Sponsored by:

Reversing At Night + Touchscreen Brightness

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 10:16 AM
Drifting
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Reversing At Night + Touchscreen Brightness

Hi All, new member here.

Been lurking here a while and finding some great info as I worked up to buying my Pangea Green MY21 Defender P400 X (cold climate pack, towing pack, orange recovery eyes, all black interior, smoked dark oak veneer) that I received just last week. Ordered in early Feb. It was a P400 base that the dealer already had ordered for themselves, but they were able to tweak it to my spec. Super happy so far, no regrets other than perhaps going with 19" wheels and the limited tyre choice. (I simply like the gloss black look). I wish I had researched that a little better and in retrospect I should have gone with one of the grey 20" sets. Never mind... Weirdly enough my winter package rims will be 20"s with slightly skinnier rubber!

So I have 2 questions;

1) Driving home after dark for 1st time last night I reverse parked into my (admittedly quite dark) driveway and in the reverse camera view could not see very much at all and I just had to "use the force". I hear that the reverse lights aren't exactly bright (and I will check later that they are actually working). Just wondered if anyone else has the same concern. Side note, I see that Powerful UK actually installed a whole extra reverse light, and there's a video for it.

2) The touch screen at night is really dim (in both dark and light styles). Daytime is fine. I tried brightening using the onscreen slider but it changed nothing - in either direction. Probably I have engaged some other setting somewhere that disables brightness adjustment? Can anyone "shed any light"?

Cheers All. Here's a pic of the new machine. Pls don't kill me for the excessively wide roof bars, they're extra wide because I sometimes carry a fat fishing kayak along with a fat SUP or roof box plus I sometimes load from the side using straps across the protrusions as a cradle. These are Thule Wingbar Evos and I used the Thule.sa parts list to cobble together this assembly. North America Thule sites don't as yet have a Defender fitment it seems.

The following users liked this post:
Elektrapops (02-24-2023)
Old 06-05-2021, 10:40 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I too noticed the light were not very bright when in reverse. I've order and installed the reverse light kit from PowerFulUK and very happy with it. It is a pretty quick and easy installation (the only revision is to cut the screws a little shorter so they don't scratch the paint) and could easily be removed with out showing any modifications. https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...grade-kit.html
I also bought the uprated rear area lights and the overhead LED light, what a difference that makes, highly recommend it.
https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...oof-light.html
https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...2pc-white.html
Both are very easy to install.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPper
Hi All, new member here.

Been lurking here a while and finding some great info as I worked up to buying my Pangea Green MY21 Defender P400 X (cold climate pack, towing pack, orange recovery eyes, all black interior, smoked dark oak veneer) that I received just last week. Ordered in early Feb. It was a P400 base that the dealer already had ordered for themselves, but they were able to tweak it to my spec. Super happy so far, no regrets other than perhaps going with 19" wheels and the limited tyre choice. (I simply like the gloss black look). I wish I had researched that a little better and in retrospect I should have gone with one of the grey 20" sets. Never mind... Weirdly enough my winter package rims will be 20"s with slightly skinnier rubber!

So I have 2 questions;

1) Driving home after dark for 1st time last night I reverse parked into my (admittedly quite dark) driveway and in the reverse camera view could not see very much at all and I just had to "use the force". I hear that the reverse lights aren't exactly bright (and I will check later that they are actually working). Just wondered if anyone else has the same concern. Side note, I see that Powerful UK actually installed a whole extra reverse light, and there's a video for it.

2) The touch screen at night is really dim (in both dark and light styles). Daytime is fine. I tried brightening using the onscreen slider but it changed nothing - in either direction. Probably I have engaged some other setting somewhere that disables brightness adjustment? Can anyone "shed any light"?

Cheers All. Here's a pic of the new machine. Pls don't kill me for the excessively wide roof bars, they're extra wide because I sometimes carry a fat fishing kayak along with a fat SUP or roof box plus I sometimes load from the side using straps across the protrusions as a cradle. These are Thule Wingbar Evos and I used the Thule.sa parts list to cobble together this assembly. North America Thule sites don't as yet have a Defender fitment it seems.

sorry i don’t have any insights on the reverse lights or the touchscreen brightness as i am still waiting for mine to come. But i have a question regarding your Thule set up. What size/length of the wingbar evo do you have? Are they the 127 (50mm) or the longer one?

thanks!

Old 06-06-2021, 12:58 PM
Drifting

Thank you Charlypm, I'll take a look at those options.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sacharama
sorry i don’t have any insights on the reverse lights or the touchscreen brightness as i am still waiting for mine to come. But i have a question regarding your Thule set up. What size/length of the wingbar evo do you have? Are they the 127 (50mm) or the longer one?

thanks!
Hi Sacharama, those are the 150 (60") width. Note: If anyone is considering using this width of Wingbar Evo, the slots underneath will need to be lengthened or they won't fit onto the podiums on the Defender tracks. The front bar was +/- 6-7cm had to get sawn out and the rear bar (because the tracks are converge towards the rear of the vehicle) even more. Measure twice cut once, and use at your own risk.