2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s the most annoying rattle you’ve found (and fix?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 10:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 101 Likes on 30 Posts

I have been very fortunate with regards to my 2020 P400. The A-Pillar was fixed in one go round and the only other noise I've had was mentioned in a previous post of mine about the plastic end piece on the rear of the roof.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...inside-103717/

Old 04-21-2021, 12:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

For those of you who have experience noise on the A pillars, was it a true rattle, or just excessive wind noise? I haven't experienced any actual rattling, but have had more wind noise at freeway speeds than I would have expected. I know there was a dealer fix related to the A pillar, but wasn't sure if it is just for rattling parts, or if it might help with wind noise.

Also for some of you who mentioned noise coming out of the cargo area, I would check the storage compartment that holds the warning triangle on the back door. I've noticed a bit of rattle that I think comes from that part. It feels like it sits a little loose in the door. Hasn't been enough for me to be concerned enough to fix it, but something to check out if you are getting rattle from the back end.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:14 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate the wind noise and I was thinking to get some weather strips to fill in some of the body panel gaps to see if that will help.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind noise???

Newbie on the LR forum, not to LR’s. Our new 2020 Defender SE P400 has a noise at 70 mph and above. It sounds like they forgot to remove all the protective film from the A pillars or windshield/roof area and it’s flapping around. From other post descriptions I’m not sure if this is similar or already diagnosed. Less than 1000 miles. Thank you!

The following users liked this post:
James_newdefender110 (06-22-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 05:53 PM
5th Gear
Default Front right

Whistle coming from the passenger side windshield. Not every time but sometimes. I think it whistles when I go over 60-70 mph. Not too annoying...yet.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:12 AM

Hey all, I have the 110 SE 240, i get wind noise over 70 which sounds like something rattling behind the headlining at the front of the vehicle. Possibly the way the wind is hitting the screen?! Also creeky drivers door seal, not every journey, I can't work out if its temperature related, would a dry PTFE spray work?

MERCTwister (02-12-2022)
Old 06-23-2021, 10:57 AM
Mudding
Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by James_newdefender110
Hey all, I have the 110 SE 240, i get wind noise over 70 which sounds like something rattling behind the headlining at the front of the vehicle. Possibly the way the wind is hitting the screen?! Also creeky drivers door seal, not every journey, I can't work out if its temperature related, would a dry PTFE spray work?
I used some rubber and vinyl dressing by Griot's Garage on all the door seals and it stopped the slight creeking noise. Rubber has a coating when new to allow mold release; it starts as a waxy substance and then turns into a powder after molding. Wiping down the seals cleans and lubes them at the same time.

James_newdefender110 (06-23-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 09:20 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread! I recently picked up my 2022 Defender v8 and during the test drive it was very quiet (not counting the exhaust!!), however, on taking it home there is a rattling, almost like a cage or something loose type of sound, coming from what appears to be the trunk or rear door. It is very noticeable, even over music etc. and springs up the most when I hit any type of bump, make a turn, or any type of jostling of the vehicle. I have someone coming to my house Monday to show me the ropes of the vehicle and I'll certainly bring it up (#1 on my list since it's slowly driving me insane). I'm crossing my fingers that this is something that can be rectified. I don't know if I can stomach the price of this beast, which is otherwise a DREAM, if there's a noticeable and annoying rattle much worse than I have ever experienced in any other vehicle. I'll take a look at some of the points above to see if I can find a quick fix but I'm not sanguine.

l_adrianza (10-02-2022)
Old 11-02-2021, 06:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile A-Pillar Fix

Just wanted to share the fix for the flapping A-Pillar noise that is coming from the passenger side. See my post on this thread #168.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...101509/page17/

@BRW110 @BaconL @Jimjaggy @mstein20 @James_newdefender110

Old 11-02-2021, 06:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The LR Topix fix worked like a charm for me. By filling in the holes under then A pillar cover with epoxy - the flapping disappeared and the overall wind noise is a ton better. Just ask your dealer - there is a good LR fix out that worked for me.

Quick Reply: What’s the most annoying rattle you’ve found (and fix?)