Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking Defender issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 07:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
What trim level you have? Do you have the smoked out brakes? Maybe someone high beamed them in the parking lot??
No I don't think I have the smoked lights. It's just a P300 90-S trim with Carpathian paint. If the actual light was toast it would be easier to explain because then it wouldn't turn on when I apply the brakes, but it does turn on with brakes applied and / or turn signal, strange problem. I'm thinking this will be my first service visit unless there's some weird rain-dance I can do with a 'reset' of some sort. I had one thing correct itself a month ago where the interior lights after turning them on wouldn't turn off until I got out of the vehicle shut off the engine completely then got back in again to restart. No similar joy with this new issue though.

Last edited by Chief65; 01-08-2022 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:30 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief65
…the passenger-side tail lights are all off. …The driver's side tail lights are lit like they should be
This may be normal and is common in BMW and Mercedes. It’s considered a “safety parking” feature when parked curbside so on-coming cars can see the parked car.
See if this article helps:
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...ide-car-269684

The following users liked this post:
Chief65 (01-09-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 12:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dj200
This may be normal and is common in BMW and Mercedes. It’s considered a “safety parking” feature when parked curbside so on-coming cars can see the parked car.
See if this article helps:
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...ide-car-269684
Thanks for the thought but nope not normal in this case. Brought it in for service this morning, after waiting two hours LR dealer is saying it needs a new tail light. They don't know when they will have it due to parts shortages and covid. Two years ago they'd typically have it next day. It may be by the end of the week, that's as far as he'd go (service advisor). Then when the part gets here they have to drop the bumper to replace, nice design but I should be able to wait for that while it's done. Loaner vehicles are a problem too, they have several people driving loaners for upwards of two months now waiting for parts on vehicles that can't be driven. Another problem they never had until recently is a lot of parts are coming in damaged. Luckily my Defender can be driven while I wait for the part, the brake lights work and the turn signals. Once again more doubts come to mind about my decision to buy one of these things. It's cool and all but I have my doubts that i'll consider it to be 'worth' the headaches down the road.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Sorry to hear of your taillight. One comment: The tech does not need to remove or drop the rear bumper to replace the taillight assembly. The endcaps above the bumper come off and then the taillight is below the lower endcap. Powerful UK shows it in a video.

Chief65 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 05:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Got a call late afternoon last Friday, taillight arrived and they had two appointment slots available this week so I made an appointment for today. Showed up on time and relayed the info about not having to drop the bumper to replace it as suggested. I watched powerful UK last night so I knew what was what. Service advisor said our instructions say drop the bumper so that's what we'll have to do. He also said it's a recall. At this point I'm like ok, whatever you guys need to do. I know the recall is on smoked lights but why bother, I'm wasting my breath. Two hours later I've been working remotely from the showroom, cute girl comes to me with a pen and paper to sign here because it's ready. Cool. I get into it and start it up and it's a bright sunny day so I couldn't see the lights worth a crap. Anyway, I figured I'll have a little faith in these guys since it's my first repair and check it all out after work tonight. Of course tonight it's lit, I'll give them that but it's now lit 100% of the time in the round center area. The light that works properly on the left side has the squares lit and the round center lights only light when braking (or turn signalling) so I'll have to call tomorrow and make another appointment, that'll be my third for this, and counting....

Old 01-18-2022, 05:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Hmm that's no good for sure. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

One idea - they may have installed an EU market taillight on your NAS car (or vice-versa, or part may have been in wrong box). Causes all sorts of weird lighting patterns, and I seem to recall watching a video a year or so ago of someone installing NAS taillights on a car in the UK, and they got something similar -- weird light illumination patterns when braking, turning, lights on and off, etc. Might be worth chking part #'s.

Either way - if this is a main franchise LR dealer, that's super lame that they can't get this sorted on the first visit for you! Hang in !

PS - it's also *not* a recall for the red-colored lights. Only the smoked ones that come on the X etc. But yours is the second story of a dealer saying the red lamps were recalled to a customer I've heard.

Chief65 (01-18-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 11:01 AM
Mudding

Had a slow coolant leak. Dealer replaced "charge air cooler outlet hose" under warranty.
No big deal, except it took two weeks to get the part from the UK - and no loaner cars available (welcome to 2022).

They also did some software updates for errors "Cruise Control Unavailable", "Emergency Braking Unavailable", "Lane Keep Assist Unavailable".
The update included:
- Instrument Panel Cluster Control Module
- Cruise Control Module
- Side Object Detection Control Module
- Near Field Sensing Module

Old 03-13-2022, 04:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@dj200 - I would consider two weeks a win!<g> I've been hearing some waits much longer than that. Yeah, I think many of these Dealers are just taking advantage of the "Loaner" situation. I really wouldn't care if it was a JLR product or not, just need a ride. That seems like a LOT of software errors. Did you have them queued up or did they just take care of all of them at once?

Old 03-13-2022, 07:31 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
That seems like a LOT of software errors. Did you have them queued up or did they just take care of all of them at once?
Those software errors all appeared one after the other - repeatedly. So the dealer just updated the software (all at once) for the most likely subsystems (ie. front facing cameras and sensors). I got the impression that doing these software updates is pretty easy - they just plug in a custom computer (ODB port), select the updates to install, and press go.

There are no TSBs or SSMs for this issue but the software update seems to have fixed the problem.

GrouseK9 (03-13-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 02:55 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rock chips all over the back of the rear doors and matte black plastic lower panel in front of the rear tires. They're getting trashed. Can't figure out why this is happening, because there are no issues behind the front wheels. 8,000 mostly highway miles.

Quick Reply: Tracking Defender issues