Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUV Battle Offroad Video - Defender vs old and new Landcruiser and more

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 07:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Is that so? I thought it actually permanently locked it in 4Lo/Rock. But honestly I haven’t paid attention when using it — every time I look at the icon it’s locked, so I just assumed it was permanently locked in that mode.
I believe you are substantially correct regarding the rear being locked in rock crawl mode (and at a start from full stop when towing). I have learned the computer will hector you with strong words on the dash to please switch to AUTO, if you remain in rock crawl mode and the sensors do not, over a period of time, agree full lock is necessary.

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 08:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

I'm not an EV fan at all although that f***ing Taycan Turbo S is the most fun I've ever driven and I'm reluctantly ready to admit I'm considering an electric conversion of a IIa soon for a beach cruiser.

But... does anyone else feel like this onslaught of Rivians, Hummers, Bollingers, Cybercucks, EQG's, and other 700 lb-ft torque motor-at-each-wheel trucks is about to make these off-road tussles a whole lot more interesting?

Chief65 (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 08:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I absolutely agree that they will perform phenomenally and will be epic. The video reviews will be awesome. The problem is, when I go 'wheeling I typically also camp. Or I'm in some obscure "lodge" which is a glorified marketing ploy which means anything from a rented trailer to something last updated when Gilligan's Island was running. The point is - at best things are "rustic". I have this large amount of skepticism that the correct charging port will be within hours of wherever I stay. So while they will perform the first time wonderfully, how would I possibly recharge it? It's like seeing a video of a G700 and wondering, where would I possibly park that thing? Ok, I'm jesting. If I actually had one I'd likely have my own hanger - but I hope you get the point.

I really don't want to start the Combustible vs. EV religious wars. They are sa-weeet! I just don't think they will match my usage for a while.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
Chief65 (09-10-2021), _Allegedly (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 08:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

I think the sensor-provided, independent control of each wheel will be simpler than the current brake control used in traction control systems.

If the mfgs. do not do the electronics properly, the new trucks might throw alot more dirt, but without tracks (instead of tires) I don't see much tangible improvement in traction as a result of the greater torque.

I do not suspect anyone will soon be building charging stations in the desert or deep in the woods.

I do see less useful payload -- as it will be used to carry the batteries and the reinforced chassis to support those batteries in the physical attitudes of the chassis encountered off-road.

I do think there will be a market for electric working trucks in the inner city -- to avoid the coming tax penalties which continue to expand. The off-road capability will be useful to not get stuck in the mud at the worksite.

My three cents...

Enjoy!

The following 3 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
Chief65 (09-10-2021), GrouseK9 (09-10-2021), _Allegedly (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 09:21 AM
Pro Wrench

Oh yeah, it's like a bunch of bald guys fighting over a comb. All that ability that just can't take you where you really want to go.

My Taycan friend says he gets 140 miles if he lays off the pedal and cuts back on the AC... in Florida. He's a big dude and he already sweats and wheezes like he's in perpetual cardiac arrest.

Great for the YouTubes.

The following 3 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
Chief65 (09-10-2021), GrouseK9 (09-10-2021), TrioLRowner (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 10:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Long ago, before the Model S had been released and begun to make EVs a practical reality, I dreamt of a day when my “Jeep” would have 4 small electric motors, eliminating all the transmission and differential gearing and t-cases and driveshafts and U-joints that are always breaking as you push the limits of the trucks capabilities. How elegant a solution to put individual, seamlessly-variable-torque power sources right out at the wheels! And, depending on how you mount them, center clearance of the vehicle is much higher with no pumpkins, like portal axles. Replace the gas tank with a battery pack of the same size, armor the batteries and the cable runs, which isn’t trivial but should be easier and lighter than protecting the fuel tank, oil pan, t-case, both diffs, driveshafts, evaporator canister, and transmission of a Jeep now.

I think it has splendid possibilities. And if battery power density gets down to where a 5-gallon Jerry-can sized battery gives as much additional range as 5 gallons of gas, then you are in the exact same place with spare fuel as we are right now with gas.

I’d be happy with such an arrangement for my off-roader. Plus, the added benefit of a (relatively) quiet experience out in the desert is a nice adder.

That said, I’ll surrender my gas sportscars when they pry my cold, dead fingers from the wheel, as the saying goes. EVs can be 100x better than my current GT4 and I won’t care.

TrioLRowner (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 12:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

The EV off-road SUV's are coming. We can't stop it unless Giant Meteor has a say. Remember though, we are still in the beginning stages of all this tech and engineering. it will take decades to get the infrastructure in place to charge all the EV's that are coming and also to really perfect the range and efficiency. I mean, the new 60v lawn mowers are awesome. So are the saws, trimmers, drills, etc. But they are for small jobs, not for a days work. That will change though as the technology changes. I think having a super quiet off-roader is an awesome idea. Imagine cruising through the woods or down forest trails with no noise other than the tires rolling over the dirt. Pretty cool stuff.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:46 PM
Pro Wrench

Everything that @NoGaBiker says and no snorkel necessary.

Call this a moment of weakness but I just put a deposit on a Rivian R1S. My 110 should be here in about 2 months and I expect to love it but who the hell knows where my mind (or this insane world) will be in the 12 to 18 months it's sure to take to get the Rivian. Ideally, the wife will dump her F-Pace for it.

​​​​​​They seem to have all the backing they need, reviews are coming in solid, and this charging network in trails and parks sounds like it will make up for that nasty looking front end.

The 21's have got to go and the REMOVABLE panaramic roof will be added.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 09-10-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I believe you are substantially correct regarding the rear being locked in rock crawl mode (and at a start from full stop when towing). I have learned the computer will hector you with strong words on the dash to please switch to AUTO, if you remain in rock crawl mode and the sensors do not, over a period of time, agree full lock is necessary.
Thanks for the verification. I’ve never had the message urging me to change to AUTO. But I’m glad it’s there if locked diffs are not needed and you were to forget.

Although since Rock Crawl and 4Lo are synonymous, I don’t think you could actually forget.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:54 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Although they fully lock a lot more often than in any other terrain response mode - as they should - both center and (optional) rear electronic lockers will partially or completely unlock in Rock Crawl as well, depending on speed, driving conditions, pitch, steering input, gear, etc. Drive it around the block in Rock Crawl and see. On a flat surface and when going downhill at 10+ mph for example, both diffs will eventually unlock. As long as it gets the job done it doesn't really matter what happens under the hood, but I still find it fascinating to literally watch the amount of engineering that must have gone into this system.

Quick Reply: SUV Battle Offroad Video - Defender vs old and new Landcruiser and more