2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear View Camera/Dash Cam combos?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 03:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

It just showed up on my porch a little while ago. I already installed it and so far it is pretty impressive.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,503 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by UtahLandy
I installed the Blackvue Dash cam 2 channel like a few others here. Very good 4k video and high quality, unobtrusive hardware. I've been very happy with it.
@UtahLandy

Any info on the installation? Front and rear cam or just front? Tricky/easy? Did you tap into the hardware in the windshield or overhead console or run it to the fuse box in the engine bay?

So many questions

Looks like a fine product.

FitcamX looks really simple. I'd prefer to have a camera system I can use on future vehicles too.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:25 PM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
@UtahLandy

Any info on the installation? Front and rear cam or just front? Tricky/easy? Did you tap into the hardware in the windshield or overhead console or run it to the fuse box in the engine bay?

So many questions

Looks like a fine product.

FitcamX looks really simple. I'd prefer to have a camera system I can use on future vehicles too.
I installed the front and rear cameras using PowerfulUK's wiring harness and the install went very similar to Simon's LR factory unit install except the wire run for the rear camera was not long enough to run down the A Pillar, down along the bottom door jam so I just went from the A pillar above the head liner to the C Pillar and through the same conduit Simon used to the back door. It took about 3 hours for me after watching Simon's video a few times. If I want to swap this to a later vehicle I would leave the rear wiring harness in place, pull the power cable from the overhead console (quick and easy) and pull the two cameras. I would just order another hardwire kit for $15. I don't know anything about the Fitcam X but it sounds much easier to install, not that the Blackvue was hard to install, just time consuming figuring out how to disassemble some of the interior. Is the Fitcam 4K? I would say that is a must since I feel you really need that level of definition to read license plates in low light or less than optimal conditions. This along with Blackvue's Parking mode and its unobtrusive footprint were what swayed me to go that way.

Last edited by user 729788; 09-02-2022 at 11:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GavinC (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 11:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,503 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by UtahLandy
I installed the front and rear cameras using PowerfulUK's wiring harness and the install went very similar to Simon's LR factory unit install except the wire run for the rear camera was not long enough to run down the A Pillar, down along the bottom door jam so I just went from the A pillar above the head liner to the C Pillar and through the same conduit Simon used to the back door. It took about 3 hours for me after watching Simon's video a few times. If I want to swap this to a later vehicle I would leave the rear wiring harness in place, pull the power cable from the overhead console (quick and easy) and pull the two cameras. I would just order another hardwire kit for $15. I don't know anything about the Fitcam X but it sounds much easier to install, not that the Blackvue was hard to install, just time consuming figuring out how to disassemble some of the interior. Is the Fitcam 4K? I would say that is a must since I feel you really need that level of definition to read license plates in low light or less than optimal conditions. This along with Blackvue's Parking mode and its unobtrusive footprint were what swayed me to go that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpkeIp-tmLA&t=43s
Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

So just so I'm understanding correctly. The powerful UK loom to tap into the overhead console means not needing the fuse taps from BlackVue?

Last edited by GavinC; 09-02-2022 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 05:49 AM
Mudding
Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

I used the loom from PowerfulUK and it worked great no fuse tap needed. The length of the cable to the back camera was too short but I found a company on line that built a 5 foot extension which was perfect. BlackVue sells longer cables but after the work to run it there was no way I was doing it all over again

Old 09-03-2022, 10:29 AM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

So just so I'm understanding correctly. The powerful UK loom to tap into the overhead console means not needing the fuse taps from BlackVue?
Correct

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (09-03-2022)