Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove P300 - Now I need to save $

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 05:50 PM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
It would have been nice if it was less luxury and more utilitarian and priced $20k less. From a price perspective I dont think its competing with the new bronco, or the wrangler. The defender is significantly more expensive. From that perspective it fits into the prior discovery line although I dont think they were quite as expensive as the defender either ?
you should look at bronco6g forums. There’s a ton of people spending 50-60k for a bronco. Once you select wildtrak and add options, it puts you close to 60. And even at that point, defender still have base specs that are nicer.

I didn’t realize the new defender had a plastic/rubber floor and back to the seats, making it easier to clean. By comparison, only the black diamond has something comparable. But on that I can’t choose options that I could choose on big bend which is a trim line beneath it. It’s weird and it’s annoying and it’s what is driving me to cross shop.

in my head, I just can’t bring myself to pay 45k for a Ford. A ford. And it’s more of a toy. I’m sure it’ll be capable off road but it’ll ride like a wrangler which on a highway tends to sway with a breeze and gets loud at higher speeds. Defender I find convenient in that it’s capable of road and comfortable on road.

still gotta test drive it and the 4runner

The following users liked this post:
Iceman153 (01-16-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 06:20 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Overlanderx
you should look at bronco6g forums. There’s a ton of people spending 50-60k for a bronco. Once you select wildtrak and add options, it puts you close to 60. And even at that point, defender still have base specs that are nicer.

I didn’t realize the new defender had a plastic/rubber floor and back to the seats, making it easier to clean. By comparison, only the black diamond has something comparable. But on that I can’t choose options that I could choose on big bend which is a trim line beneath it. It’s weird and it’s annoying and it’s what is driving me to cross shop.

in my head, I just can’t bring myself to pay 45k for a Ford. A ford. And it’s more of a toy. I’m sure it’ll be capable off road but it’ll ride like a wrangler which on a highway tends to sway with a breeze and gets loud at higher speeds. Defender I find convenient in that it’s capable of road and comfortable on road.

still gotta test drive it and the 4runner
Those are great points. I am trying to use that comparative logic to justify spending the amount to get an hse level defender. I also dont like Ford as a brand and have no sentimentality attached to it like some might.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm in a similar situation. I had a 2003 Discovery SE and loved it (kept it ~ 10 years). I've been watching the Defender, but have been somewhat on the fence. I was lucky on the night of the Bronco launch, and snagged an early "First Edition" reservation. Since then, I've had the opportunity to test drive a P300 Defender and really loved it. Several things about the Bronco you may not know -- towing is limited to 3,500 lbs, and that's also subject to GVWR limits. In the case of the First Edition, Ford won't even equip it with the tow package (or roof rails) due to concerns about exceeding GVWR. I'm also a bit concerned about gas mileage... I suspect the P300 will be much better. Although I haven't cancelled my Bronco reservation yet, I'm more of a "Land Rover" guy than a "Bronco" guy, and I suspect I'll ultimately pull the trigger on a Defender.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:28 PM
4wd Low
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. choodles
Did not expect P300 to be so lovely on the road, but it was. Smooth power delivery. Not a whole lot of noise. The car on the lot was a bit too much pushing $70K and not in the color that I liked. I'll do a custom build for < $60K and place the order soon. Just out of curiosity, has anyone reported any issues with engine, transmission on P300?
just over 2500 miles on mine and have had zero issues.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:30 AM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
I'm in a similar situation. I had a 2003 Discovery SE and loved it (kept it ~ 10 years). I've been watching the Defender, but have been somewhat on the fence. I was lucky on the night of the Bronco launch, and snagged an early "First Edition" reservation. Since then, I've had the opportunity to test drive a P300 Defender and really loved it. Several things about the Bronco you may not know -- towing is limited to 3,500 lbs, and that's also subject to GVWR limits. In the case of the First Edition, Ford won't even equip it with the tow package (or roof rails) due to concerns about exceeding GVWR. I'm also a bit concerned about gas mileage... I suspect the P300 will be much better. Although I haven't cancelled my Bronco reservation yet, I'm more of a "Land Rover" guy than a "Bronco" guy, and I suspect I'll ultimately pull the trigger on a Defender.

just curious, have you considered buying and selling bronco for a profit? It’s an idea I’ve been toying with due to the demand

Old 01-15-2021, 05:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Overlanderx
just curious, have you considered buying and selling bronco for a profit? It’s an idea I’ve been toying with due to the demand
Yes, I've considered it but there's a lot of risk variables. The allocation schedule is very much in the air (I could get a Bronco in the first month, or it could be 6 months later). Also, Ford will be cranking these out so the "newness" will only last so long. Third -- how to sell it? this would be a ~ $65K vehicle, so after taxes it would need to sell for $80K + to really make the flip worthwhile. That might not be an easy buyer to find -- I'm not even sure how to find them. The obvious move would be to sell on BringATrailer. I sold my Evo on BAT and while it worked out fine, it was a bit of a harrowing experience.

In the end, I'll probably just cancel and let my slot go to someone else who really wants a Bronco. The Bronco interior (vs Defender) is what really put me off. I keep wanting to like the Bronco, but the Defender is just much more right for me I think. But... I haven't cancelled that Bronco yet

Old 01-15-2021, 01:29 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

Interesting to see bronco6g people here, I was on that train too but for all the reasons you guys quoted above, I cancelled my day 2 bronco order about a month ago and put in an order for a 2021 defender S. I also contemplated keeping it to flip, but I think you are right RedAustin, the Risk/Reward just isn't there on it.

Unless you are getting a very basic bronco the price gets close to a base defender really quickly. You get a lot more value with the defender, the interior is what really pushed me over the edge too, ford really screwed that up bad. In that price bracket the interior needs to be quality, what they ended up with was barely any improvement on the 13 yr old FJ I have now, take away the LCD's and they are quite similar. If those launch interiors were available it might have helped a bit, but honestly even if the interior was on par the defender as a vehicle still offers a lot more in terms of comfort/luxury, particularly when on-road. as long as the open air is not a must have, the defender is a far superior daily driver.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:55 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman153
Interesting to see bronco6g people here, I was on that train too but for all the reasons you guys quoted above, I cancelled my day 2 bronco order about a month ago and put in an order for a 2021 defender S. I also contemplated keeping it to flip, but I think you are right RedAustin, the Risk/Reward just isn't there on it.

Unless you are getting a very basic bronco the price gets close to a base defender really quickly. You get a lot more value with the defender, the interior is what really pushed me over the edge too, ford really screwed that up bad. In that price bracket the interior needs to be quality, what they ended up with was barely any improvement on the 13 yr old FJ I have now, take away the LCD's and they are quite similar. If those launch interiors were available it might have helped a bit, but honestly even if the interior was on par the defender as a vehicle still offers a lot more in terms of comfort/luxury, particularly when on-road. as long as the open air is not a must have, the defender is a far superior daily driver.
The FJ is an interesting comparison as they seem to be holding their values higher than I think a vehicle of their age should be. I gotta imagine the bronco is going to push their resale value down somewhat but I guess that depends on what type of bronco ends up being the most common...It seems like alot of the defenders I see into my dealership are over $70k which I think is attracting more of the crowd wanting big wheels and non off road tires...

I wonder if Toyota will bring the FJ back..they still produce it in some other places...

Old 01-15-2021, 02:07 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Moretti
The FJ is an interesting comparison as they seem to be holding their values higher than I think a vehicle of their age should be. I gotta imagine the bronco is going to push their resale value down somewhat but I guess that depends on what type of bronco ends up being the most common...It seems like alot of the defenders I see into my dealership are over $70k which I think is attracting more of the crowd wanting big wheels and non off road tires...

I wonder if Toyota will bring the FJ back..they still produce it in some other places...
Well the values went up after they were discontinued here, I got lucky with mine, bought it at the absolute low and its worth almost double what I paid for it somehow. Maybe if they did a lot of modernization to it they could bring it back, heck they could turn it into an open roof concept as well, that would be pretty cool. Not seeing much innvoation out of toyota lately, even their new stuff feels 20 years old, so I doubt we'll see it back for a while.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just joined this forum and I am also one from the bronco6g forum. I have have 7/15 (day 2) res for the Bronco, but all that I am reading and where I stand with my dealer and their allocation, I would not get a Bronco until 2022. Don't think I want to wait that long. Went and test drove a D110 P300 yesterday and it was very nice. Was not sure about the turbo 4, buy it zipped along nicely. Does not sound as nice as my older 5.4 Triton V8 in my F150, but the mpg will be better and there is enough power. The bump to the P400 is just to rich for my blood. I am now seriously considering placing order for a D90 P300 S. It's more than the Bronco I has going to order, but it's a much luxurious. Plus dealer said custom order would be about 12 weeks. Dealer is getting a D90 in about 4-6 weeks. I'll wait to look at and test drive. I have to say I do love the interior on the D, especially the powder coated magnesium back dash panel.

Quick Reply: Test Drove P300 - Now I need to save $