Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voyager Racks Rock Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 03:02 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts
Default Voyager Racks Rock Sliders

Well, that was a bear.to install. Between the pounds of rocks and sand I collected off-road over the past couple of years that came crashing down when I removed all those fiberboard covers, skid plates, etc, and the need to remove maybe 100 bolts altogether to make room for these suckers, it took me all day yesterday (and a couple of hours this morning to clean up the mess on the garage floor...) Other than time consuming, and the lack of an installation manual that Voyager Racks is still putting together, this is doable for one person with common tools - including a rivnut install tool, some jack stands for safety and a floor jack to position the sliders before bolting them on. Andy (the owner of Voyager Racks) was also super helpful and emailed me some useful photos when I got stumped a couple of times. I told him he needs to put together a manual with photos asap for his future customers.

The sliders are made of heavy gauge steel, therefore heavy (about 200 lbs) but extremely well made and finished, virtually indestructible and thankfully all 30 holes matched the car's mounting spots to perfection. Besides better and chunkier off-road tires, a good set of rock sliders is probably the best modification you can do to a stock vehicle if you live and off-road here in the Southwest deserts.

Some photos. Don't mind the dust,

The following 7 users liked this post by umbertob:
Defender25 (04-14-2024), Defendit.. (11-13-2022), Finlander (11-13-2022), GavinC (11-13-2022), Jaredsrt (11-13-2022), nashvegas (11-13-2022), TrioLRowner (11-14-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-13-2022, 10:35 PM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks good! Nice work.

Old 11-13-2022, 11:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Super awesome

How did you put the underbody panels back on ? In most of the sliders threads, I see that as an issue folks have to tackle. (cut them? remount them? )

Old 11-14-2022, 12:06 AM
Winching

Cut them to size and use the remaining bolt holes to hang them back on. Can't really remount them as they were, since the sliders make that impossible by occupying all the original outer anchor points. The results are not the prettiest, but who cares as they are tucked down below. I am waiting for someone to come up with a couple of lightweight (aluminum) fuel tank skid plates. Both my fuel tanks have been banged pretty good already through those useless fiberboard panels.

Last edited by umbertob; 11-14-2022 at 12:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by umbertob:
mdgs (11-11-2023), POPTOPP (11-13-2023)
Old 11-14-2022, 08:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Why did you go Voyager over the Lucky8/Rhino sliders? I'm super motivated for the Rhino and they have REALLY good install instructions. That's worth some bucks to me<g>. I'm starting to look into a set and at this point there are Voyager, Rhino and Tuffant. Anyone else make them? Besides Alibamazon. For something like this, I'll stick with the normal folks.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:47 AM
Winching

A friend has the Lucky 8s, so I studied them up close. Very nice sliders for sure, but I always thought their side steps were a bit too large and stuck out a bit too much. I find the streamlined design of the Voyagers more to my liking, and with a narrower footprint a bit less likely to get hung on tight v-notches. Also, no need to drill anything with the Voyagers (you need to drill several holes to install the side trim of the Lucky 8s), which seemed to make the install marginally easier and less of a "commitment"... But they are both excellent solutions (L8 is a bit cheaper, too) and built like tanks, just heavy as hell unfortunately.

Don't know much about the Tuff Ant sliders as they are new, I bet they are considerably lighter than either Voyager or L8's, but are they / will they be available in North America? Also, I saw photos of a set installed somewhere on FB and it appeared the fixing bolt heads were sticking out under the sliders. I may have been mistaken, but that would be a major design flaw. There are also a couple of Euro manufacturers (Bas-4-Cars, ORD, Matzker) but their products are either forever unavailable or prohibitively expensive - once you add freight to the US.

The following 2 users liked this post by umbertob:
GrouseK9 (11-15-2022), Huc (11-16-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 03:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

Look nice. I have the lucky8’s and sounds like a similar install experience though their instruction sheet was pretty good. The drilling is pretty inconsequential. Took all of a minute, so they do sound very similar. Agree that the bolts sticking out of the Tuffants seem like a major design flaw as they’ll just get damaged on rocks. I did modify the front fiberboard but have yet to get under there to cut and remount the ones in the center like you did. Probably worth it just to smooth out airflow on the highway. I don’t even off road that much, but these make for great steps, and of the few times I’ve banged it around on rocks, I did nail one of the sliders to the point where I’m sure it would have damaged the door and sill. That is one good thing about the lucky8’s sticking out so far. I actually used the slider to pivot around a tree once. Didn’t even touch the door. Definitely a useful addition.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tartan:
GrouseK9 (11-15-2022), mopadzi (11-15-2022)
Old 11-09-2023, 07:01 PM
Pro Wrench

Hey @umbertob - are there access holes by chance in the Voyager sliders for the factory (crappy scissor?) jack? Just curious.

Old 11-10-2023, 08:20 AM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Getting my Voyager rock sliders next week so very much following this. I'd love to know what better jack options are out there with the Voyager sliders. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2023, 01:24 PM
Pro Wrench

Hey @johnsonmc2000 I ordered my Voyager sliders yesterday. Pulled the trigger as right now they are $500 off on the site - so $1600 instead of $2100 (as compared to $2500 on NDM's site for the same thing).

All in with shipping I was at $1900 for the Voyager sliders, should be here in 10 days as well. Perhaps we can compare install notes. I'm doing self install. You?

Quick Reply: Voyager Racks Rock Sliders