Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrain Response 2 and e Diffs - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 09:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Terrain Response 2 and e Diffs - Impressions

We spent a long weekend in the mountains in our new P300 110S Defender (18 inch, off-road tires, off road pack with e diffs rear and center, tow pack) driving on pavement and mid-difficulty, dry and wet off-road trails with many other Land Rovers (RR Classics, 90s era Defenders, Discovery 1 to 4s, Series vehicles, etc.). The driving was in LO range (mostly) and we covered the scope of all programs, except for SAND. I was aired down to between 25 and 30 PSI on the GY AT Adventure LR tires.)

I am used to Terrain Response 1 and HDC on my 2011 LR4. TR 1 is good. TR 2 and ATPC (w/HDC) combined with the electronic clutched diffs and HOLD is in a different, much better universe.

I did NOT need to resort to momentum at all. It was not necessary, even on muddy, grassy, logged covered, damp 20+ degree climbs. We navigated up and downhill. During the rock climbs with HDC and ATPC, the only reversing for a new line came from my failure to fully visualize the necessary ground clearance (just barely -- there was no damage at all to the underside, as I was always going as slow as possible). I quickly found the HOLD feature to be a really useful one -- I did not expect that.

The older vehicles were forced more than once to drive through situations with excess power, momentum and wheel spin (and bouncy bouncy...) Not necessary with the new Defender.

After several days of me selecting a suitable mode (one which made the computer happy), I twice received the suggestion by the computer to try AUTO --- so, I did so.

Wow! I have to admit it drove better in AUTO than in manual mode. I suspect it was better because it was actually switching modes ( as if I were doing it equivalently, manually) during the middle of an obstacle -- something a human cannot effectively do.

I hope someone reading this note can answer two questions: 1) why does AUTO require DSC to stay engaged and how does the logic adjust its response when the two are together? (I am used to TR 1 where DSC is manually and necessarily turned off in some situations to maintain forward progress) and 2) what detailed advice is documented and available to graduate into effectively using Configurable Terrain Response 2?

The manual is quite clear not to exceed the capabilities of the vehicle -- which as compared to some others on the trip come down to articulated ground clearance and the needs of the independent suspension wish bones to be considered in the clearing of all obstacles. It did not come down to traction, ever.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 10-05-2020 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo
The following 4 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
BOHICA (10-09-2020), DonMitsu (10-05-2020), Tucker Woods (10-12-2020), vtrfung (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 09:25 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great feedback/review. Do you mind commenting on location where this took place? sounds like a great test of the new Defender's capabilities. Also, was the car already through it's standard "break in" period?

Old 10-05-2020, 09:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes, it is just through the break-in period, but in an abundance of caution, I did not ever: exceed 3200 rpms, press hard or deep on the throttle, manually select the gear or shift to S, or go more than 3 mph in an obstacle off-road -- which is the rpm load I noted on the road in gentle road driving. No use of momentum, no sprinting, no spinning at all. No forcing through. I really just wanted to see what is technically possible and give the e logic time and space to work -- mostly from either slow roll or a full stop. I was not in a rush.

The exercise was in the Appalachia / Smoky Mountains. No high altitude work. The course was very tight, size -wise, which helped force me to stay SLOW.

As well, the vehicle was 100% stock -- and I was VERY hesitant to put at risk the sills and the floor tray. I am going to order some Lucky8 Rock sliders this week and some additional floor armor -- need to figure out from whom. The front bumper will be what it is until I see available a suitable metal front bumper / bar and winch holder.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 10-05-2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by TrioLRowner:
Cobber (10-05-2020), vtrfung (10-06-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:40 AM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TrioL - your build sounds like mine. P300 with 18" steel wheels, Offroad/Advanced Offroad, I got the air compressor option...I've had it on order since November of 2019 and I'm told it's "on the boat" right now. I plan on taking the vehicle on mild-midrange offroad locations (I've got a Jeep that I don't care about beating up for anything severe) so it's good to hear about the capabilities. I have only driven the P400 so my only real concern is about the P300 engine and power (or lack of power).

My plan is to own it for a few years and allow the aftermarket to mature and then use it for overland trips, which would be no longer than one week at a time. I think for my purposes this vehicle will work just fine - IF mine ever shows up!

Old 10-06-2020, 11:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

BonesBrigade:

My P300 has the satin gray, 18", non-steel wheels -- which really were very pretty when the vehicle showed up !! But, now they are dinged a bit on each wheel !! No pain, no fun -- the vehicle is for off-roading, and hauling and farm work -- mud will cover it for its lifetime. So, no harm done.

I hope yours arrives soon.......

The following users liked this post:
Cobber (10-08-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 08:33 PM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked mine up today! Almost 11 months after I ordered. I drove about 100 miles and the engine is terrific for a vehicle this size.

The following users liked this post:
Tucker Woods (10-12-2020)