Sponsored by:

Owner Reviews for Defender 110 P400

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 06:30 PM
4wd Low
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Owner Reviews for Defender 110 P400

Gang,

Hoping to get some honest owner reviews on a Land Rover Defender 110 P400. I am about to place an order and leave a deposit for a Defender 110 SE P400 because I LOVE THE CAR, but, on the other hand, I've seen a few online reviews and read a few online posts that make me very wary of spending $80k+ on a car that might end up being a headache. Of course, most folks take the time to post a review if/when they are really pissed, so it is hard to base any decision off of [bad] reviews. I am hoping for a more balanced assessment here.

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2022, 06:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

It's awesome. I have a 2020 110 X (P400 also). Of all the LR/RR's I've had over the years (15 or so?) this is hands down the best, most complete package/product.

I'd say.... Don't listen to the bad reviews. That said I like cars that keep me involved, which I'd say is the case for any Land Rover.

I love the way this thing makes me feel driving it... so cool. Point and shoot. Handles well. Almost sporty with the P400. Fast enough to be entertaining. Great offroad (if not a bit of a learning curve on how to actually drive it off road since alot of old offroad driving technique goes out the window with the Defender and other modern LR).

What I love:
--P400 motor is very good, sounds, power curve, responsiveness, etc...
--Terrain settings are pretty awesome at keeping it moving offroad without drama or wheelspin
--Interior. Seating position and dashboard / cabin is cool, utilitarian
--Pivi pro (the navigation/center screen system that debuted in 2020 on the new Defender)... it is well designed, intuitive and doesn't annoy you using it

More squishy subjective stuff I love:
--How it makes me feel when driving it
--It looks utterly badass in any setting, dirty or clean.
--I don't feel like a bit of a rich jerk driving it (which was the case in various Range Rovers...) - it's expensive, sure, but it doesn't scream it to the world like a full fat Range Rover might.

Issues I've had:
--Most of my issues have been, rather annoyingly, software and software update related but now that it's 3 years into production, I think these have gotten better with the updates.
--I did have one air suspension line voss fitting go bad as well. But that could have happened on any Rover ie RRC in the 90's to present.
--I had one trim piece fall off the A-pillar, and rattling speaker grilles on the Meridian sound system. Small issues.

My minor gripes with my Defender:
--I think it could be a little more aggressive out of the factory -- sits too low in normal ride height, and the optional AT tires are not exceptional. So I added 1.5" rod lift and 275/60/R20 tires (1" larger, 33" instead of 32', so all in I have it 2" higher than stock. The All Terrain 20 inch tires are at best fine. Not a hair better than "fine". I put more aggressive slightly larger tires on it and it looks better, feels better, and far more capable off road / in snow.
--I'd like a bit more bolstering on the front seats. They are very comfortable on long trips, but I like a bit more (what I'm used to.. I guess the upside is the leather on the bolsters won't wear as much?)

The following 7 users liked this post by nashvegas:
Caliber (01-01-2023), cfw3rd (12-29-2022), Elektrapops (12-31-2022), Huc (12-29-2022), LandRanger (12-29-2022), mopadzi (01-05-2023), wcc18999 (01-07-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-28-2022, 06:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

We've got ~20k miles on our 2020 110 SE P400 that we ordered in the summer of 2020. It's my wife's DD and a ski trip and occasional OBX beach/dunes vehicle.

I don't think we could be happier with it.

​​​​​​

Last edited by Kev M; 12-29-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2022, 07:15 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by nashvegas
It's awesome. I have a 2020 110 X (P400 also). Of all the LR/RR's I've had over the years (15 or so?) this is hands down the best, most complete package/product.

I'd say.... Don't listen to the bad reviews. That said I like cars that keep me involved, which I'd say is the case for any Land Rover.

I love the way this thing makes me feel driving it... so cool. Point and shoot. Handles well. Almost sporty with the P400. Fast enough to be entertaining. Great offroad (if not a bit of a learning curve on how to actually drive it off road since alot of old offroad driving technique goes out the window with the Defender and other modern LR).

What I love:
--Terrain settings are pretty awesome at keeping it moving offroad without drama or wheelspin
--Pivi pro (the navigation/center screen system that debuted in 2020 on the new Defender)... it is well designed, intuitive and doesn't annoy you using it

--I don't feel like a bit of a rich jerk driving it (which was the case in various Range Rovers...) - it's expensive, sure, but it doesn't scream it to the world like a full fat Range Rover might.

Issues I've had:
--Most of my issues have been, rather annoyingly, software and software update related but now that it's 3 years into production, I think these have gotten better with the updates.
--I did have one air suspension line voss fitting go bad as well. But that could have happened on any Rover ie RRC in the 90's to present.
--I had one trim piece fall off the A-pillar, and rattling speaker grilles on the Meridian sound system. Small issues.

--I think it could be a little more aggressive out of the factory -- sits too low in normal ride height, and the optional AT tires are not exceptional. So I added 1.5" rod lift and 275/60/R20 tires (1" larger, 33" instead of 32', so all in I have it 2" higher than stock. The All Terrain 20 inch tires are at best fine. Not a hair better than "fine". I put more aggressive slightly larger tires on it and it looks better, feels better, and far more capable off road / in snow.
--I'd like a bit more bolstering on the front seats. They are very comfortable on long trips, but I like a bit more (what I'm used to.. I guess the upside is the leather on the bolsters won't wear as much?)
WOW. I couldn't ask for a better, more extensive review than that! If you don't mind me asking, did you buy an Extended Warranty for the car? If so, did you buy it from your selling dealer or were you able to shop around at other dealers to get a better price. That is currently my sticking with my dealer, i.e. I am buying the car so want to inoculate myself against future issues, but the price is ridiculous. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Chrisbob (06-29-2023)
Old 12-28-2022, 07:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

No extended warranty (I stopped doing that years ago, the financials never made sense and I had one extended warranty company go out of business ie threw 3K away from buying it at an Audi dealer).

I bought mine slightly used at a few K over sticker (it was 11 mos old but the exact spec I had wanted, down to every detail) and cancelled an MSRP order I had with a dealer I've bought multiple Rovers from, mostly because I was getting annoyed with waiting game in 2020, figured I'd rather have it than wait another 6 mos...

The following 3 users liked this post by nashvegas:
DrPizz (12-29-2022), ficklma1 (12-28-2022), Kev M (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 07:33 PM
4wd Low

No extended warranty (I stopped doing that years ago, the financials never made sense and I had one extended warranty company go out of business ie threw 3K away from buying it at an Audi dealer).

I bought mine slightly used at a few K over sticker (it was 11 mos old but the exact spec I had wanted, down to every detail) and cancelled an MSRP order I had with a dealer I've bought multiple Rovers from, mostly because I was getting annoyed with waiting game in 2020, figured I'd rather have it than wait another 6 mos...
I hear you on that front. It typically pays to self-insure, unless you are the one who defies the actuarial tables ;-) Okay. Thanks!

Old 12-28-2022, 08:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

What I love:

Issues I've had:

All of the above and it’s one of the best if not the best riding vehicle I have driven. Way better than my wife’s RR Sport and much better than any BMW I have owned. Infiniti QX80 is close on the interstate but when you throw in driving on rougher roads there is no comparison.

The following 2 users liked this post by Nuckle:
ficklma1 (12-28-2022), switch (12-28-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 06:37 AM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve got 9k miles on my ‘22 P400 110 SE, and I’ve never second guessed the decision to get it.

Agree with all the points listed above. No issues with the vehicle so far. (Knock on wood)

Two minor annoyances off the start that were an easy fix using the guys at PowerfulUK:

1. The LED overhead light for the trunk (very little factory lighting back there)
2. The upgraded reverse lights (almost impossible to see anything when reversing at night if there’s no other light)

Enjoy!

The following 2 users liked this post by Lakenorman15:
ficklma1 (12-29-2022), Huc (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 06:59 AM
Mudding
Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a '22 D100 P400SE that I picked up ~16 months ago and have about 11k miles on it. I originally started with an order for a Bronco, and never owned anything Land Rover. I was concerned about the reliability reports, but so far it seems like that concern was misplaced. I've taken it from DC to South Dakota and Wyoming and back, took it off-road in SD (and for a few days the temps were near 100), and I've had no issues. It's a pleasure to drive, comfortable, looks great (I'm always looking back at it after I park), and I have zero regrets getting it over the Bronco. Aside from the previously mentioned reverse light issue (I just received and need to install the upgraded / extra reverse lights from Powerful UK), and the factory tires not being great off-road (I swapped them already for some Falken Wildpeaks), I wouldn't change anything

The following users liked this post:
ficklma1 (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 10:55 AM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Pretty similar to what everyone else has mentioned. I've had my 110X since Dec 2020. I'm at 18K miles. Only mod I've done is replaced the 20" off road tires with Falken Wildpeaks AT3W.

Only issue I had was needing the key fob receiver TSB (relocation) done. That 100% resolved the flaky behavior. No other issues aside from that.

Quick Reply: Owner Reviews for Defender 110 P400