2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preferred GAP tool?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,242 Likes on 741 Posts

I just ordered one yesterday and those of you can be sure that I will post a LOT about what I do/find out/learn. Lucky8 just nailed how to turn on/off the auto-start. I'm sure that there are a lot of innovators/start ups who will not be pleased with the community approach! Knowledge has always been money, but my challenge has always been proximity to those selling the services. Sorry guys!

The following 4 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Defendit.. (05-20-2023), sarj (05-20-2023), TSS73 (05-26-2023), WMN (05-19-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 03:35 PM
Mudding
Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Soooo got that IID yet? How's it going? lol

Old 05-26-2023, 05:25 PM
Pro Wrench

Got it this week! Downloaded the Installer, loaded the app, sync'd everything up but haven't plugged it into the Defender yet so I haven't bricked it... I have a lot on the "chore list" this weekend, but as soon as I have a chance I'll try it out and report back. So far on my short list is to: add wifi; kill Auto Start/Stop; and, look for any ClearView settings in prep for a retrofit. I ordered my Defender with all the off-road options so I have those already (except the eDiff which they dropped on the MY switch that I'm still bitter about, but that's a post-warranty mod for me). I'm likely not going to do a lot of tweaking I'm just a fond proponent of "right to repair" and am planning on educating myself before serious need.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Echoplex (07-26-2023), lightning (05-27-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 05:37 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Got it this week! Downloaded the Installer, loaded the app, sync'd everything up but haven't plugged it into the Defender yet so I haven't bricked it... I have a lot on the "chore list" this weekend, but as soon as I have a chance I'll try it out and report back. So far on my short list is to: add wifi; kill Auto Start/Stop; and, look for any ClearView settings in prep for a retrofit. I ordered my Defender with all the off-road options so I have those already (except the eDiff which they dropped on the MY switch that I'm still bitter about, but that's a post-warranty mod for me). I'm likely not going to do a lot of tweaking I'm just a fond proponent of "right to repair" and am planning on educating myself before serious need.
If I could ask, when you have time. There are two more things I want to....

There is a thing called Approach Lock and Unlocking. Basically makes the car unlock when it senses the key near by and lock when the key moves away. I had it on my X5 and while its no big deal really, its a feature I found myself missing dearly. Second, 'they say' dynamic mode can be toggled on with the tool. I guess this question only applies if you have a P400 like I do. But would its THE functionality that would make me spend the money on this thing if true. Lastly is Clear Sight (which I know needs the hardware separately) but thats already on your list.

Much appreciated in advance. Good luck! I'm rooting for ya!

Old 05-30-2023, 08:27 AM
Pro Wrench

Ok, so this weekend I finally had a chance to play around with the GAP tool. First off: LOVE it. Definitely worth the $$. Ymmv. The ability to check faults, services, yada yada. And the access to the CCF. Here's the link to where I got mine from Lucky8 (shipped fast): Link and the documentation from the GAP company Link. Paul at the GAP is VERY responsive. I got the one VIN use only version. For 5x the cost, you can get an unlimited version - but not for me. The documentation was pretty good and the set up/sync was pretty flawless. You need the mobile app to connect to it. I HIGHLY recommend (especially if you have an MHEV) to put a battery charger on it while playing around with it. Here's mine:

I added the Defender 007 logo and immediately enabled the Auto Start/Stop memory. So far it seems to work, though the "Off light" isn't on. I'll report back if it doesn't stick. Also added wifi, though I don't think I'm a use case for it. I searched for ClearView (for a future retrofit) and couldn't find it. I'll keep digging. But I have to admit, there are HUNDREDS of CCF configs and many of them are a bit vague. It was kind of like using a chainsaw. The entire time, I had a distinct awareness that any carelessness could result in immediate and catastrophic trauma. So, I was on my highly-aware A game the entire time. Which sadly is a D- game for anyone who's a professional mechanic.

Here were some interesting settings that I didn't enable, change, or touch. I just looked at it. I like catching any snake (venomous or not) that I find on my property but I'm not stupid enough to mess with these settings!!
EUCD-011 Fuel Tank, Volume. Current: 50L. Could go to 66L. This could be useful if/when I get a Long Ranger.
EUCD-014 Headlights, Type. Current: Matrix LED AFS123/THB. No idea what that means, but the Matrix seemed interesting. Not sure if it is THAT matrix headlights.
EUCD-059 Parking Assistance. Current: Without Parking Assistance. Something to explore. May try to add this.
EUCD-099 Parking Assistance Camera. Current: Without Parking Assistance Camera. Likely used with above. If this activates a hardware upgrade, then I'm out.
EUCD-199 Night Vision. Current: Not Configured. Oooohhhh!!! That could be cool. Likely a different Brand/Model or needs HW. Would LOVE that.
EUCD-225 Advanced Chauffeur Function. Current: Advanced Chauffeur Function Not Fitted. I need one of these!! Likely something for the Jag line up.
MultiCAN-458 Sunset Clause. Current: Sunset Clause Disabled. This one seemed pretty ominous.
MultiCAN518 Armored Vehicle. Current: Standard. Oh yeah!! This could be cool. Likely another Jaguar option.
MultiCan- Max Vehicle Speed. Current: LIMIT_191_KPH. This could get some people stupid. I'm out, but it could be reset up to 286 or 322.
MultiCan-677 Mild HybridType. Current: MHEV System Not Implemented. As an owner of a Dynamic HSE, this one had me confused. Likely why the battery drains so damn easily!

Anyway, there are hundreds of others for every CanBus out there. Look forward to seeing how the awareness on these builds. Two things I'll keep digging around for: ClearView if needed for a future retrofit and I'd be interested if the cell booster could be enabled full time and not just when wirelessly charging.

NOTE: I did ping GAP and Paul responded that while the L663 says Beta, they send you all the L663 when it syncs. So, no need to "register" for a Beta. Just that it hasn't been explored as much as many of the other Makes/Models and, as always, you're on your own if you change anything.

@starbai - Yep, in there. I have no idea what they do, could do, yada yada or any other disclaimer re: what happens if they are changed.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 05-30-2023 at 08:34 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Echoplex (07-26-2023), Eitan (03-21-2024), GavinC (06-05-2023), JUKE179r (05-30-2023), mopadzi (05-31-2023), WMN (05-31-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-30-2023, 09:04 AM
Mudding

Thanks @GrouseK9 ! Super appreciative for the write up/feedback. The cost is still a bit of a tough pill to swallow for me. But if you or someone else eventually can confirm that Dynamic mode is something that can be enabled. Its the only shove I need to pull the trigger. I'll keep following the thread and hope that Lucky8 puts out some more vids on what they were and were not able to enable.

Of course I'm also a bit apprehensive on tweaking while in warranty. Which for me is 7/100k miles. Obviously if I screw up something major on my own its my fault. But if I were to enable Dynamic mode or something else that's working flawlessly and no problems, then take the vehicle in for something completely unrelated but they see a 'flash or edit' to the CCF and decide to void the entire warranty... I'm effed. I know in the US we have laws against this, but its not without headache to deal with if they really want to be a pain in the *** about it. (escalations to corporate and the like).

The following users liked this post:
NoGaBiker (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 01:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Yes, Dynamic mode can be enabled. @markjlr is one that may be doing it the longest. I've not heard of anything/anyone having it reset. Ping him w/ a pm for details. There are others who are in the "biz" as well who do it for a fee.

Old 05-30-2023, 05:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,405 Likes on 708 Posts

That's automatic parking? Supposed to be coming soon.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 05-30-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,135 Likes on 612 Posts

Yes, @starbai -- can confirm that it's relatively easy to activate dynamic mode with the Gap tool. I did it on myself on my 2020 P400 110 X.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:59 PM
Mudding
Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Can it disable the seatbelt chime?

Quick Reply: Preferred GAP tool?