2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof rack by Sarek

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 08:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts

I just don't see the point of the rack going so far forward as it is now. There are no crossbars for the leading 18" or so. You can't put anything there anyway. I guess it is a provision for mounting LED lights or limb risers and such but won't serve any purpose for the vast majority of users. I get that it sort of 'looks right' in terms of covering the whole roof in a metal exoskeleton but as much as I like this rack, there is no way I am going to start hacking up my A-pillars. I've had too many issues.

The following users liked this post:
WTFChuck (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 10:01 AM
Winching
Received 622 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
I just don't see the point of the rack going so far forward as it is now. There are no crossbars for the leading 18" or so. You can't put anything there anyway. I guess it is a provision for mounting LED lights or limb risers and such but won't serve any purpose for the vast majority of users. I get that it sort of 'looks right' in terms of covering the whole roof in a metal exoskeleton but as much as I like this rack, there is no way I am going to start hacking up my A-pillars. I've had too many issues.
CombatNinja: I think I might agree with your vision. A rack that covers maybe 2/3 of the rear roof area would be appealing to me, also. If Sarek gets into production, and finds a market desire for two versions, a full and a partial, this could work for me. Is this what you have in mind?

Old 06-18-2022, 10:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts

Pretty much. Just tweak the bends a little so it looks more 'finished'. While I'm being picky, maybe some dedicated 'grab bars' also on that front edge too so it serves to aid standing in the driver's door and getting items off the front of the rack as well as ingress/egress into lifted trucks.

The following users liked this post:
WTFChuck (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 11:27 AM
Winching
Received 622 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
Pretty much. Just tweak the bends a little so it looks more 'finished'. While I'm being picky, maybe some dedicated 'grab bars' also on that front edge too so it serves to aid standing in the driver's door and getting items off the front of the rack as well as ingress/egress into lifted trucks.
Exactly. Have the front, leading edge resemble the rear section of the rack. Rounded, tapered to match. The grab handles would be a great addition.

Old 06-18-2022, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 634 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Paradigm
In regards to the A-Pillar input, I can see the hesitation to "mucking about" with it.

On the 110, the rack would be considerably larger, I would think if there was 3 rack mounting points on the factory rails, and then a "no-drill" foot at the front would be sufficient.

My Toyota racks all had this, essentially a pressure foot, with rubber contact point that transfered weight to the roof, because an additional bolting down was not necessary, but a weight distribution was.

Changing the front foot from a bolt, to a foot would be ideal for me if it were possible. I love everything else about it. I
There is no drilling. There is already a hole on each side at the top of the a pillar. U just have to put a expanding riv-nut in the existing holes. I used a hot knife to clearance the plastic base a bit so that the bracket fits. It was so cool that a hole was aready there.

The following 2 users liked this post by sarek:
GrouseK9 (06-18-2022), nashvegas (06-19-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 08:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh, that certainly makes it a lot less terrifying. I like it

Old 06-19-2022, 07:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I love it! I hear what people are saying about the full roof coverage, but I think it totally works on the 90, if you made both a full and 2/3s, I'd wager the full would be favored by a wide margin.

But, when you make one for the 110 make it 2/3s!! If it works with the Lucky 8 rear ladder, I'll definitely buy one.

All the current roof racks and bars are too tall for our area (New Orleans) most parking garage clearance is 6' 6," so even with nothing on top, clearance is tight even when locked in entry mode. First time trying to enter a garage I didn't lower the ride height and nicked the shark fin on the entry height test bar. I cancelled my order for the OEM rack the next day. We haven't found a low-profile, rack/crossbar solution, so when we go surfing our boards and gear ride inside and the wife sits behind me.

Old 06-26-2022, 05:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 267 Likes on 167 Posts

I’d be very interested in a version for the 110 that doesn’t have the side bars and doesn’t go all the way forward like that. The low profile and quality is great, but don’t really want all that metal on the sides or front. For the front, would prefer a sloped piece that can fit a full width fairing to minimize noise. Sort of a toned down version.