Sponsored by:

Thumping Sound/Diff. Campaign?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 04:57 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thumping Sound/Diff. Campaign?

Folks,

My 2020 110S with about 38,000 on it has a recurring "thumping" sound when I first pull out of my garage, makes turns at low speeds etc. With some research here and some great previous postings here, it sounds exactly like an existing Service Bulletin re: knocking sounds etc seen here: https://dot.report/bulletins/10227443. I have the locking rear diff.

As it's under warranty, and two other things need replacement (wireless charger and rear windshield cleaning fluid) I asked my local dealer to look at it, and provided the specific campaign info. They even had me drive with the senior tech who heard it immediately.

I received a note from them saying that "for noise he is pricing out servicing rear diff it calls to perform that before any warranty repairs if it has yet been serviced, we are checking a couple other bulletins but this one appears to be more applicable based on the symptoms." The Passport shows fluid servicing isn't due until 63K or 6 years, so I'm well under that. Assuming it's related to the diff, I don't think I should be on the hook for any cost, particularly as it;'s a known issue, But I'd appreciate others' experience on this front.

I have yet to receive the official estimate, at which point I'll begin the back-and-forth but any additional insight would be most helpful, thanks.

Old 04-29-2024, 05:40 PM
Mudding
Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

Have you tried driving around with the diff locks info screen showing so you can see when it's locking and unlocking?

Mine has a thud sound in certain circumstances of taking off from stops quickly and certain left or right turns from a stop sign.

Old 04-30-2024, 05:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 621 Likes on 200 Posts

They want u to pay for the diff oil change that is stated in the bulletin? Is your vehicle still under the new vehicle warranty? Or is it now cpo or aftermarket warranty?

Old 04-30-2024, 06:00 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I believe that will be the case based upon the initial feedback I received but they haven’t sent anything formal yet so they may be discussing. My car is under the original factory warranty, which doesn’t expire until Nov. 2024, and is well under the mileage limit.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Under new vehicle warranty, since there's a service bulletin, you should not be paying for the fluid exchange. I had a client go through this exact scenario and they did the fluid change as the bulletin described. The symptom subsided long enough for the vehicle to go out of warranty. Then his extended warranty would not cover the noise complaint and he had to fight tooth and nail because he did complain about the original concern before the warranty was up. Inevitably you will need a differential replacement, so I would make sure you have all the documentation that you complained about this concern before the warranty was up. After fussing a lot, the dealership finally did the right thing and replaced his differential under Goodwill.

The following users liked this post:
Pangea123 (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,182 Likes on 915 Posts

What is the service bulletin number? I might be hearing something similar. Thought it was pretty normal as it's only from an occasional sanding start. Sort of a bind up release. was my thinking.

Old 04-30-2024, 11:39 AM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I have it too on my 2020 110 P400 SE. I had LR Seattle drive it and they claimed they couldn't hear it. I gave them a printout of that service letter (SSM75898 posted in the other post) and they said my VIN isn't covered and that the campaign is over. Was a BS answer but I couldn't get anywhere further with them and now I have moved out of state and am 200 miles from the nearest LR dealer in Spokane...

I'd love to hear there is a renewed/valid campaign for 2020s.

Last edited by rcmike57; 04-30-2024 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:19 PM
Rock Crawling

The thumping noise is absolutely not normal. It is definitely early warning sign for differential failure. That campaign was limited to specific year and VIN numbers, but the reality is nothing has changed with the current rear active differential. It's been the same since the l405. So the reality is they may not be able to do the bulletin, but they can still replace the defective part, which is the differential. Simple check is to pull the fuse for the rear active differential and then drive the vehicle to see if the noise goes away. If it goes away it technically needs a differential. JLR is not going to want to acknowledge this, because they do not want to replace all of these differentials. It's a numbers game. Sad but true

The following 6 users liked this post by sarek:
Can_Glu (05-01-2024), CincyRovers (05-01-2024), GavinC (04-30-2024), Jbiggzs (05-01-2024), nashvegas (05-01-2024), rcmike57 (04-30-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-01-2024, 09:19 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sarek
The thumping noise is absolutely not normal. It is definitely early warning sign for differential failure. That campaign was limited to specific year and VIN numbers, but the reality is nothing has changed with the current rear active differential. It's been the same since the l405. So the reality is they may not be able to do the bulletin, but they can still replace the defective part, which is the differential. Simple check is to pull the fuse for the rear active differential and then drive the vehicle to see if the noise goes away. If it goes away it technically needs a differential. JLR is not going to want to acknowledge this, because they do not want to replace all of these differentials. It's a numbers game. Sad but true
Do you know of a way to see if my VIN is covered under this TSB?

Old 05-01-2024, 12:19 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Sarek. Is the "fuse" you refer in the Rear Junction Box?

I couldn't find it in the Owner's Manual fuse chart, but there is a "LINK 7R 40.0A" shown in the Repair Manual:

Quick Reply: Thumping Sound/Diff. Campaign?