2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the most annoying rattle you’ve found (and fix?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 06:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What’s the most annoying rattle you’ve found (and fix?)

Guys, I’m just curious what rattles and or creaks you’ve found that are consistent across others Defenders. I’ll start, a rattle on larger bumps on right top near that thin small window thing (safari window?). That’s it.

The following users liked this post:
James_newdefender110 (06-22-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 11:40 PM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I won’t be able to contribute to this thread properly until my defender arrives sometime end of June. Rest assured my ears are highly tuned to car trim rattles. Many years ago my hard driven company car was in for repairs and I had a rental car for a few weeks while it was being fixed. The rental had an annoying buzzing noise coming from one of the rear retractable seatbelt mechanisms. Rather than just ignoring it or simply swapping the car for another rental, being the idiot I am, I decided to fix it myself. Needless to say, while dismantling it, the tightly coiled spring inside forced its way out, hit me in the face and ended up completely reverse-coiled and knotted up on the floor along with a bunch of other pieces. I spent the entire day trying to wind the spring back in its housing and eventually succeeded. The look my wife gave me when she realized what I had done and what I’ve was trying to fix said it all. Shockingly, the rattle went away after I managed to put it back together. My only worry was the poor soul that would one day come to relying on that belt to do its life saving job. I still haven’t learnt my lesson and so will go to any length to track down and fix squeaks and rattles. I even have a stethoscope to help. Very sad.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheMoke:
Ahparke (04-14-2021), TheManMac (01-28-2023)
Old 04-09-2021, 01:02 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

No rattle. Solidly quiet!

The following 2 users liked this post by sblvro:
Ahparke (04-14-2021), nitesoul (10-18-2023)
Old 04-09-2021, 05:16 PM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

Everything that rattles, You still own.....

sebastienb (06-29-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 08:34 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No rattles yet but I noticed my front right speaker sound like it's blown or have a tiny rip. There's this annoying buzz sound whenever it hit some low freq.

RSR (01-18-2022)
Old 04-10-2021, 02:43 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The rig is so quiet and tight a little rattle goes a long way...A-pillar number one. The window molding a distant number two. There's also one coming from the cargo area somewhere but it might be just the fabric cover flexing a bit.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:38 PM
8th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

The window molding/weatherstripping is the most annoying to me. With the doors open, I pulled back the molding and used clear silicone to better adhere it to the door frames. Worked like a charm and was $2.99 in materials. Cheapest Land Rover fix yet.

The following 3 users liked this post by Everyday_110:
DefenderSmitty (04-30-2021), GrouseK9 (06-22-2021), JesseRohr (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 07:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator42
The rig is so quiet and tight a little rattle goes a long way...A-pillar number one. The window molding a distant number two. There's also one coming from the cargo area somewhere but it might be just the fabric cover flexing a bit.
I noticed the cargo area as well. It’s faint and I think it’s coming from the rear hatch that covers the concealed cargo area beneath the floor.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:01 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2020Defend3r
Guys, I’m just curious what rattles and or creaks you’ve found that are consistent across others Defenders. I’ll start, a rattle on larger bumps on right top near that thin small window thing (safari window?). That’s it.
I have this same exact rattle/creak except mine was on the left side. I've just about completely silenced it (95% gone) by shoving a business card in between the window trim and the insulation behind the headliner. I'll have the dealer look at it at some point but for now the card "fix" is working fine!

Otherwise, I have intermittent noise from the windshield / passenger A-pillar at higher speeds and crosswinds. It is somewhat sporadic and not that bad - I may mention it but it's not worth pulling things apart at the moment. Every now and then I hear very faint noises from the b-pillar area (probably the window trim noise I've seen mentioned) but it is even more sporadic and extremely faint. If it gets worse I'll try the silicone fix.

That's it. Frankly, 90% of the time the car is rock solid and quiet. I'm usually pretty maniacal about these types of things and so far I'm pretty pleased (although the rear window rattle was pretty bad on bumpy roads prior to the business card repair!).

mstein20 (05-10-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 08:45 AM
Drifting
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BaconL
No rattles yet but I noticed my front right speaker sound like it's blown or have a tiny rip. There's this annoying buzz sound whenever it hit some low freq.
I had the same speaker sound and the dealership fixed it last week. Said the speaker bolts weren't tightened correctly.

JDBFreeheel (04-14-2021)

Quick Reply: What’s the most annoying rattle you’ve found (and fix?)