Update to OS 4.1.0?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 12:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pangea123
Downloaded and installed today.

this update is a fake update.

No lane centering, no nothing. As far as I can tell it even makes the ping ponging less effective than before LOL.

Anyways it’s cool — if I wanted it to drive itself I’d buy a Tesla. We should all be careful what we wish for. Driving is the last remaining fun and totally freeing thing left in society. One more win for humans against the robots!
This does feel like a fake update. Can't tell any changes, at least on the Defender.

Side-note, does anyone know if we'll get the Driver Assistance button on the steering wheel in the US?

Old 10-03-2023, 10:02 PM
Mudding
Received 97 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Defend24
What you said is so true. In the next 15-20 years you probably wont be able to get anything but an electric vehicle.
More like 5-10 years……..

Old 10-03-2023, 10:43 PM
Mudding
Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

I wouldn’t worry too much about the EVs boys.

I have an electric Audi. It’s awesome! Just different.

Electrics will get cooler and more interesting as we go too. It’s early days yet.

I don’t think earth needs us to stop using gasoline either. Plan is, we get 90% of the BS trips to work and home that non-enthusiasts take done by electricity. Then there will still be a place for you to drive your gas Defender on a road trip or take an offroad journey! I have faith it will all work out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pangea123:
Defend24 (10-04-2023), Ratledge (11-18-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 07:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Everytime I get these updates the PiviPro gets wacky, this time my Android auto only launches about every other time I drive the vehicle, can't even launch it manually. You hit the Android auto icon from the app list and it diverts you to a config menu for the mobile data.. the window I remember where you could select "launch automatically" Android auto is nowhere to be found as well..

The following users liked this post:
mzeee (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 10:06 AM
Mudding
Received 97 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Pangea123
I wouldn’t worry too much about the EVs boys.

I have an electric Audi. It’s awesome! Just different.

Electrics will get cooler and more interesting as we go too. It’s early days yet.
I’ll buy one when my driver “AI” becomes legally liable and blenders are a standard feature. 😂😂😂

Old 10-04-2023, 10:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick4
Not to launch into a philosophical debate...but I have such an internally conflicting stance on this.

I have worked in Emergency Departments at all different levels for the last 20 years. Some of the stuff I have seen... Imagine the decline in auto-related deaths and serious injury if in 15 years, ~75% of vehicles on the roads were self-driving. Granted they need to come further along and improve, but the possibilities are huge.
On the other hand, I am a car guy, and I absolutely love driving. Whether it's my defender, my old *** Disco, or literally anything else. As you said, it is one of the most freeing things we can still do as individuals and I just love being on the open road.

I am hoping that there is a middle ground found somewhere that pairs the safety of autonomous cars with the ability to maintain my own autonomy. Who knows what the future holds.
I'll send some philosophy your way! The fundamental issue is that you are in the minority. The majority doesn't care about driving and doesn't respect what can go wrong, so they put little effort into learning to drive well, or even worse get distracted by phones. I'm always amazed how many people I see distracted by their phone while driving. I am also amazed how many people with modern Bluetooth-equipped cars still hold phones up to their heads while driving. In a better world, police wouldn't be 99% focused on speed traps. They'd be focused on red-light runners, tailgaters, people who don't signal, make improper U-turns, lane drift during left turns, cross solid lines into or out of HOV lanes, etc. Those are the truly dangerous things. In my experience they are an epidemic, and getting worse.

For what it's worth, I would like my Defender to do some self-driving with lane keeping, as there are times when I'd like to have a little less effort on long boring drives, or would like to have less than 100% attention for a few seconds while I reach for something, glance back, or have a phone call. I had another car previously that allowed those sorts of things that I found safe when not abused.

The following 2 users liked this post by mzeee:
Huc (10-04-2023), RogueRover (10-04-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mzeee
I'll send some philosophy your way! The fundamental issue is that you are in the minority. The majority doesn't care about driving and doesn't respect what can go wrong, so they put little effort into learning to drive well, or even worse get distracted by phones. I'm always amazed how many people I see distracted by their phone while driving. I am also amazed how many people with modern Bluetooth-equipped cars still hold phones up to their heads while driving. In a better world, police wouldn't be 99% focused on speed traps. They'd be focused on red-light runners, tailgaters, people who don't signal, make improper U-turns, lane drift during left turns, cross solid lines into or out of HOV lanes, etc. Those are the truly dangerous things. In my experience they are an epidemic, and getting worse.

For what it's worth, I would like my Defender to do some self-driving with lane keeping, as there are times when I'd like to have a little less effort on long boring drives, or would like to have less than 100% attention for a few seconds while I reach for something, glance back, or have a phone call. I had another car previously that allowed those sorts of things that I found safe when not abused.
Agree on all points! Even the last one. As much as I do enjoy driving, I also kinda wish I could let the car takeover sometimes and enjoy the scenery.

Old 10-05-2023, 12:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Seems like I have lost the ability to have the satellite view map on my IDD??

Old 10-05-2023, 02:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by RogueRover
More like 5-10 years……..
Hard to really know, but the recent trend is away from near-term electrification. Several major car maker CEOs are on record saying that the world will not be ready, carbon-neutral synthetic gasoline is looking promising, and the EU is backing away from all-electric mandates. We'll see....

Old 10-05-2023, 02:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Nuckle
Seems like I have lost the ability to have the satellite view map on my IDD??
You could have a satellite view? How?

Quick Reply: Update to OS 4.1.0?