Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US bull bar from Expedition One.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 418 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
Wow!! Just wow! I'm about to get a bit poorer. I love the rear bumper. Don't understand the rear tire holder. I'd love to see a video of it in action. I'm thinking that the tire swings out and then the rear door has a tire-delete (or whatever they are called) and swings out separately. Or, do they all swing out as one.

Lead time: 16-20 weeks. Ooof. Welcome to the post-pandemic supply system.

EDIT: Just read the print.... Swings as one. Still would like to see a vid.
Ya I am not sure I quite understand the benefit of that? I would like to get the rear bumper and then just leave the tire on the door and I think that would look super clean.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:19 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by inater
Ya I am not sure I quite understand the benefit of that? I would like to get the rear bumper and then just leave the tire on the door and I think that would look super clean.
I wonder if the hinge on the rear door can only hold so much weight? So if larger off road tire were mounted and the door swung, it would be too much weight? Just a guess, i don't really know.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:14 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Rear door mounted tire carriers eventually all affect the hinge mechanism over time. Add in larger tires and/or off-roading and it speeds up the wear.

It’s a common problem with Wranglers. This one looks similar to the AEV rear bumper they offer for the Jeep.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I'm thinking that big honking arm can carry more weight than the OEM door hinges. I've been vaguely reluctant to hang a lot of gear on the tire. I'd love to know what that is rated for as it could cause me to go all in on the tire as a rear rack. Lots of folks put their trax on there and hang a table on top (forgot who makes it) for coolers.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:16 AM
Drifting
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't hang anything extra off the spare tire. I'm already concerned about door hinge wear over time with just a stock spare hanging there. The arm on that bumper helping take the load off the door hinges should be a good thing. I'd be real interested if it's been tested for any weight transfer since it moves with the door. Been wheelin' on over-nighters in a jeep for 20 years with a loaded rear rack and spare carrier from Wilderness, so I'm opinionated about the weight & tipping point changes a load brings, and on the jeep, 100% of the weight is on the bumper & frame on The Wilderness carrier. This rear bumper is looking pretty good from where I sit. I'm not really looking at the defender as a serious wheeler as much as a good all-purpose/all-weather vehicle. I'm looking for bike transport options. I tried looking for some videos on the setup since the pivot location on the bumper & the door doesn't line up, so there'll need to be some mechanical answer for that. I didn't find any. I usually get into southern Utah each year, and it might be worth a drive up to their shop for a look. I like that rear bumper with the arm, especially if it's a removable arm.

Old 05-23-2023, 02:35 PM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree that despite what it says in the description, it appears that the carrier swings away independently from the door. In the one photo of the side of the carrier, there doesn’t appear to be an attachment point to the door

With that said, I’m not seeing a latch for independent movement either.

It would be cool if they could allow for water carry in the bumper like the AEV. That would be a cool gear cleaner

Old 06-03-2023, 05:00 PM
Drifting
Received 119 Likes on 25 Posts

Front end ordered, now comes the wait!

Old 06-03-2023, 07:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I could use one

My bash plate needs beating back into shape.

The following users liked this post:
4Corsa (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 09:16 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Migs8416
Front end ordered, now comes the wait!
Which variation did you go with? Can't wait to see pics. I keep asking lucky8 when they will release theirs (8 months past what they said at this point) and they don't respond. Think I may just end up going with this one!

Old 06-04-2023, 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GavinC
I could use one

My bash plate needs beating back into shape.
Thats how you use it!!

The following 3 users liked this post by inater:
curb-optional (06-06-2023), GavinC (06-04-2023), Migs8416 (06-04-2023)

Quick Reply: US bull bar from Expedition One.