positive difference. To add it later, while possible, is not economical.

3. I confess that even though my eyes cannot really enjoy the computer screen nature of the clear view mirror, I now use it 100% of the time. And my mind seems to be becoming accustomed. My recovery boards are strapped to the rear tire (cause I abhor the sound from a roof rack). So thus, I cannot effectively see out the rear, virtually at all.

4. If you are in a cold climate (I am not now), the heated windshield is really nice. A pure luxury. I have it on my LR4, and it does spoil a person.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 04-19-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Option Regrets