Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing an Airstream Basecamp 20x with 110 p400 questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 09:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Towing an Airstream Basecamp 20x with 110 p400 questions

We've got a Defender 110 with p400 engine as well as an Airstream Basecamp 20X. All the tow package is there and we initially went with Land Rovers claim that there would be no need for anti-sway bars nor a Weight Distribution hitch. However it can be very windy where I live and last summer had a pucker inducing sway start that the "built in anti sway" system seemed to do nothing about so we've decided to get something added to help combat the sway. Anyone out there have any experience with either of those systems? Even more ideally, someone who has a Basecamp 20X as well? I was thinking of just slapping a friction based anti-sway bar on but then heard those are not worthwhile and that one should just go straight to the Weight Distribution Hitch, which has anti-sway as well as the weight dist. Curious if the WDH is just overkill and the anti-sway is sufficient or if it's worthwhile to spend the extra bucks and go full WDH? Thanks!

Also has anyone actually used the Advanced Tow assist feature? Does it actually work? How tight a corner can you back into? Did you get the sticker that's meant to go on the trailer cuz I don't see one anywhere in our vehicle?

Old 04-01-2023, 11:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 109 Posts

I tow a 7,000 lb 25' Airstream with an EAZ LIFT WD hitch and a pair of way controls with the 110 p400. For a Basecamp which is considerably lighter, a WD hitch may be overkill, but sway control is probably a wise safety precaution. A single friction plate which is available from Amazon should address your concern and give you peace of mind. Sway Controls – Eaz-Lift. The folks at Can-Am RV Center have deep experience and can likely give you some solid advice.

Old 04-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

I towed similar specs lance trailer without any sway control aids or WDH. Not necessary.
And airstream is more aerodynamic and easier to tow.
Because it is single axle trailer, get some tpms system.

Old 04-01-2023, 01:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

We tow a TAB400 which is comparable to the Basecamp. We use no sway controls, and have never had an issue. See my post here for a possible solution.

Old 04-01-2023, 04:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 253 Likes on 164 Posts

Can you fit something like ATC which activates the caravan's brakes to stop a sway.

Also the AL-KO (or similar) tow ball hitch does work well, although not as effective as ATC

Old 04-01-2023, 04:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by lightning
Can you fit something like ATC which activates the caravan's brakes to stop a sway.

Also the AL-KO (or similar) tow ball hitch does work well, although not as effective as ATC
actually brake controllers like Prodigy have dedicated brake button, stops sways very well.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:31 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnycat
We've got a Defender 110 with p400 engine as well as an Airstream Basecamp 20X. All the tow package is there and we initially went with Land Rovers claim that there would be no need for anti-sway bars nor a Weight Distribution hitch. However it can be very windy where I live and last summer had a pucker inducing sway start that the "built in anti sway" system seemed to do nothing about so we've decided to get something added to help combat the sway. Anyone out there have any experience with either of those systems? Even more ideally, someone who has a Basecamp 20X as well? I was thinking of just slapping a friction based anti-sway bar on but then heard those are not worthwhile and that one should just go straight to the Weight Distribution Hitch, which has anti-sway as well as the weight dist. Curious if the WDH is just overkill and the anti-sway is sufficient or if it's worthwhile to spend the extra bucks and go full WDH? Thanks!

Also has anyone actually used the Advanced Tow assist feature? Does it actually work? How tight a corner can you back into? Did you get the sticker that's meant to go on the trailer cuz I don't see one anywhere in our vehicle?
I have a Defender 110 (p400 as well) and just bought the Basecamp 20x. What setup are you using of the tow hitch? I want to try to stay within the manual's recommended dimensions and keep the trailer far enough back from the rear mounted spare. Any help would be really appreciated.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Willd2021
I have a Defender 110 (p400 as well) and just bought the Basecamp 20x. What setup are you using of the tow hitch? I want to try to stay within the manual's recommended dimensions and keep the trailer far enough back from the rear mounted spare. Any help would be really appreciated.
Did you ever figure this out? I have a 20x Basecamp on the way and need to figure out the towing solution for this spare tire and brake controller issue.

Old 01-01-2024, 01:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

We tow a 22’ single axel Airstream without any sway or weight distribution systems. When we first started pulling it with the Defender, we used a extended hitch because the spare tire was in the way of the trailer’s electric lift. Pulling it on the interstate was a white knuckle experience that I learned how to manage. What finally made the difference for us was to relocate the spare tire to the roof rack during camping season. Now we use a “normal” length hitch and have 0 issues with sway. Others modify their electric lifts, but the probability of me needing that spare up on the roof is low - and moving it twice a year (when my son is home) isn’t a big deal. Short version of the story is to avoid extra long hitches and find a different solution - no matter what that is …

The following 2 users liked this post by wlindsey@gmail.com:
pinion (04-23-2024), R-dubb (01-28-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 01:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
I tow a 7,000 lb 25' Airstream with an EAZ LIFT WD hitch and a pair of way controls with the 110 p400. For a Basecamp which is considerably lighter, a WD hitch may be overkill, but sway control is probably a wise safety precaution. A single friction plate which is available from Amazon should address your concern and give you peace of mind. Sway Controls – Eaz-Lift. The folks at Can-Am RV Center have deep experience and can likely give you some solid advice.
how do you manage the hitch weight? We’re interested in getting a 25’ AS but the hitch weight is 150lbs over spec. Looking for ways to solve the problem. Love the 25’ configurations.

Quick Reply: Towing an Airstream Basecamp 20x with 110 p400 questions