2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLUMB Land Rover Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023 | 02:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Wow!!! Thanks for posting that. I've been secretly lusting for a set, but haven't taken the leap for a mistress payment. Glad I didn't! I hope you get a refund/replacement or it will be a definite "Nope" for me in the future.

Old 11-27-2023 | 06:17 PM
Drifting

Please let us know what there response to this is because theres clearly a product defect. At 2k they better stand behind it.

Old 11-27-2023 | 07:56 PM
Pro Wrench

We've all seen carbon fiber yellowing (911 interior parts), clear coat adhesion failure (M3/M4 roofs), and delamination or other damage to the weave -- it appears the clear coat here isn't up to the job and failed. Is that right?

Either way I have no idea why they make these out of carbon fiber. If they were good black plastic, I'd be much more likely to buy them. I've never had a carbon fiber exterior part last more than a few years. Including factory parts (roof, hood, etc). Also the carbon fiber drives *up* the price point to the high level... so for me, carbon fiber exterior trim pieces are really a poor idea.

The following 4 users liked this post by nashvegas:
GrouseK9 (11-28-2023), MattF (11-28-2023), paule (11-27-2023), WAFOX (11-28-2023)
Old 11-27-2023 | 10:52 PM
Three Wheeling

I get "Carbon Fiber" for motorcycles when your trying to save as much weight as you can to go faster (guilty). But for the Defender? hmm.. I like many would've happily bought these if they were NON carbon fiber and sub $300 range, but niche products bring the niche prices. The photos from the OP look terrifying, especially knowing you need to use rivets to secure these to the truck. You can't just unbolt these, drilling is required. But I guess the riveted part is just the base plate that the boxes are mounted to. Still... It all seems like a headache to deal with. Hope you get it resolved.

The following 4 users liked this post by FareWarning:
GrouseK9 (11-28-2023), Mike_F (11-28-2023), nashvegas (12-02-2023), WAFOX (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023 | 02:00 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by nashvegas
We've all seen carbon fiber yellowing (911 interior parts), clear coat adhesion failure (M3/M4 roofs), and delamination or other damage to the weave -- it appears the clear coat here isn't up to the job and failed. Is that right?

Either way I have no idea why they make these out of carbon fiber. If they were good black plastic, I'd be much more likely to buy them. I've never had a carbon fiber exterior part last more than a few years. Including factory parts (roof, hood, etc). Also the carbon fiber drives *up* the price point to the high level... so for me, carbon fiber exterior trim pieces are really a poor idea.
Yup I agree, Audi RS4 engine bay covers also had the yellowing issue. However for the member here that is a different kinda failure, is it really carbon fiber ? Looks like the exterior carbon fiber look is what has delaminated / vanished. I'm not seeing the expected carbon fiber weave underneath that, is it a fake carbon fiber look ? Terrible. Plumb better step up and either offer a refund or replacement, this should not happen. This steers me towards just getting the Land Rover side box instead for some exterior storage

Last edited by WAFOX; 11-28-2023 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2023 | 07:32 AM
Drifting

I hope he reaches out to PLUMB because I would really like to know the answer. Most of the issues outlined in the thread are resin issues whether its cracking or yellowing. It does almost appear as if the carbon fiber finish is rubbing off or the resin is clouding which at 2k is insane. I wish someone would just make aluminum enclosures and sell them for 500 bucks….they would clean up.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023 | 08:33 AM
Pro Wrench

Simon at PowerfulUk had a video where he mentioned he was thinking about making a D-Pillar storage option. To each their own: I know a LOT of folks like the carbon fiber look. There's a lot of Defenders tricked out that their owners love, just in styles that aren't my jam. Carbon Fiber is on my nope list. Admire it on others' but I just don't even wash mine on any consistent basis. If it were just a plain material: some sort of plastic, metal, whatever, I'd be more likely to purchse it and it would likely be much less. Definitely keep us posted re: if Plumb says anything. Or whoever you sourced it from. I think it would be ironic if you picked up a version that was already a knockoff of a Chinese product! Good luck, I'm crossing my fingers for you that it gets worked out.

Old 11-28-2023 | 01:46 PM
|
Winching

not associated with plumb in anyway but my gut feeling there is a little more going on here.

as mentioned i have been around carbon fiber for a long time. the epoxy clear coat can yellow under heat in engine bays or start deteriorating under uv over time.

from the looks of the pictures some chemical used on it is causing the epoxy to react. could be a car wash you went too or some product they used . Or it’s defected you never know. but i have never seen something like that in short a period of time. Just my two cents

Old 12-01-2023 | 06:49 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by Ehloo
not associated with plumb in anyway but my gut feeling there is a little more going on here.

as mentioned i have been around carbon fiber for a long time. the epoxy clear coat can yellow under heat in engine bays or start deteriorating under uv over time.

from the looks of the pictures some chemical used on it is causing the epoxy to react. could be a car wash you went too or some product they used . Or it’s defected you never know. but i have never seen something like that in short a period of time. Just my two cents
I'm a car enthusiast, all my cars are taken care of by a detailer, my M3 carbon roof is perfect, as well as my x5m carbon parts. If I was using acid to wash the car (like you suggest) , the rest of it will be damaged too.

I did reach out to Plumb before uploading the images and gave them the option to rectify before going public.

Before having to remove the mounting plates (which have rivets and need to be drilled out), I've sent the boxes to the shop to have them painted black and see how it looks/holds. Will provide pictures when ready.

Last edited by DEFENDER2023; 12-01-2023 at 07:19 AM.
WAFOX (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023 | 09:11 AM
Drifting

While I think its sucks to see the level of quality over time and I definitely wont be getting them. I have seen them painted black and the PLUMB badging removed and they look really really good. They fit the car well, look stealth, and in my opinion match the aesthetic of the defender better.

WAFOX (12-01-2023)

Quick Reply: PLUMB Land Rover Accessories