2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension : front down/rear up

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 03:24 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pushed the rear height adjust button and the issue is still. Automatically, manually, whatever I did, the issue is still. My big headache.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 262 Likes on 138 Posts

This weekend I had my defender in off-road height, and I left it there to go into the house. I never came out until the morning and found the front in access mode and the back in offroad height.

The following users liked this post:
FzyPChz (02-18-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 09:44 AM
Mudding
Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts

I noticed the same thing on my P300. Front down after a day and rear normal. Glad I'm not the only one but still strange. I dont like taxing the compressor every time starting the truck. I was going to check for leaks but I noticed it in mine the first week. I have many rovers (6) with 4 of them on air suspension. Removed the EAS from my P38 range rover many years ago. I've changed out height sensors and air bags on my Lr3 a couple of times. The newer suspension is more robust. I like the fact that the air springs and shocks are separate on the new defender, at least in the rear.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:36 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Happens to my 2020 P400, too.

When I park my Defender it’s on Normal Height (Auto Access Height is disabled). When I come out the next morning, the front is always down to Access Height but the rear is still in Normal Height. When I start the vehicle, the front inflates back to Normal Height. It’s really annoying. I asked the dealership about it and they say if the car isn’t giving me any check engine or warnings then it’s fine and “normal”. They insist that if there was a leak or an issue, the vehicle would notify me. My concern is, if it’s normal, why doesn’t it happen to everyone.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FzyPChz

When I park my Defender it’s on Normal Height (Auto Access Height is disabled). When I come out the next morning, the front is always down to Access Height but the rear is still in Normal Height. When I start the vehicle, the front inflates back to Normal Height. It’s really annoying. I asked the dealership about it and they say if the car isn’t giving me any check engine or warnings then it’s fine and “normal”. They insist that if there was a leak or an issue, the vehicle would notify me. My concern is, if it’s normal, why doesn’t it happen to everyone.
Just spitballing here, was it cold the evening you notice I’d “falling”? Did you drive much before parking?

One would need to instrument the truck, but I’m guessing that in operation, after an hour or so, the front suspension will be hotter than the rear due to engine heat. As the vehicle/air bags cool, they will lose pressure, and drop. Just a thought.

have folks in warmer climes seen this behavior as well?

Old 02-17-2021, 01:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by carlmuck
Just spitballing here, was it cold the evening you notice I’d “falling”? Did you drive much before parking?

One would need to instrument the truck, but I’m guessing that in operation, after an hour or so, the front suspension will be hotter than the rear due to engine heat. As the vehicle/air bags cool, they will lose pressure, and drop. Just a thought.

have folks in warmer climes seen this behavior as well?
I live in Northern California and it doesn’t get that cold at night. My vehicle sits in the driveway 2 to 4 days without moving, but it’s just the front that always sags. It’s weird. It’s my first Land Rover and I’ve never had a vehicle with EAS before so I have no idea if this is normal behavior or not.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:51 PM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here!
Front only sags to what appears to be access height over night.
Yesterday, raised it all the way up and pulled in the the garage.
Came out this morning, front was dropped and rear was still in full raise off road mode, really annoying and looked ridiculous to the point where my wife said "what's wrong with your new truck"...
The dealer is 1.5 hours away.
This is my 2nd 2020 Defender, had a stripped down S and this never happened prior to or after installing lift rods, sat perfect.
Now, if I put it on access mode, everything is even and low in the morning, front and rear.
I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE IS NOT A FIX FOR THIS AND WILL NOT ACCEPT WHAT THE DEALER TELLS ME IF THEY DISMISS ME AND SAY ITS NORMAL. $90K TRUCK SHOULD NOT DROP IT LIKE ITS HOT JUST IN THE FRONT OVER THE COURSE OF 4-8 HOURS.

HAS ANYONE GOTTEN ANY HELP OR A FIX FOR THIS IN ANY WAY?
THANKS!

Old 02-19-2021, 08:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robert Allen
Same here!
Front only sags to what appears to be access height over night.
Yesterday, raised it all the way up and pulled in the the garage.
Came out this morning, front was dropped and rear was still in full raise off road mode, really annoying and looked ridiculous to the point where my wife said "what's wrong with your new truck"...
The dealer is 1.5 hours away.
This is my 2nd 2020 Defender, had a stripped down S and this never happened prior to or after installing lift rods, sat perfect.
Now, if I put it on access mode, everything is even and low in the morning, front and rear.
I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE IS NOT A FIX FOR THIS AND WILL NOT ACCEPT WHAT THE DEALER TELLS ME IF THEY DISMISS ME AND SAY ITS NORMAL. $90K TRUCK SHOULD NOT DROP IT LIKE ITS HOT JUST IN THE FRONT OVER THE COURSE OF 4-8 HOURS.

HAS ANYONE GOTTEN ANY HELP OR A FIX FOR THIS IN ANY WAY?
THANKS!
I belong to a FB Defender group and Mike Warman, a JLR Level 4 Technician Team Lead (he’s in the East Coast) confirmed that it is not normal. He says he’s actually dealing with a Defender in their service dept right now with the same issue. He says he’s isolated the issue to a mechanical fault. There are no external leaks present but he suspects a leaking air spring on the front end. He added that parts are hard to come by right now.

TrioLRowner (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 06:02 AM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! This is at least good to hear that someone, anyone from JLR can see it and understand that there is an issue.
I’ll follow up with the dealer near Philly with this thread and at least get the ball rolling!
thanks again!
Rob

TrioLRowner (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 10:45 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robert Allen
Thanks! This is at least good to hear that someone, anyone from JLR can see it and understand that there is an issue.
I’ll follow up with the dealer near Philly with this thread and at least get the ball rolling!
thanks again!
Rob
More info: “Have the service dept specifically check the front valve block assembly which controls flow to/from the front air springs. The assumption is that there would be a leak somewhere in the normally closed valve/axle cross link air path between LHS and RHS front air springs, as both front springs are deflating when parked.”

I, too, will be dropping my Defender off for service.

GrouseK9 (08-15-2021)

Quick Reply: suspension : front down/rear up