2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A pillar problem - what is the state of the art?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 06:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks Trio! Mine is still in the shop (long story short... my LCD cluster never properly showed maps so it's being replaced). I'll post here when I get an update on the A-pillar.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,167 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Chief65, Red Austin, et. al.

I have an appointment at the local dealer in 7 days.

This past weekend I walked my 2020 VIN number through the instructions which PaulLR provided (thanks!) and found my lower bolt cover was broken and would need to be replaced by the dealer.

So I stopped by there this morning and they let me know that the fix had changed and would require these three parts (which they ordered):

LR161362 Finisher Outer
LR161347 Finisher Outer
LR161359 Finisher Outer

They totaled $352.55 material only - if paid outside warranty. All three fit the Defender and supersede the previous part numbers.

I could not find any pictures of them.

The parts guy at the dealer said the parts MAY arrive this week. In any case, I will let you know how look the parts, when they arrive and how they install.

Enjoy !!
So there are actually 3 parts per side... 1 - The Exterior A Pillar (which is either painted all gloss black or gloss black at top and bottom and body color in middle), 2 - The A Pillar Mounting bracket, and the 3 - lower "bolt cover" (which is painted body color even if you have black pack and black pillars), which is what keeps flying off of my car.

FYI, I would check because if they are only doing the repair on one side, that's pretty lame because you'll just be back in 5 mos for the other one when it starts rattling around. I believe you technically should have 6 parts ordered. 3 for each side.

I'm in the middle of this on my 110 now with the dealer, having had LR161362 (left side primed lower bolt cover) & LR140273 (right side primed lower bolt cover) on backorder for the past 8 weeks with no date in sight.

Re: the parts list they gave you....

1) LR161362 - which is the lower part (Left side) - bolt cover that has to get painted, like this. This is same one I'm waitin' on

2) LR161347 - this is the pre-painted gloss black left side A pillar

3) I'm not sure what "LR161359 Finisher Outer" is... I guess the mounting bracket or associated part. I would have expected it to be this part # LR140166 for the left side:

(with apologies to friends at powerfuluk for photo borrowing, maybe it helps their sales

Last edited by nashvegas; 04-12-2022 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Thank you, NashVegas.

I just printed out the pictures and numbers you sent and also dug around a little more on the internet to understand more. My time with the dealer led me to suspect they have not previously ordered any of these parts and they do not know which parts to order. Your note confirms my fear.

My only positive additional learning is I surmise the word "applique" to mean that part upon which a finishing item is placed.

I have my 21K service set for next week, and I will discuss the dealer's parts ordering status then. My only positive hope is that the numbers they ordered reflect the pieces painted to match my vehicle (yes, it's surely a Quixotesque dream, I know).

More to come ....

Old 04-13-2022, 12:12 PM
Pro Wrench

Glad it's helpful. The one thing I'll say is... for some reason that last part says "door appliqué" -- when it really should be an "a pillar appliqué". So, it's odd that it's named that. That's the one part # I'm not 100% sure of btw

Last edited by nashvegas; 04-13-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 03:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

(yes, it's surely a Quixotesque dream, I know).
You may already know this, trio, and just be fooling around, but for most of my young adulthood I knew the word quixotic, but it wasn’t till much later, maybe when I read Don Quixote, that I figured out it actually means exactly what you were meaning to mean.

The following 2 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
TrioLRowner (04-14-2022), WTFChuck (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 01:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Update .....

Nashvegas is correct about the painting. It is required. And yes, the dealer confirmed they ordered an incorrect part -- and two correct ones, they think.

The dealer believes they ordered the third part correctly, today. Once it comes in, they will send the pieces already removed, and the three new correct parts, to their outside paint shop for painting.

Seems three weeks is the earliest possible to hear back.

Once we are done with the driver (U.S. left) side, I will update you all with the part numbers used. Also, I will expect to have to do the passenger side in the future.

Bottom line is the dealer is not yet sufficiently experienced with fixing the A pillar properly to perform it smoothly.

Enjoy!

Old 04-18-2022, 03:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Update .....

Nashvegas is correct about the painting. It is required. And yes, the dealer confirmed they ordered an incorrect part -- and two correct ones, they think.

The dealer believes they ordered the third part correctly, today. Once it comes in, they will send the pieces already removed, and the three new correct parts, to their outside paint shop for painting.

Seems three weeks is the earliest possible to hear back.

Once we are done with the driver (U.S. left) side, I will update you all with the part numbers used. Also, I will expect to have to do the passenger side in the future.

Bottom line is the dealer is not yet sufficiently experienced with fixing the A pillar properly to perform it smoothly.

Enjoy!
Brilliant - I will also post back when mine is finally done with part #'s / the invoice / etc. My dealer also had "rather thin" knowledge on the topic, but a winning attitude. haha.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

A quick update on my situation. My dealer said that since they had only tried the "felt pad" fix once, the next fix was to try it again with more felt. If this still did not fix the problem, they said they would order the parts. There did seem to be some hesitation on the dealer's side (which seemed unusual since the dealer has historically been amazing). I wonder if perhaps LRNA is trying to shy away from the parts fix due to cost (parts, painting, labor, etc.)?

Anyway - the second "felt fix" definitely didn't work and actually made it much worse/unbearable. So, I'll be scheduling another appointment to request the parts fix.

RedAustinIX

Old 04-18-2022, 06:45 PM
Winching
Received 611 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
You may already know this, trio, and just be fooling around, but for most of my young adulthood I knew the word quixotic, but it wasn’t till much later, maybe when I read Don Quixote, that I figured out it actually means exactly what you were meaning to mean.
Still have a paperback copy of ‘Journey to Ixtlan’ from college days. Have plans to pick it up and read it on the beach this month.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

I would like to hear Insider's take on this issue. Heading into the 2023 model year why hasn't this been figured out yet? I watched a youtube reviewer recently who had a D90 like mine and had both of the issues that I have now which are the seat clicking noises and a-pillar crackling. His seat clicking was fixed under two different recalls, dealer found a stripped out screw while fixing that, it's good to know they can at least fix that one. His a-pillar crackling noise went away after the windshield was replaced. So it was fixed but indirectly by replacing the windshield which was presumably cracked. I don't know what that indicates, something perhaps isn't sealed properly?

Quick Reply: A pillar problem - what is the state of the art?