Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undertray and Modified Winch Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 06:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Day 8 - Cut Day

I spent a couple of days thinking through the design of the bumper assembly, as well as the trim build up to the grill (the part with the Land Rover badge), and decided before I started cutting into the disassembled pieces I would read the JLR instructions in detail (attached below). I was pleasantly surprised to see that the cuts they require are all those which I understood would be necessary.

Also, I confirmed in the instructions that the purpose of the outside cover kit is not structural, and only has the purpose to meet the EU pedestrian crash regulations and to cover the cut joints the instructions create. I did not and am not going to order the U.S. cover kit because I do not like the look and because I expect to mount an OEM bumper, once one becomes available.

So, with that, I started cutting apart pieces of my brand new vehicle -- whoa! I was able to make all the cuts without error -- great news.

Here are the results:

These are the leftover pieces which are going into the trash

I kept the camera in its current location, which is possible with the winch control module remotely mounted. Manual clutch handle is on the right.

These are the remaining pieces to be used

Attached Files
Old 04-08-2021, 02:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Day 9 - Pivotal learning to know if you are considering the winch kit

Life has happened over the last couple of days, so I was not able to work on the Defender -- as I waited for the winch relocation kit to arrive. It just arrived, so I will try to find a spot within 31" of the winch to install it, tomorrow. If not I will have to go with longer cables.

Today, I reassembled the bumper assm. for install -- and installed the demon reinforcing bar at the top of the bumper part which goes under the car and which forms the bottom of the open area which goes over the winch tray and winch. I do not mean to be unsupportive of JLR, but I do hope in the future, post-Covid, this winch kit will not require the owner to cut away the very bottom of one part, and use that scrap piece to screw it to another part with screws which are too small and with a new, thin piece of metal in between. Really is not worthy of a JLR vehicle, I think. Also. my kit was missing the rubber lining part P, so I fashioned something which would work.

Also, a critical learning. By reading the instructions and studying, I expected it would be possible to utilize the Aussie Roo Bar with the U.S. and UK winch tray (the one which has the U pedestrian bar hidden behind the H cover). Well, I was incorrect.

I pulled up zoolander's fine pictures and confirmed that the bar receiver welded to the winch kits (structural) are perpendicular to one another -- so no Roo bar for me.

Ready for the roo bar

see the front corner 2 in square receptacles --- 90 degrees to the same feature in the other photo. Ready for the vertical U bar

Old 04-12-2021, 06:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Day 10 - Electrical Install and Power up

Life continues to intrude on my puttering time with the Defender, so it has been a few days since I worked on the winch install.

I agree the use of the interconnected auto cut-off between the starter motor and the winch is overkill in thinking for the person operating the winch and vehicle. And so too is a wireless controller -- not necessary and not worth the $1500 premium.

I followed the approach from an earlier self-install of the winch shared by another to mount under the hood a master switch which I obtained on Amazon (they no longer offered the one the other fellow used) and mounted it on my 2020 P300 on the front right (viewing from inside vehicle looking forward) strut tower. This is also where I mounted the internal components from the winch control. I discarded the heavy metal winch control cover, but used the bottom plate, bolting it onto a flat step in front of the switch.

It was great to finally run the winch -- works great ! Wound up the rope without issue.

Switch is in the center of the photo. Negative line to the winch runs to the jump start post and positive taps in under the black fuse box rear of the positive jump start post, along with a 450 amp fuse which I ordered from Amazon (made for FORD vehicles by the way)

control module components are mounted in front and lower to the switch

The next step is to route the manual control extension (which I placed inside the red conduit) to the outside (probably through the grill), as I reinstall the front plastics.

Having the control module out of the way of the top of the winch helped in loading the rope --- I am happy to have decided to relocate it.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 04-13-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Day 11 - Almost finished !

I ran the remote control extension from the winch control module to the driver's side (US) of the vehicle under the rear lip of the radiator top cover. A good spot for it and it is away from heat. I drilled holes into the webbing of the plastic radiator frame to attach the tie wraps.

The outside trigger connection fit very well under the lights. Looks like an unexpected bump ! Should work well.

I also put on the undershield --- definitely a needed item to protect the cooling hoses and radiator.

I completed the closing up of the plastics within the wheel wells and reconnected all the electronics and secured all the wiring harnesses.
So, all is finished, excepting the front parking sensors -- which is the only thing left to do.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 04-13-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Day 12 - All Complete !

Installed and tested out the front parking sensors, today -- all working well.

I used the original sensors and the part of the bumper to which they were attached. I mounted on tapped holes on the front of the winch tray.

Took the vehicle for a test drive -- all is finished.

Take a look -- my wife added a bit of whimsy to boot !

I will take a few weeks back in the real world before I tackle the installation of the Lucky8 rock sliders.

All finished -- whew !!

Yes, with flowers. So, it goes -- very happy to have completed the work.

The following users liked this post:
majl (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 03:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Concluding comments

A few concise thoughts:

1. I understand why this install was pulled out of the dealers and factory and into the receiving dock on each continent --- it is too complicated and risky for the dealers to reliably execute in low volume, and the extra work for the factory which would change their production flow a bit and take up capacity when COVID is still here and 2021 is being skipped. If I could do two or three more of these installs, it would become a rote task pretty quickly.

2. Doing a little at a time was the only way I got through it without make a BIG mistake. Lots (too many!) of opportunities to cut or break things which should not be cut or broken. And spare parts are not plentiful right now.

3. I am pleased to save the money, complexity and unattractive looks of the wireless winch and the black cover kit. Removing the control module and not using the black cover kit closures was a good idea. Makes accessing the winch practically possible. Also makes it not hidden as much -- which is fine with me.

4. It is required to have the tow hook exposed -- I highly recommend the undertray.

5. Any third-party winch mounting not based on the JLR winch tray --- I suggest one is careful and makes sure it is crash-worthy and the geometry makes sense. The entire approach by JLR to fit the winch tray is complex logically and complex geometrically -- especially for an add-on accessory! The space to do anything new at the front of the vehicle or under the hood is mighty sparse. I was really surprised how tightly packed everything is, even with the 4 cylinder motor. The radiators are everywhere and the battery is under the front row seat -- a new world.

I have posted summary pictures of different versions..... Enjoy :

The Lucky8 hidden winch version -- which I wonder if it exists and if so how it was executed as relates to the winch tray and the crash cans. The inspiration for the project.

Here is the U.S. / UK pedestrian safe version. The same as my install without the bar and the black and silver covers (which I just don't like the look of !) -- even as some reading this have used and shared their work and I hope they are very happy!

I thought I could add the Roo Bar as a fall back -- the different mountings really surprised me.

I am happy with the results. I will need to figure out how to functionally use the mounting slots for the U bar --- a solution looking for a problem.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-22-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 06:31 PM
Drifting
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice work! Looks great!

Old 04-15-2021, 11:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Defender Aftermarket winch mounting

(See the attached photos, below)

It seems geometrically possible to achieve the Lucky8 vision for Defender winch mounting on models without the pusher fan mounted in front of the primary radiator (I suspect the pusher fan is only for the V8 version?).

To move the winch aft to a point closer to the radiator, the JLR winch tray (or some similar mounting point designed by an aftermarket supplier), one maybe? needs only to shorten or remove entirely the crash cans -- the two collapsible, aluminum struts in the JLR winch install kit which sit between the winch tray and the longitudinal members. This would allow the bumper to cover the winch tray (as shown in the Lucky8 version) and to require many fewer cuts than is necessary by the JLR winch install instructions. How would this affect front end collision safety?

I do not see Lucky8 or any other supplier yet offering an aftermarket winch mounting solution for Defender. It will be interesting to see if anyone does so in the coming couple of years and how they tackle the mounting challenge.

Mount the JLR winch tray or an equivalent three or four inches aft and the original bumper can be fully maintained.

I am not prepared to forego the crash cans or shorten them; keeping them in case of a frontal collision. My tray is exposed --- a look I like anyway (its a working winch, after all -- not decoration). The hidden winch thing confuses me.

I am looking forward to seeing if any supplier achieves what is in this photo AND makes it available to be purchased. Or if any supplier disposes of the JLR bumper entirely --- and is still able to protect the secondary radiators.

Large longitudinal members on each side of the radiator hold the winch tray and are flanked by two large auxiliary radiators. The primary radiator is hard mounted to the same transverse member which holds the front recovery eye -- inches away from the recovery hook.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:14 PM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lucky 8 should have their mount for sale next week.

Last edited by Carson G; 04-16-2021 at 08:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carson G:
GrouseK9 (06-22-2021), TrioLRowner (04-17-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 04:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Carson G
Lucky 8 should have their mount for sale next week.

Thanks for sharing this news !

Looks like the manual clutch winch with a shortened tray (transversely), as compared to the JLR winch tray. There would not be room for the wireless receiver box in the tray (not a bad thing) and the tray will not have the 2 inch square mounts for the pedestrian / Roo bar (which are unneeded in the after market). Having the tray more compact transversely allows the curve of the silver plastic trim to be completed allowing it to come out to the level of the protrusion of the tray out the front (this is not possible with the JLR tray).

Then it looks like Lucky8 has added a small black cover to cover connect the silver ends with the fairlead.

This approach should require markedly less cutting of the body work than the JLR approach. Also, I suspect the use of the crash cans does not change vs. the JLR design. Only the mounts on the tray would need to move inward -- or maybe the transverse length of the tray is stepped inward, back to front.

The picture looks very promising !

It will be very interesting to see the details.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 04-19-2021 at 09:49 AM.