2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P300 and P400 production halted ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 04:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Default P300 and P400 production halted ?

Yes, that is the question. I hope is bogus, wrong, not true, or just a rumor.... but I got news that the P400s are now too on "ice" due to lack of components - no idea what components. Some deliveries are still happening (residual stock) and they are manufacturing now just V8s. No P400 production for the near or foreseeable future. Does any one have more details if this is true, or otherwise ?

Top Answer

02-21-2022, 05:08 PM
The Insider
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Yes, that is the question. I hope is bogus, wrong, not true, or just a rumor.... but I got news that the P400s are now too on "ice" due to lack of components - no idea what components. Some deliveries are still happening (residual stock) and they are manufacturing now just V8s. No P400 production for the near or foreseeable future. Does any one have more details if this is true, or otherwise ?
While not entirely inaccurate- a bit dramatic. The P400 is more profitable than the P300 for us in the US market, so it's in our interest to keep it rolling off the line. However, the MHEV system and powertrain in the P400 consumes more chips and some other bits and pieces. Therefore we sometimes need to rotate focus to the P300. Also, lots of P300 customers in the US feel that they've been forgotten and we have a lot of orders to catch up on.

Long story short- yes we're taking focus off P400 for a short period of time to focus on other powertrains. However, you folks across the pond forget we also sell the D250 and D300 engines in the UK and markets outside the US. Those are honestly the preferred powertrains, but Americans are dead set against diesel vehicles and our most recent attempt to sell them in the US didn't go well at all. Apparently a 30mpg (US Gallon) Discovery, RRS and Range Rover did not entice you all.

Have no fear, we have plenty of P400 orders that need to be filled and chip/parts supply moves in waves. Give us a couple of months

Lastly, this might be controversial with you petrol loving folks- but honestly the P300 is the better Defender. It's lighter, handles better, has a pleasant ride quality, allows for the 18" wheels and has less to go wrong overall. When we donate D110's for work use they're either equipped with P300's or Diesel variants.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by The Insider; 02-22-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:08 PM
Mudding
Received 310 Likes on 90 Posts

While not entirely inaccurate- a bit dramatic. The P400 is more profitable than the P300 for us in the US market, so it's in our interest to keep it rolling off the line. However, the MHEV system and powertrain in the P400 consumes more chips and some other bits and pieces. Therefore we sometimes need to rotate focus to the P300. Also, lots of P300 customers in the US feel that they've been forgotten and we have a lot of orders to catch up on.

Long story short- yes we're taking focus off P400 for a short period of time to focus on other powertrains. However, you folks across the pond forget we also sell the D250 and D300 engines in the UK and markets outside the US. Those are honestly the preferred powertrains, but Americans are dead set against diesel vehicles and our most recent attempt to sell them in the US didn't go well at all. Apparently a 30mpg (US Gallon) Discovery, RRS and Range Rover did not entice you all.

Have no fear, we have plenty of P400 orders that need to be filled and chip/parts supply moves in waves. Give us a couple of months

Lastly, this might be controversial with you petrol loving folks- but honestly the P300 is the better Defender. It's lighter, handles better, has a pleasant ride quality, allows for the 18" wheels and has less to go wrong overall. When we donate D110's for work use they're either equipped with P300's or Diesel variants.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by The Insider; 02-22-2022 at 11:13 AM.
The following 14 users liked this post by The Insider:
ADVAW8S (02-24-2022), catman (02-21-2022), DefenderSISU (02-22-2022), eddieisreal (02-21-2022), Elektrapops (02-28-2022), Low Country (02-22-2022), markjlr (02-22-2022), mopadzi (02-23-2022), new to landrover (02-22-2022), Rob Forrest (02-21-2022), robn (02-21-2022), TrioLRowner (02-22-2022), WARWGN (02-22-2022), ybsheen (02-22-2022) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-21-2022, 05:35 PM
Rock Crawling

@The Insider Howdy ! thanks for the very, very quick response.
As I presume you are an "insider" ... here are some general questions:
- We, the Americans are not against diesel. Not a bit. There are automakers out there that do sell diesel in US, and they sell well. In fact I am still longing after my recently sold Velar D180 ( 43 MPG ) but that is another story.
- MHEV system is kinda of self imposed flagellation by JLR - going the electric way, is not going to save JLR from crazy greenies, and will not win new customers. If the P400 was to be sold as MHEV and a regular one here in the states, I would have not touched the MHEV with a 10 ft pole. Not necessarily because of the the price, but the technology is still years away from being perfect - also prone to more issues.
- P300 being a better vehicle and can get 18" wheels - well, there is the problem with your sales guys feeling the market: don't you think people would buy P400 (more profitable) if you find a way to put 18" on them ? - but, who am I to tell you that ... just a thought.
- Chips, parts, etc. Do a Toyota ! build a factory in US. They will sell. You have no idea. Besides, if they are built here ( one of the biggest markets ) they won't get stuck on a ship, or having chain supply issues. Think big !
So, I got 3 orders ( well, more like allocations ) on the pipe right now, and ... there goes nothing. I guess I will have to take your word for it ... for now
Hope all is well at JLR, but honestly, and respectfully like right now, the perception of the image of the company, looks like is a bit of chaos ... leadership crisis. Take care of your customers, or ...some one else will.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

I also really appreciate the info from @The Insider , but I also disagree with a little of what I read.

The problem with diesel in the US is regulation, infrastructure, and priorities. In much of the US diesel fuel is much less common and more heavily taxed so you lose much of the benefit of greater mpg. Also the use of DEF adds another cost and inconvenience that makes it less desirable. Then there are regions where cold half the year make it less desirable.

Sure, you can't beat it for towing and serious work, but even with Defenders MOST owners don't get that serious about the work/adventure use.

I concur about the P400 and the 18's, that would have been our choice. But the P400 is sublime for US highway duty and a pleasure in everyday use. I could go with a P300 in a D90, but not in the family truckster. The handling improvements are fractional on such a vehicle.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kev M:
dj200 (02-21-2022), mopadzi (02-23-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 07:24 PM
4wd High
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Insider
While not entirely inaccurate- a bit dramatic. The P400 is a more profitable than the P300 for us in the US market, so it's in our interest to keep it rolling off the line. However, the MHEV system and powertrain in the P400 consumes more chips and some other bits and pieces. Therefore we sometimes need to rotate focus to the P300. Also, lots of P300 customers in the US feel that they've been forgotten and we have a lot of orders to catch up on.

Hope this helps.
As someone waiting on a P300 w/ steel wheels I am happy to hear this. Also I say I would love a diesel in the US but I know it just wouldn’t sell well which is a shame.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by eddieisreal
.....Also I say I would love a diesel in the US but I know it just wouldn’t sell well which is a shame.
Why would you think that ?
Diesel engines these days are not what they used to be in the '70s.
It is THE most efficient engine (a.k.a. less pollution). Yes, they have neutered it with all kind of stupid chemicals, and after burners, but is still more efficient than gasoline and electric ( last part can be a PhD thesis but, that is another story for another day).
It is heavily taxed, because is very efficient. Is meant to discourage its use.
This P400 is my first gasoline car in many years. Why ? Because I missed my previous Defender and because JLR did not gave us a choice here in US.
If INEOS will get a diesel engine, my P400 will be on the market the next day. I know, the Grenadier does not come close to Defender, but I could live with that for a diesel engine - yes, even a BMW one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mechano2020:
DefenderSISU (02-22-2022), dj200 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 10:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Diesels don't sell well because of the VW emissions scandal. It's unfortunate as we've had a TD6 RRS and now a TD6 full size and have loved them and the mileage. Unfortunately we'll have to move on to a gas powered RR when we get our 2023.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:27 PM
4wd High
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you think that ?
Diesel engines these days are not what they used to be in the '70s.
It is THE most efficient engine (a.k.a. less pollution). Yes, they have neutered it with all kind of stupid chemicals, and after burners, but is still more efficient than gasoline and electric ( last part can be a PhD thesis but, that is another story for another day).
It is heavily taxed, because is very efficient. Is meant to discourage its use.
This P400 is my first gasoline car in many years. Why ? Because I missed my previous Defender and because JLR did not gave us a choice here in US.
If INEOS will get a diesel engine, my P400 will be on the market the next day. I know, the Grenadier does not come close to Defender, but I could live with that for a diesel engine - yes, even a BMW one.
I don’t think it would sell as well as gas counterparts because of a few reasons. First is culture, a lot of Americans have never owned a diesel and we are creatures of habit IMO. Second is convenience, we’re lazy and don’t like DEF or finding the gas station by us that has diesel when we’re used to refueling at Costco after we do our weekly shopping for example. Third is cost, lots of places across the US diesel costs much more than even higher octane gas. The average American is not a car fanatic and cannot reason between efficiency and price. Which is why the INEOS grenadier can get away with a diesel, their target market is limited to a specific segment of car buyers. They’re experimenting with a cool project off roader, they as a business have multiple other streams of income that don’t rely on car sales. JLR NEEDS a product that appeals to many different people, the extreme off-roader, the casual weekend off roader and even (to the dismay of many forum members) soccer moms.

I think they knocked it out of the park even without a diesel option. If we do get one then that would be great but I do understand the reasoning behind us not having that option at least initially. Businesses want to make money and despite our confirmation bias we build up by pleading for diesels on YouTube and forums there’s a reason we don’t see more of them like in European markets.

I bet if JLR did market research and saw the potential upside to bringing a defender diesel to our market they will. Only time can tell although I do believe it could simplify their production by cutting out the current p300 gas option and switching to the diesel for all markets.

That is only my opinion and I don’t work in the car industry so my opinion just might be worthless.

Last edited by eddieisreal; 02-21-2022 at 10:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TrioLRowner (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 06:03 AM
Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by The Insider
While not entirely inaccurate- a bit dramatic. The P400 is a more profitable than the P300 for us in the US market, so it's in our interest to keep it rolling off the line. However, the MHEV system and powertrain in the P400 consumes more chips and some other bits and pieces. Therefore we sometimes need to rotate focus to the P300. Also, lots of P300 customers in the US feel that they've been forgotten and we have a lot of orders to catch up on.

Hope this helps.
Thank you "The Insider", I am grateful that we have you on this forum as you can help clear a lot of misinformation floating out there. Good news on the prioritization of the P300, hopefully that helps speed up the order that my son placed earlier in the month for a 110 P300.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

There was a guy on M3post a few years ago that pretended he worked at BMW NA and said that the "M3 will no longer be coming to the USA" and it was a hilarious thread.
Not *at all* saying that's what' happening here, as I appreciate the window into JLR, but it made me think of it.

The following users liked this post:
Mechano2020 (02-22-2022)

Quick Reply: P300 and P400 production halted ?