Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofit Activity Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 08:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 402 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Retrofit Activity Key

After the great anticipation of the Defender, many, many months in the making. It gets here. I really only get to drive it twice, once back up the mountain and once to the airport. Then, I manage to have an incident skiing, resulting in two broken ribs. Now that feels so good and it will make my upcoming job in Namibia a true pleasure, 36.5 hours in airplanes then plush comfortable off-road vehicles and tromping about the mines. Enough of my whining, I have had to stay in an opioid induced stupor for a couple of days to take the edge off of it and finally I am through with that and just feel great.

Now one of the items I had to forgo on the Defender X order was the activity key. I did manage to pick up a couple of them, for not too terribly much money. One is the usual tough plastic band and the newer model, looking like a smartwatch. I took them with me while the vehicle was awaiting the magic cable so they could figure out which one would do the trick with the 2022 X model. Ultimately, the service dude did not want to mess too much with the system, afraid of gumming up something else and bricking the car exploring the options. He said JLR was not of any help, as they have more or less taken that option and erased it from the collective memory of the service gurus, it being un-obtainium for the time being.

Has anybody retrofitted this feature? If so what was involved? If you did it at the dealer, perhaps you can share the contact, provided they too did not get the brain wipe.

​​​​​​​

Old 03-13-2022, 08:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Score!!! I have not, but I've given up looking for one. You now inspire me to start looking again. Good luck in getting it sync'd.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:22 PM
Rock Crawling

In my incessant, now forced browsing of the web, I have come across more secrets revealed about the Activity Key. Apparently, the new one needs to be 315mhz (mine is) European spec is a different frequency 4 something or other. The older one works in conjunction with your key fob, which must be in your car and it activates it when it (the key) is in its proximity distance. The new watch type one is essentially a key, just smaller, with a watch face. It does all the key functions. So it would appear that the dealer simply needs to go through the activate a new key function with the car, or so says the Powerful UK guys. Too bad, my UK layover is only 8 hours and it is at Heathrow, if it was at Gatwick it is easy to get a train to mess about for a few hours. Then I would drop by for a chat with them.

Lets see if that works, I have to go down on Friday for the new windscreen, mine only making 75 miles before it perished. See if they can try that activation sequence. Anybody feel free to pipe up if they have actually done it. The older key will likely be surplus to my needs, it appears unused.

If your searching, look at the line below the serial number, you will notice 315MHZ imbedded there in the part number.

Last edited by Dogpilot; 03-13-2022 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 09:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

I ordered my 110 X-Dynamic SE last March, and when the truck came in at the end of June there was no Activity Key — on back order. I got a card in the mail last week from JLR saying they are now available and to contact my dealer of choice (there are 4 in Atlanta, didn’t matter which) and set an appt.to get it programmed. Going in on Wednesday for that.

So even though I ordered the AC with the truck, this is effectively a retrofit, as you call it. JLR seems to think it is trivial for any dealer to do this job in under an hour. Not sure why the dealer you’re using is reluctant on this.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:57 AM
Pro Wrench

Awesome news, @NoGaBiker ! Did it "officially" make your order? Mine was mysteriously dropped so I doubt I will get an e-mail. I may call the dealer to pick one up though.

On second thought I may put it off for another year until the warranty is up. Don't want to roll in with my Defender for a little longer. I "may" have made some adjustments to the original spec...

Old 03-14-2022, 09:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Awesome news, @NoGaBiker ! Did it "officially" make your order? Mine was mysteriously dropped so I doubt I will get an e-mail. I may call the dealer to pick one up though.

On second thought I may put it off for another year until the warranty is up. Don't want to roll in with my Defender for a little longer. I "may" have made some adjustments to the original spec...
Yes, mine was listed on the Monroney sticker. The dealer gave me an official equipment missing and owed receipt for not getting it.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 03:27 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

My activity key made it with my defender last fall. Its the only thing I use. I love it.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 03:49 PM
Pro Wrench

@Dogpilot - Sorry about those ribs! Sucks every time you breath. I've been there, so you have my sympathy. I used rum more than opiods, same result at the end, though. If you can see the keyboard clearly - can you tell me which of those #'s is the Part#? I'm having trouble trying to find it and I'm cold stone sober. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2022, 03:58 PM
Rock Crawling

I would say one of the really bad parts with the ribs is laughing. My friend sent me a humorous list of things to do if you plan to become a super villain. I was laughing so hard I was crying. So I have to stick to sober boring or depressing subjects for a while, like the regional geology book I am reading now. Humor hurts.

Lets see, PN 281AC4E3315MHZ4C

Now I will know for sure this Friday if this one will work. Have to go to the dealer and walk them through the process.

I have always tie-wrapped a spare key to a wire bundle. This just seems to be a whole lot better. Since putting one of the modern fobs someplace is both economically and logically not feasible.

Old 03-14-2022, 04:02 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks, @Dogpilot . The Part # is (previously LR164064) now LR147248.