2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UHaul Tow hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 08:29 AM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Future New Defender Buyers: For the sake of all of us in the used Defender pool down the road…please please just tick the box on the Tow Hitch Receiver. It is just a few hundred bucks. Even if you do not need it personally it will definitely pay off and expose you to TWICE the buyer market if you later decide to sell privately. The dealer will consider during a trade-in as well. Just get it and be done with it.
I cannot tell you how many used Defenders I have looked at online that met all my specs…except…they didn’t have a tow hitch. Instant rejection for me.

As you can see from the previous posts, if you don’t order from factory it is a giant and expensive PITA to install later. An SUV of this caliber and size absolutely should have a tow hitch.

JLR: Just provide the Tow Hitch as a Standard option. Save us all some headache.

Dealers: when sitting with a client during the order process, explain to them the downsides of Not getting the Tow Hitch receiver.

While we are at it…tick the box for the Meridian Surround (not just Meridian) sound system. It is like $750 more…but sounds SO much better. Several audiophile reviews on YouTube describing the difference. $750 is cheap upgrade for a much better sound system. Again, an instant rejection for me if no Surround sound.

I have considered just ordering a new one myself, but am a Dave Ramsey fan and cannot tolerate a 20-25% depreciation in the first year of ownership of any new car (except Toyota and Lexus).
With love

Last edited by longtrip68; 02-20-2024 at 08:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ba_ (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 08:44 AM
4wd Low
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree about buying new vs used making that mistake many times. I did not do enough research regarding a hitch thought it was standard!

I ended up purchasing an LR4 and modding it to my needs for work/hauling! Wife wasn't to keen on me using Defender for work. Win win?

Originally Posted by longtrip68
Future New Defender Buyers: For the sake of all of us in the used Defender pool down the road…please please just tick the box on the Tow Hitch Receiver. It is just a few hundred bucks. Even if you do not need it personally it will definitely pay off and expose you to TWICE the buyer market if you later decide to sell privately. The dealer will consider during a trade-in as well. Just get it and be done with it.
I cannot tell you how many used Defenders I have looked at online that met all my specs…except…they didn’t have a tow hitch. Instant rejection for me.

As you can see from the previous posts, if you don’t order from factory it is a giant and expensive PITA to install later. An SUV of this caliber and size absolutely should have a tow hitch.

JLR: Just provide the Tow Hitch as a Standard option. Save us all some headache.

Dealers: when sitting with a client during the order process, explain to them the downsides of Not getting the Tow Hitch receiver.

While we are at it…tick the box for the Meridian Surround (not just Meridian) sound system. It is like $750 more…but sounds SO much better. Several audiophile reviews on YouTube describing the difference. $750 is cheap upgrade for a much better sound system. Again, an instant rejection for me if no Surround sound.

I have considered just ordering a new one myself, but am a Dave Ramsey fan and cannot tolerate a 20-25% depreciation in the first year of ownership of any new car (except Toyota and Lexus).
With love

Old 02-20-2024, 10:15 AM
ksw
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't argue with anything you said. However, in my case, back in late 2020, I was on a wait list to order my Defender. I finally was able to place an order in mid-2021 on what was then a 2022 model. At that time, I was told that due to shortages of tow bars it would likely delay my order by several more months if I checked that box. I took delivery in Aug 2021 sans hitch and haven't looked back. Do I wish I had a hitch? Absolutely. I've been looking for reasonably priced alternatives ever since. But after over a year of waiting when you've made up you mind on a cool new vehicle, the thought of having to wait an additional 6 months was unbearable. Call me impatient. Oh, but I did check that Meridian Surround box...