2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these unrealistic to own for 20 years?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 09:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,394 Likes on 688 Posts

For me the question is more like “Why would I WANT to drive this for 20 years?” Sure, it’s nice and cutting edge and beautiful and eye-catching to nearly everybody who sees it now, and will be for a few more years. And eventually, if ICE vehicles are still allowed on the road and can be fueled, it will acquire the sort of rugged vintage classic feel Series Landies and FJ40s and CJ5s and Broncos enjoy today. But between now and then is a LOOOOOOONG stretch of time where you’re just driving an old, needy, hoopty of a truck, something that’s too much like a new 2032 model to feel vintage or unique or quirky or old-school, yet too old and broke down to get you the new interactive holographic HUD and iPhone 21 CarPlay connection, and the AC is always on the fritz and the bushings all need replaced because they squeak and it uses a quart of oil every 800 miles and the sunroof leaks and the left rear window won’t go down anymore and etc… So you have to spend all kinds of coin on this thing that’s no longer cool and also not yet cool again, and doesn’t drive nearly as well as new ones, nor offer the exhilarating experience of an old one.

Naw… I’ll move on and either get an old restored one, for occasional weekend use, or a new one for DD duties.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

No. They are a giant computer on wheels. Literally everything is wired together and run by electronics, software updates, etc.. Every car/suv today is going to be junk in 20 years.., with of course the few exceptions.

The point is not to look that far down the road but to buy one now and enjoy the heck out of while you can, for as long as it last.

Last edited by stillruns; 08-04-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:50 PM
Winching
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts

oil based fuel will be outlawed by then

Old 08-05-2021, 04:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,190 Likes on 851 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
No. They are a giant computer on wheels. Literally everything is wired together and run by electronics, software updates, etc.. Every car/suv today is going to be junk in 20 years.., with of course the few exceptions.

The point is not to look that far down the road but to buy one now and enjoy the heck out of while you can, for as long as it last.
Exactly.

Personally, l'd not own anything made in the last five years a day after it went out of warranty. Especially foreign stuff.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts
Default Th

Originally Posted by disco96sd
oil based fuel will be outlawed by then
There's one problem that nobody seems to be able to answer about that.

Our modern lifestyle entirely depends on crude oil. Without it, almost everything you use on a daily basis would disappear.

47% of a barrel of crude is gasoline. We pump enough gas to circle the Earth almost 4x per year in barrels stacked touching each other.

Rockefeller was just a sad millionaire selling lamp oil and burning off his "waste" gasoline until the ICE came along and made him a billionaire.

In an electric world, we have few options for all this gas. Burn it off, pump it back in the ground, or find another use for it (they're trying but still no options).

Maybe we can use it to power generators to charge our electric cars.?

Last edited by _Allegedly; 08-05-2021 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Parts Supply --- When it runs out, the vehicle becomes unusable.

Rust -- When the bodies and frames rust out, the parts supply ceases because the quantity of consumers is small. We should not expect to enjoy the degree of reverence for the vehicle to be able to buy new frames (as we can with the series land rovers). Yes, the new Defender is partially aluminum, but some critical body parts and carry through beams are steel.

Electronics -- I am trying to minimize. Even so, I just this week was left with a fully dead LR4, on the side of the road, had to hire a flat bed truck, due to a failed Electronic control unit for the fuel pump. Found it was backordered for several months and none of the 6 JLR dealers I normally buy from would take my money, as no promise dates are being provided -- a casualty of the global chip shortage, I suspect.

I found a new one (purportedly) on ebay and it supposedly is to be delivered today. Hopefully, all will work out?

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (08-06-2021)