2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about upgraded sound system. (Meridian Surround Sound)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 09:22 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

it makes a significant difference in sound as well as road noise. If entertain any hifi car audio upgrade sound deadening the doors and as much of the car is essential to better sound.

my car is going in next week for a full audio install. i saw some videos online on how to remove the door cards and figured i would do the deadening myself. Very simple job and i would take more care than anybody else.

i prob used way too much but ended up with two layers of deadening on the doors with a acoustic foam layer on top.

Land rover includes one 6x4 piece of deadened on the door. does do much.

one of my concerns on the new audio system was the road noise. i needed to cut that down for me to even the differences in the new audio system. it is noticeable quieter in the cabin. i only deadened the doors and trunk space. Audio shop will be doing the floors once they start pulling panels off

cost me 150 bucks in material and about a day.
i broke up the job into several days. a door a day. about 2 hours per door

Originally Posted by Jrunr619
Did this really make a big difference? What about with road noise? I look at the interior Defender doors
and see a lot of exposed metal, so I wonder how good the noise dampening from the factory really is…

Also, there are two Meridian systems the Defender. (400w vs 700w). How do I know which one is in which Defender? (I am picking up a 2021 110 X-Dynamic HSE on Sunday).

Old 07-29-2022, 09:25 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

the meridian 700 watt Surround has 14 speakers and a sub. i believe the 400 only has 10 speakers.

you lose the mid range in the front doors and center channel and possibly the rear trunk speakers

Originally Posted by Ehloo
it makes a significant difference in sound as well as road noise. If entertain any hifi car audio upgrade sound deadening the doors and as much of the car is essential to better sound.

my car is going in next week for a full audio install. i saw some videos online on how to remove the door cards and figured i would do the deadening myself. Very simple job and i would take more care than anybody else.

i prob used way too much but ended up with two layers of deadening on the doors with a acoustic foam layer on top.

one of my concerns on the new audio system was the road noise. i needed to cut that down for me to even the differences in the new audio system. it is noticeable quieter in the cabin. i only deadened the doors and trunk space. Audio shop will be doing the floors once they start pulling panels off

Old 07-29-2022, 11:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,166 Likes on 626 Posts

My dad has a MB with the Burmeister system. The top Meridian system in the Defender is nowhere near as good, just FYI.

I would say the high end 27 speaker (?) system in the Full Fat Range Rover or RRS Autobiography (or SC) with the $4500+ Meridian option... is about as good as the Burmeister (it's identifiable by having speakers in the headliner aft of the sun visors).

Old 07-29-2022, 12:28 PM
Mudding
Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo

awesome information. Thank you. Now I just have to find that video that tells me how to remove the panels…

Old 07-29-2022, 02:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrunr619
awesome information. Thank you. Now I just have to find that video that tells me how to remove the panels…
I have it bookmarked. Here you go:

I'll be referring to that video when I replace those cheap door speakers and add sound deadening