Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Jack Points and Stands

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Muppetry
Maybe. In any case, the Quickjack lifts are wide platforms rather than rails, and are very stable. You can certainly open the doors and climb into the vehicle without any detectable motion.
They do look really convenient. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2022, 01:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Love that jack! I've seen the boys on Goonzquad use one a lot. I can see why it's so darned convenient. However, for as often as I need to rotate/change tires, I think I'll stick with my 30 year old off-road floor jack. It takes longer, but I can divert the funds to more Defender toys.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:09 AM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I prefer a single lifting solution rather than messing around with floor jacks and jack stands:

I have a Bendpak scissor lift that I have used on quite a few cars. It works well and can handle the Defender's weight. However, I am waiting on my 90 and then I can try it out and let you all know.

The downside of the Bendpak is that it sits on the garage floor. When not deployed, you line up the wheels on either side and park above it. The arms are adjustable and have rubber pucks and longer truck pucks that can be placed on the jack points. Not cheap but extremely useful for me over the years.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Just have to be sure you have enough garage ceiling clearance. Reminds me of a friend of mine that after college got a job as a manager at a Jiffy Lube.

He always had multiple destruction stories to share including when a technician punched a Winnebago through the roof of the building. Other incidents included dropping a GTI off a lift, manual shift cars rolling away, cars leaving with no oil, anti-freeze added to the windshield washer reservoir, and a car catching fire due to a shop rag left under the hood.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:37 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by PaulLR
Just have to be sure you have enough garage ceiling clearance. Reminds me of a friend of mine that after college got a job as a manager at a Jiffy Lube.

He always had multiple destruction stories to share including when a technician punched a Winnebago through the roof of the building. Other incidents included dropping a GTI off a lift, manual shift cars rolling away, cars leaving with no oil, anti-freeze added to the windshield washer reservoir, and a car catching fire due to a shop rag left under the hood.
Yeah caution is so important. I never had a big issue. Thankfully! My stupidity was usual offset by luck.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 08:40 AM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR

The garage in the photo above doesn't look like it has nearly enough height to lift a Defender.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:54 AM
Drifting

The garage in the photo above doesn't look like it has nearly enough height to lift a Defender.
We will see. I lifted a Eurovan in there but I shut the rolling door first.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (04-12-2024)
Old 01-05-2022, 08:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Muppetry / Allegedly:

As a unibody, integrated steel / aluminum design, there are no frame members between the front and rear of the vehicle designed to carry the suspended weight of the vehicle from a lift point load (or loads) -- what would normally be handled by the box beams in a pick up truck or an LR4. At the point where a such a beam would normally exist there are only much smaller longitudinal load carrying u- channels, designed to hold the bottom of the vehicle together fore to aft under towing and daily driving loads over time.

To carry the vertical loads of the engine, transmission, transfer case, rear hatch door, differentials and suspension, there exist only two very geometrically robust monocoque cavities formed (separately) fore and aft -- each centered over the front and rear suspensions (where the four lifting points are) and extending to and across the roof (also why the roof can carry its large load and the torsional rigidity of the body is a most critical design feature).

I expect a careful user in an unloaded vehicle can get away with what is shown the fore to aft lift picture -- but JLR's design cannot support nor warranty its use, generally.

The other caution is that their is nothing structural fore or aft of the monocoque cavities -- which end beneath the radiator in the front and the carry through bolt up point to the rear bumper assembly -- making off-road customization much more difficult and expensive than on a Jeep or Toyota.

Enjoy !!

The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
Can_Glu (04-12-2024), GrouseK9 (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 09:27 AM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Muppetry / Allegedly:

As a unibody, integrated steel / aluminum design, there are no frame members between the front and rear of the vehicle designed to carry the suspended weight of the vehicle from a lift point load (or loads) -- what would normally be handled by the box beams in a pick up truck or an LR4. At the point where a such a beam would normally exist there are only much smaller longitudinal load carrying u- channels, designed to hold the bottom of the vehicle together fore to aft under towing and daily driving loads over time.

To carry the vertical loads of the engine, transmission, transfer case, rear hatch door, differentials and suspension, there exist only two very geometrically robust monocoque cavities formed (separately) fore and aft -- each centered over the front and rear suspensions (where the four lifting points are) and extending to and across the roof (also why the roof can carry its large load and the torsional rigidity of the body is a most critical design feature).

I expect a careful user in an unloaded vehicle can get away with what is shown the fore to aft lift picture -- but JLR's design cannot support nor warranty its use, generally.

The other caution is that their is nothing structural fore or aft of the monocoque cavities -- which end beneath the radiator in the front and the carry through bolt up point to the rear bumper assembly -- making off-road customization much more difficult and expensive than on a Jeep or Toyota.

Enjoy !!
So how do tire shops, for example, lift them for tire changes/rotations? And why would they say that transverse hydraulic jacks may be used on a 4 post lift - how is that functionally different?

Old 01-05-2022, 09:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

The transverse lifts (used in most shops I think?) place 4 points loads within the monocoque structures fore and aft -- through the approved lift points.

JLR is trying to keep us away from hanging the entire weight of the vehicle from anything other than the four lift points.

Quick Reply: Question About Jack Points and Stands