2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voyager Racks Rock Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 10:27 PM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

@nashvegas im actually having my friends shop do the install as I am hoping they will do a better job of cutting and refitting the underbody coverage. I’m going to try and be there and get involved send take plenty of pics up on the rack. I’ll get and post as I am able.

The following users liked this post:
nashvegas (11-10-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 06:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Default Rubicon Trail. Here I come!

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Hey @johnsonmc2000 I ordered my Voyager sliders yesterday. Pulled the trigger as right now they are $500 off on the site - so $1600 instead of $2100 (as compared to $2500 on NDM's site for the same thing).

All in with shipping I was at $1900 for the Voyager sliders, should be here in 10 days as well. Perhaps we can compare install notes. I'm doing self install. You?
Just pulled the trigger today too. $1718 all in with shipping to a local terminal.

I've not seen a slider for the 110 priced so well before so couldn't say no. That is a good sale they have going. Probably shifting old inventory before a new model. Who knows. I was debating between these, Tuffants and the LK8 for the longest time. Tuffants were my preference but the price and freight shipping on Tuffants is bumping them up to the $3000 mark now. Too much. I've only seen the LK8 in the flesh. Top stuff. I'm guessing these are comparable weight.

Hopefully I don't screw the pooch on the install. Excited for the terrain these will open up. Already got a few spots on the list.

Edit: I see they're having a sale on their roof rack too. I already have OEM but that's a good rack.

Last edited by GavinC; 11-11-2023 at 06:47 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GavinC:
inater (11-13-2023), johnsonmc2000 (11-12-2023), nashvegas (11-11-2023), WAFOX (11-12-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 09:51 AM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been considering the voyager rack, and with the advent of this post, now the rock sliders. However, a much older post gave me very little comfort in Voyager’s customer service, after sales support, instructions, and shipping. Have they improved these aspects? If so, it’s at the top of my list. Otherwise, the Frontrunner rack may win out.

In any case, these sliders appear well
made!

Old 11-13-2023, 10:13 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by MFESQIDAHO
I have been considering the voyager rack, and with the advent of this post, now the rock sliders. However, a much older post gave me very little comfort in Voyager’s customer service, after sales support, instructions, and shipping. Have they improved these aspects? If so, it’s at the top of my list. Otherwise, the Frontrunner rack may win out.

In any case, these sliders appear well
made!
No idea on after sales support but so far they've been great. Gave me all the info I wanted via email, helpful on the phone etc. Install instructions are a bit spartan but it looks very similar in many areas to LK8 for which there is a video.

ie: removing all the underfelt, unclip the wheel arch a little from the rear door (that's a it that I'm worried about. I really don't want to damage my wheel arches. )

Rivnuts for the trim (I really liked the Tuffant design here as they use the factory trim and no rivnutting AFAIK)

Got myself one of these. Hope it's the right doohickey

Removal and reattaching the plastic trim behind the front wheel. (apparently it breaks when you pop it off per the instructions)

Not sure if I'll cut and remount the felt or keep it as is and reattach it whenever the day comes when I am selling the vehicle and take off all my accessories for the new one.

Is there much downside to not reattaching the underfelt? Seems like they'll behave as a catch-can for all many of road and trail debris. Would love to know what folks' thoughts are on this with any of the sliders. Tuffant and LK8 simply state to remove it. Trim and repositioning seems more common but not sure I see much merit in this.

Old 11-29-2023, 09:58 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Hey @umbertob - are there access holes by chance in the Voyager sliders for the factory (crappy scissor?) jack? Just curious.
Pictures are few and far between. The website uses the OP's. Not many have gone Voyager. Looks there are no cutouts for the jacking points. I guess the slider is one giant jacking point so it doesn't really matter but I too would prefer having access to that pinch point for the scissors jack.

Ordered 11/11 I think and no sliders or info on them yet. Comms have not been very good post sale unfortunately. No tracking info despite repeated emails requesting same. Disappointing.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

@GavinC - When I put on my sliders, I tossed all of the underfelt. The following is just my uninformed opinion and I'm sure others have their own (kinda reminds me of my dad's thoughts on opinions vs. butt-holes, but that's another rant for another time). Anyway, I tossed the underfelt because: it would be a major pita to carve or origami it into a usable pattern, it catches and retains a LOT of sand & mud anyway, it lighted things up by maybe a bowel movement, and all the parts that appeared to be tender (compressor air storage for the wheels) were covered by the sliders. And, the underfelt provides minimal protection against actual damage. I figured I would get proper under armor (not the clothing!) down there when it became more readily available in the US. I kinda have the impression that it is really down there more for fuel savings than for proper protection. The Defender is designed to wade in 900cm (what's that in inches??) so I doubt all the "stuff" is supposed to be deeply protected from weather conditions anyway. So, for me - wasn't worth adding back. I admire those folks who have gotten humpty back together, but for me - it was a nope.

The following 2 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
GavinC (11-30-2023), johnsonmc2000 (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 09:55 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
@GavinC - When I put on my sliders, I tossed all of the underfelt. The following is just my uninformed opinion and I'm sure others have their own (kinda reminds me of my dad's thoughts on opinions vs. butt-holes, but that's another rant for another time). Anyway, I tossed the underfelt because: it would be a major pita to carve or origami it into a usable pattern, it catches and retains a LOT of sand & mud anyway, it lighted things up by maybe a bowel movement, and all the parts that appeared to be tender (compressor air storage for the wheels) were covered by the sliders. And, the underfelt provides minimal protection against actual damage. I figured I would get proper under armor (not the clothing!) down there when it became more readily available in the US. I kinda have the impression that it is really down there more for fuel savings than for proper protection. The Defender is designed to wade in 900cm (what's that in inches??) so I doubt all the "stuff" is supposed to be deeply protected from weather conditions anyway. So, for me - wasn't worth adding back. I admire those folks who have gotten humpty back together, but for me - it was a nope.
Thanks @GrouseK9 That's sort of my thoughts too. I recently saw a mate's rig with the LK8 sliders. A real beauty of a build. He has a sub-frame lift and is rolling on 35"s. He had the sliders installed by the same folks that did the lift in OR. They did a beautifully neat job with the felt. I was crawling under there gazing with some admiration.

Other than that example, every other one I've looked at in person is a bit rough and ready on the felt. I've seen more very neat work here in this forum of course. I suspect I lack the skill set to do it well enough to meet my wants. I don't see any significant downside to leaving them off and I can potentially revert it to stock one day. Keeping the sliders for the next Defender whenever that day will be. (No time soon as mine is new MY22 and only 35k miles)

I really appreciate the first hand feedback. Cheers. Hopefully I get some word on shipping soon.

Old 11-30-2023, 05:17 PM
Mudding
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Just had mine installed today. They rock!! My local shop has done the Lucky 8 before and these and they did think the Voyager had a couple of benefits such as the textured finish and drilling needed for the install. They don’t re-install the removed original under body coverings they removed. They said I’d ripped and trashed them enough and they didn’t think they were needed. They also commented on the tremendous amount of mud and dry dirt caught in the old - a good reminder to get in there and clean up more frequently and more thoroughly. Tires next

The following 2 users liked this post by johnsonmc2000:
GavinC (11-30-2023), paule (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 07:01 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by johnsonmc2000
Just had mine installed today. They rock!! My local shop has done the Lucky 8 before and these and they did think the Voyager had a couple of benefits such as the textured finish and drilling needed for the install. They don’t re-install the removed original under body coverings they removed. They said I’d ripped and trashed them enough and they didn’t think they were needed. They also commented on the tremendous amount of mud and dry dirt caught in the old - a good reminder to get in there and clean up more frequently and more thoroughly. Tires next

that’s great to hear. Looks the business. How was shipping speed for you?

Old 11-30-2023, 07:20 PM
Drifting
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Those look great.

Gavin, I ordered a roof rack and had shipping info within 48 hours. Shipper tracking is not functioning but I hope to see sometime next week. Florida to Idaho shouldn’t be that many days.

Regarding the felt, for those who have left it off, have you found an increase in road noise? My duramax has felt in specific locations to
cut down on road noise. Might that be the same reason?

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (12-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Voyager Racks Rock Sliders