2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove P300 - Now I need to save $

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 01:35 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Just sharing, take it for what it's worth (which is not much) -- I canceled a Bronco 4 door order when I saw a Defender on the lot that worked for me. I don't think this was completely impulsive -- I think that the Defender is just a better vehicle for my needs. This is a great highway vehicle and road tripping with a bunch of kids is a big use case. I think the Bronco likely will be superior to the Wrangler on the highway, but I think the Defender will win this use case hands down given its platform and non-removable roof. The Defender can do a lot more than I need it to do -- I spend a lot of time on unpaved roads, which are pretty much a mess from winter through mud season. The Defender's air suspension is awesome and luxury SUVs with sport biased suspensions and huge wheels with rubber band tires are just dumb in this setting (and always equipped on the trim levels you'd want). People do just fine on these roads with Subarus (have one of those too), Renegades/Cherokees/Grand Cherokees, Toyota/Honda SUVs, pickups, and even those luxury SUVs with bad wheels vs. needing a true off-roader; however, the Defender makes this kind of driving fun and comfortable. If you're looking for something closer to a Rubicon and really want to take the roof/doors off... then I think you might want to hold out for the Bronco. If you're looking for a better Wrangler Sahara, 4Runner, Grand Cherokee ... I think the Defender is a better choice than the Bronco (ignoring cost as a variable). None of this meant to be fighting words!

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 01:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also a bronco6g convert... I had a 7/14 reservation and was all set on a squatched badlands fully loaded. I convinced myself 60k for a car I couldn’t even see in person before ordering was okay. Then, I took a drive one afternoon past the JLR dealer and saw a 110 X model right out front... One test drive later and I’m waiting for my P400SE for a little bit more than the bronco. I’m very happy, and now I don’t have to worry about putting my RTT on top, or towing my boat with kids in the back seat.

Last edited by JHDefender; 01-22-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:25 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JHDefender
I am also a bronco6g convert... I had a 7/14 reservation and was all set on a squatched badlands fully loaded. I convinced myself 60k for a car I couldn’t even see in person before ordering was okay. Then, I took a drive one afternoon past the JLR dealer and saw a 110 X model right out front... One test drive later and I’m waiting for my P400SE for a little bit more than the bronco. I’m very happy, and now I don’t have to worry about putting my RTT on top, or towing my boat with kids in the back seat.
Man, the kids have to ride in the back seat of the boat while you tow? Rough!

Old 01-22-2021, 02:27 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by expatbrit
Man, the kids have to ride in the back seat of the boat while you tow? Rough!
Yeah, these new Mastercraft’s come with DOT approved car seats don’t ya know

Old 01-22-2021, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am coming to that same conclusion. I loved the Bronco and the idea of the ruggedness and removeable doors and roof. If I could get one by the summer I would of done it without a doubt. But, I always knew that I would never be doing true 4 wheeling with it, let alone rock crawling. I was getting it because it looked cool. But, knowing I need to wait for potentially a year to get one. I don't want to wait that long. I go agree that the Defender will be much better on road, more comfy and luxurious than the Bronco, and will be more off road capable than what I need. I just need to swallow the price bump. I think the Defender might satisfy my want of luxury and ruggedness.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:44 PM
Mudding
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JHDefender
Yeah, these new Mastercraft’s come with DOT approved car seats don’t ya know
Honestly, even as not-even-remotely-a-kid? How bloody cool would THAT BE? In the boat behind the car?

Old 01-22-2021, 04:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

I just returned from the LR Dealer after test-driving the P300 and P400 back-to-back. I had driven the P300 once before. What surprised me (and my wife, who accompanied me this time) was how smooth the P300 was. The P400 definitely had more power, but for some reason (perhaps the config/extra weight?) it felt more "truck-like" and the power delivery wasn't as smooth. The P300, while slower, was perfectly fine (faster than my old Discovery for sure) and more quiet. It made me wonder... if there were more P300 on the dealer lots if people would choose it for the smoothness.

The only wrinkle is the lack of fully-electric seats. That feature alone may push us into the P400 (I'm guessing that spec was done by design for the upsell).

I suspect I'll be busy with the Defender configurator for the next few hours!

Old 01-22-2021, 04:25 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
I just returned from the LR Dealer after test-driving the P300 and P400 back-to-back. I had driven the P300 once before. What surprised me (and my wife, who accompanied me this time) was how smooth the P300 was. The P400 definitely had more power, but for some reason (perhaps the config/extra weight?) it felt more "truck-like" and the power delivery wasn't as smooth. The P300, while slower, was perfectly fine (faster than my old Discovery for sure) and more quiet. It made me wonder... if there were more P300 on the dealer lots if people would choose it for the smoothness.

The only wrinkle is the lack of fully-electric seats. That feature alone may push us into the P400 (I'm guessing that spec was done by design for the upsell).

I suspect I'll be busy with the Defender configurator for the next few hours!
Yeah, What pushed me to the P400 was the ability to get cooled seats... I didn’t notice any truckiness because I’ve been daily driving an F-150 for 5 years and the Defender is lightyears better to drive than that.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (01-23-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 06:09 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I thought you could order a 2020 with the cooled/full power seats in the P300 S trim... just saw you cannot on the 2021 configurator (probably my mistake on 2020). No one else is driving mine, so I was willing to let this go. If the P300 feels good to you... then go with your own gut. Unless you're going to tow, I think the difference comes down to individual preference. I do think towing with the P300 would expose the need for more power. Reviewers of the P400 really like it and describe it as easy to drive and easy to live with.... a V8/SVR... now that thing is probably going to have some daily driving trade offs when it comes out! I didn't love my AMG as a daily driver but loved it for highway trips and back roads!

Last edited by patpatriot6; 01-22-2021 at 06:22 PM. Reason: factual update