Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radard detector and dash cam hardwire install

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 03:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 193 Likes on 112 Posts

Here’s my update on the R7.

Went out and the fuzz was a plenty, but unfortunately the R7 was kaput.

It worked fine right/left and behind, but forward it was dead up until about 40 ft.

So I have put my R7 up for sale. I only used it when I traveled to British Columbia for ski trips and never really sped over 75, but Oregon is 65 and that’s a real drag.

Anyway, I’ll survive without one. Just need to be mindful and careful.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:07 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Here’s my update on the R7.

Went out and the fuzz was a plenty, but unfortunately the R7 was kaput.

It worked fine right/left and behind, but forward it was dead up until about 40 ft.

So I have put my R7 up for sale. I only used it when I traveled to British Columbia for ski trips and never really sped over 75, but Oregon is 65 and that’s a real drag.

Anyway, I’ll survive without one. Just need to be mindful and careful.
It should work fine mounted high in one of the clear sections without the blocking film. Is there a reason you didn't want to put it up there?

Old 09-16-2021, 06:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Muppetry
It should work fine mounted high in one of the clear sections without the blocking film. Is there a reason you didn't want to put it up there?
I do see that area but can’t figure out how to mount it there because there’s no room to anchors it. Any advice how to do that is welcome. I love my R7

Old 09-16-2021, 06:26 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
I do see that area but can’t figure out how to mount it there because there’s no room to anchors it. Any advice how to do that is welcome. I love my R7
I have a V1 mounted there on suction cups, but I guess it depends on the mounting hardware available for that unit. It seems to be very secure and working fine, other than blocking rear laser (not important) when the sun visor is in use.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Muppetry
I have a V1 mounted there on suction cups, but I guess it depends on the mounting hardware available for that unit. It seems to be very secure and working fine, other than blocking rear laser (not important) when the sun visor is in use.

Doh. Suction cups. I remember a set in the box. Let me try that. I’ll report back. Thank you.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, Muppetry.

I found a small suction cup mount in the original box. It works perfectly and the detector is working locally as it always has. Will have to try highway this weekend but I’m confident it’ll work fine.

Thank you!

The following users liked this post:
Muppetry (09-16-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 07:07 AM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Need wiring info. Did you wire to the fuse box behind the glove box? I'd rather get power from the mirror if possible.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:48 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you, followed the instructions here to add a mirror tap. V1 version1 powers on nicely, now to see if it works with the heated window etc!

Old 01-07-2022, 01:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 615 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by clubguy
Need wiring info. Did you wire to the fuse box behind the glove box? I'd rather get power from the mirror if possible.
I had no problem tapping into my old LR4 center dome light wiring for my V1 but there are far too many wires in the Defender mirror/camera area for my auto electronics skill level. So I took the easy way out. Used the socket in the center console, ran the V1 wire under the dash and up the left pillar. I had to take off the panel under the steering wheel and the grab handle at the far left side of the dash to run the wire. The V1 cord just reaches the area where the windshield coating is cut out.

Works great. And for anyone still using a first generation V1, get the new one. Nearly eliminates the false alarms from Honda blind spot monitoring and false laser warning from an oncoming Volvo or Infiniti. Ka range is far better too.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was gonna upgrade to a v2, unfortunately they aren't doing upgrades at the minute due to the chip shortage. Suppose I could sell the v1 v1 and then just buy the v2, extra hassle though :-)

Quick Reply: Radard detector and dash cam hardwire install