2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB-C retrofits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 02:42 PM
Received 177 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
Ok, so PD means power delivery, what's a G? Like I said, lots of smoke and mirrors in all this tech.
Generation. https://www.verizon.com/about/our-co...tween-3g-4g-5g

Old 03-20-2023, 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

I was really more interested in what the 'G' was symbolic of, like why Apple has to put an 'I' in front of everything, but the watch. Not like he was Steve iJobs or something. I have really veered off course here.

Ok, back to the original thing here. I would not feel bad about putting anything over the factory model of a USB-C port, just as long as it vaguely matched the interior theme. Allegedly, I have one of those exact chargers, kind of slick, especially considering the price. I mounted mine on an ammo box I converted to a bluetooth boom box, by adding a couple of speakers and filling the interior with a big sealed battery. It is one of the goto chargers for when I go to the burn in the US, music and charging. The only thing about many of the aftermarket ones is the need to drill a square hole. I broke all of my square bits. The one Allegedly has only requires a simple round hole saw, and it gives you what the bus voltage is.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:03 PM
Received 177 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
I was really more interested in what the 'G' was symbolic of, like why Apple has to put an 'I' in front of everything, but the watch. Not like he was Steve iJobs or something. I have really veered off course here.
Like I mentioned, it represents Generation as in that generation of wireless data. It's not a technical reference but does refer to the data transmission capabilities of that generation of wireless technology.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Totally get that, but it fails in the differing bits surrounding, like LTE. Which is framed frequently with some kind of 'G' reference, rendering its generational meaning less so. Really, I am just puling on that string too hard being silly. I do wish I had kept my first iPhone however, seeing what the brick is going for now. It really gets depressing when I start to randomly start to tote up the total spent, lifetime on laptops, pads, phones, desktops. It gets worse with tube TV's, film cameras, CD's, cassette tape units. All of which became so much landfill. I am debating to toss a computer system kept after the sale of my rather big operations company. Only reason to keep it is due to much of the archived data is on Zip drives and it is the only thing to read them. But really, who cares, it was over 20 years ago. Nostalgia I suppose. All this tech is landfill in 10+ years. Perhaps it is why I liked Old Defenders and Series vehicles: absolutely zero tech that didn't originate in the 30's. I really do miss the hand crank kept behind the front seats, didn't even need a battery.

I suppose there is a point here, tech in cars is usually at least 3-5 years old when it hits the showroom floor. Lot better stuff out there than the factory supplies, considering.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:37 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuyn
For those of us who just have a bunch of blanks where the usb c hub should be.. has anyone had them installed by the dealer? Mine has told me there’s a service bulletin that it will be retrofit later but still has no info other than that
Can anyone recommend a good hub that gives additional USB C ports. A lot seem to split to USB A and other additions. I just want to connect up a couple of USB C SSD's and I want to connect to my external monitor as well Currently to do this, I use a USB C to DP adaptor Thankyou

Old 10-15-2023, 12:48 AM
Rock Crawling

Well, I ended up getting one of these:
100w USB-C DUAL PORT 100w USB-C DUAL PORT

a problem with a hub is it splits ports, and also divides up the power output. I would suspect splitting a port would confuse the PD circuitry for faster charging. I understand there is some handshaking that goes on between the device and the port to achieve the faster charging rate.

The referenced adaptor does give me the 65w I need for a couple of my device chargers, even charges my RTK-2 station, a high precision 1cm accurate, survey station. Unfortunately, only when the car is running, it is really electricity thirsty. Usually does the job in under 30 minutes, about my transit time between study areas.