Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerful UK accessories review

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 04:13 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerful UK accessories review

Hey All - just thought would provide a quick review of the side rails and rear step kit accessories I ordered from Powerful UK for my 110 (see links below).

Rear step: https://www.powerfuluk.com/products/...quer-plate-top
Side Rails: https://www.powerfuluk.com/products/...l&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Unfortunately I didn't have a good experience with the parts:
  • The side rails arrived damaged and missing parts. DHL was no help though Powerful UK's customer service was great and shipped out a new set of side rails this time packaged much better. The driver's side installed fine but the passenger side rail bolt holes didn't line up with the factory holes....one was off. Customer service told me basically I can file the hole larger but otherwise I'm stuck with it unless I want to pay to ship the parts back....and if I modify the part they won't accept the return. Unfortunately the bolt head is pretty small so if I widen the hole the won't be material left for the bolt to hold the rail unless I use a washer. Also the driver's side rail includes an extra hole in the rail (because the passenger side has 3 bolt holes vs. driver side only has 2). Not a big deal but know you'll see the paint color through the hole. Screws were all SS so I had to paint them black to match the rails.
  • The rear step was great for ~ 3 weeks and then the plastic cover fell off. Turns out they used a silicon adhesive that failed and the stud that secures the step was also rusting.
At first their customer service was not accepting a return without me paying for the shipping back to the UK but after a few heated emails they are picking up the parts and hopefully refunding me for the parts and shipping to the US. I'm really disappointed as the designs are a great idea, the pricing was reasonable (especially for Land Rover mods!) but the quality control and fitment are poor. Hopefully they'll fix the issues...if so I'll consider buying them again and updating this post!

View with the side rail installed

Close up view. Notice the 3rd hole without a bolt and the rear step (while the cover stayed attached its was awesome!)

Passenger side rail with the hole that didn't line up

Close up on the passenger side rail with misaligned hole

The broken rear step...lasted 3 weeks!

Old 06-13-2024, 04:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well...I just had the rear bumper cover, tow hook step (like you have in your pic), and covers for the side steps delivered today! I hope I have better luck than you did.....

Old 06-14-2024, 02:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 435 Likes on 203 Posts

Just use some black PVC Electrical Insulation Tape behind the visible holes.
Silicon will not stand long out in this application, some kind of High Tack kit will probably do.
Nice detail the rusted bolt , English heritage for free 😀

Old 06-14-2024, 09:57 AM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

My rails had the same problem re/ hole alignment. I emailed them about it and allegedly there are different tolerances dependent on vehicle. I took mine off because of poor fitment.

Old 06-14-2024, 11:20 AM
Mudding
Received 167 Likes on 98 Posts

My rear rails installed just fine. I believe @EchorecT7E is correct about there being different tolerances on different vehicles. Just another outcome of continuous improvement without being clear on what has changed.

Old 06-15-2024, 09:49 AM
Winching
Received 611 Likes on 291 Posts

From looking at the pictures provided, it seems like the alignment of the hole on the rail and the threaded insert are off by such a small tolerance that you could either ‘nudge’ the rail the tiny bit it needs to fit, or with a Dremel or similar just take off the millimeter or so of material to make up the difference without causing any problems. But only you can make that determination up close, I’m only going by the picture.